AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
12,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the series focuses on the adventures of low-ranking crew members of Starfleet’s USS Cerritos...the crew is assigned the less glamorous jobs on a city-size starship while the bridge crew led by a traditionally heroic captain does all the so-called “important” work...“The big stories are happening in the bridge crew and there's more kind of social-emotional stories happening to the Lower Deckers,"

Lower Decks is set during the time period of The Next Generation, and while writer Mike McMahan can’t outright say familiar faces from the fan-favorite late-’80s, early-’90s series will appear, he sure does hint at it...“There are a lot of recognizable characters in the galaxy at that point," he says..."Next Gen is my favorite era. And as a huge Trek fan, I would definitely want to try to use some of them so that I could not only build out the world, but also work with some of my heroes...But I can't get more specific than that. You'll have to wait and see."

The first season of Star Trek: Lower Decks is expected to be released in 2020 and will consist of 10 episodes...

https://ew.com/tv/star-trek-lower-decks-next-generation/

judging by the description this has the potential to be a funny series and a different take on the Trek universe

·
Registered
12,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Star Trek Animated Spinoff Lower Decks Gets Premiere Date at CBS All Access

Star Trek: Lower Decks — a half-hour animated comedy series centered on the support staff of one of Starfleet’s least important ships, the U.S.S. Cerritos — will launch Thursday, Aug. 6th...following the premiere, new episodes of the series’ 10-episode first season will be available to stream weekly on Thursdays...

https://tvline.com/2020/07/01/star-trek-lower-decks-premiere-date-cbs-all-access-animated-spinoff/

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
‘Star Trek: Lower Decks’ Trailer, Key Art Launch Into The Media Universe
by Bruce Haring - DEADLINE - July 12, 2020

The official trailer and key art for the new animated comedy Star Trek: Lower Decks is out. The show bows on streaming subscription service CBS All Access on Aug. 6

Following the premiere, new episodes of the series’ 10-episode first season will be available to stream weekly on Thursdays, exclusively for CBS All Access subscribers in the US.

Developed by Emmy Award-winner Mike McMahan (Rick and Morty Solar Opposites), the series focuses on the support crew serving on one of Starfleet’s least important ships, the U.S.S. Cerritos, in 2380.

Ensigns Mariner, Boimler, Rutherford, and Tendi have to keep up with their duties and their social lives, often while the ship is being rocked by a multitude of sci-fi anomalies.

The Starfleet crew residing in the “lower decks” of the U.S.S. Cerritos, includes Ensign Beckett Mariner, voiced by Tawny Newsome, Ensign Brad Boimler, voiced by Jack Quaid, Ensign Tendi, voiced by Noël Wells and Ensign Rutherford, voiced by Eugene Cordero.

The Starfleet characters that comprise the ship’s bridge crew include Captain Carol Freeman, voiced by Dawnn Lewis, Commander Jack Ransom, voiced by Jerry O’Connell, Lieutenant Shaxs, voiced by Fred Tatasciore and Doctor T’Ana, voiced by Gillian Vigman.

The series is produced by CBS’ Eye Animation Productions, CBS Television Studios’ new animation arm; Secret Hideout; and Roddenberry Entertainment. Secret Hideout’s Alex Kurtzman and Heather Kadin, Roddenberry Entertainment’s Rod Roddenberry and Trevor Roth, and Katie Krentz (219 Productions) serve as executive producers alongside creator and showrunner Mike McMahan.

ViacomCBS
Aaron Baiers (Secret Hideout), who brought McMahan to the project, serves as a co-executive producer. Titmouse (Big Mouth), the Emmy Award-winning independent animation production company, serves as the animation studio for the series.

Star Trek: Lower Decks is the first animated series to join the etxpanding “Star Trek” franchise on CBS All Access, which includes the original series Star Trek: Picard and Star Trek: Discovery.

Also on board is the recently announced U.S.S. Enterprise set series Star Trek: Strange New Worlds, featuring Anson Mount, Rebecca Romijn and Ethan Peck; and the development of a Section 31-based series with Michelle Yeoh. A CG-animated “Star Trek” series aimed at younger audiences is also in the works for Nickelodeon.

https://deadline.com/video/star-trek-lower-decks-trailer-key-art-launch-into-the-media-universe/

·
Registered
12,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
not something I would pay a subscription fee to watch by itself but it looks funny and a different take on the Trek universe...would watch it alongside Discovery or Picard

·
Registered
14,422 Posts
Didn't laugh once at that trailer, guess just not my kind of humor. I assume they were trying to make it funny with the way they showed it. Probably passing on this one unless reviews come in that really praise it.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
The last 3-4 ST series were not actually ST material and themes but just a mislabel of other content. Seems like this could just be another nickelodeon cartoon that got branded ST.

·
Registered
26,524 Posts
Ugh, Trek purists and their "THAT'S NOT REAL STAR TREK!" Happens with every single new series. :rolleyes:

Guess what, we're up to 10 Star Trek series now (with more coming) and each one of them is different than the others in some way. The Trek brand is expansive enough to accommodate a lot of different takes on the material, IMO.

I thought this trailer was funny and look forward to watching.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Ugh, Trek purists and their "THAT'S NOT REAL STAR TREK!" Happens with every single new series. :rolleyes:

Guess what, we're up to 10 Star Trek series now (with more coming) and each one of them is different than the others in some way. The Trek brand is expansive enough to accommodate a lot of different takes on the material, IMO.

I thought this trailer was funny and look forward to watching.
Agree.

And they did say that this and the upcoming Nickelodeon series were intended to try and reach a younger demographic audience. Something that Star Wars accomplished early on, but Star Trek never really did. So, it is possible that someone that has watched Star Trek for 50 years, just might not be in their wheelhouse demographic for this or the Nickelodeon series. Just saying...

·
Banned
26,895 Posts
Agree.

And they did say that this and the upcoming Nickelodeon series were intended to try and reach a younger demographic audience. Something that Star Wars accomplished early on, but Star Trek never really did. So, it is possible that someone that has watched Star Trek for 50 years, just might not be in their wheelhouse demographic for this or the Nickelodeon series. Just saying...
Yeah, that's all I was saying. I realize I'm not the demographic for this little cheaply-animated show which is clearly aimed at teens & pre-teens. I'll never say "it's not Star Trek". I haven't said that about any of CBS:AA's new ST series or any of the recent movies either. They're all Star Trek to me. But I'm not interested in anything animated, nor did I read any of the spin-off novels or comics.

·
Registered
26,524 Posts
Yeah, that's all I was saying. I realize I'm not the demographic for this little cheaply-animated show which is clearly aimed at teens & pre-teens. I'll never say "it's not Star Trek". I haven't said that about any of CBS:AA's new ST series or any of the recent movies either. They're all Star Trek to me. But I'm not interested in anything animated, nor did I read any of the spin-off novels or comics.
Arch, you are more than free to be disinterested in this or any other Star Trek series. My post was more in response to another one after yours.

Reactions: archiguy

·
Registered
26,524 Posts
Literally, this is the history of the self-proclaimed Trek gatekeepers' responses to Star Trek on television following the original series:

The Animated Series - That's not Star Trek! It's just some cartoon crap for kiddies!

The Next Generation - That's not Star Trek! Where are Kirk and Spock? It's just The Love Boat in outer space!

Deep Space Nine - That's not Star Trek! They don't even go anywhere! They just sit there on a boring space station.

Voyager - That's not Star Trek! Where's the Enterprise? And a girl is in charge? Gross!

Enterprise - That's not Star Trek! This Enterprise was never mentioned in canon before. How did they meet all these aliens before Kirk and Picard? The whole thing is just a big ret-con!

Discovery - That's not Star Trek! Where's the hope and optimism? It's more grimdark J.J. Abrams-style BS!

Short Treks - That's not Star Trek! What is this crap? It's not even a real TV show at all.

Picard - That's not Star Trek! They're not even on a starship. Picard would never do such-and-such. This show ruins my cherished memories of TNG!

Lower Decks - That's not Star Trek. It's just Trek Babies garbage for 'tweens and stupid people.

I can't wait to see what reasons they come up with to hate Strange New Worlds.

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
I just watched the trailer for Lower Decks. Looks like a fun diversion with some parody elements. I wouldn't sign up for CBSAA just for this, or binge watch 10 hour-long episode of this, but if I extend my current sub into another month, I'll check out the first few episodes.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
I just watched the trailer for Lower Decks. Looks like a fun diversion with some parody elements. I wouldn't sign up for CBSAA just for this, or binge watch 10 hour-long episode of this, but if I extend my current sub into another month, I'll check out the first few episodes.
Fun diversion is a good summary. If they can offer a few fun easy to watch animated diversions that can bridge the gaps between waiting for the next seasons of Discovery, Picard or the premiere of Strange New Worlds, I welcome it.

·
Registered
12,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
yup, this is not supposed to be compared with Next Generation, Deep Space Nine etc...it's just a fun diversion from the serious ST shows and a different spin on the ST universe...the fact that it deals with the Lower Deck crew which no one ever sees or cares about is a nice touch and if they wanted to can delve into some social/political issues

people shouldn't discount animated series so quickly...Clone Wars was better then most of the Star Wars movies and the Harley Quinn animated series on DC Universe/HBO Max is getting high praise as well (and let's not forget Batman: The Animated Series!)

*I highly doubt Lower Decks is going to match the quality of Clone Wars but was just using it as an example that animated shows can be very good

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
I have nothing against animated material, but found it impossible to muster even a chuckle during the trailer.

Don't think I'm alone, either. Both comments and likes/dislikes have been disabled on YouTube. Just before that, I had noticed that dislikes solidly outnumbered likes.

It's too bad, they had a ton of great material to work with; the many incarnations of Trek have left a rich, fertile field of parody-ready script material.

Scott

1 - 20 of 46 Posts