Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many movies are there?

I only know of "Star Wars" the first one.

I want to watch all of them ,but don't know the order to watch them in.

Can someone list the order for 2 , 3 , 4 and the rest if they exist.

PS: Which one is the best?

Thanks so much : >

Blue

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Star Trek movies, sorry:)

Blue

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
are you asking about Star Wars or Star Trek?

Star Trek I: the Motion Picture

Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan

Star Trek III: The search for Spock

Star Trek IV: the Voyage Home

Star Trek V: The Final Frontier

Star Trek VI: Undiscovered Country

Star Trek VII: Generations

Star Trek VIII: First Contact (my fave)

Star Trek IX: Insurrection

Star Trek X: Nemisis

Interesting note: it has been generally regarded that all the odd number titles were bad and theeven numbered ones were notably better...

Star Wars IV: A New Hope

Star Wars V: The Empire Strikes back (my fave)

Star Wars VI: The Return of the Jedi

Star Wars I: The Phantom menace

Star Wars II: Attack of the Clones

Star Wars III: ????

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
WOW, Ten "Star Trek" movies, by golly:)

Thanks so much for them:)

Now to start watching them:D

Blue

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Blue Rain
WOW, Ten "Star Trek" movies, by golly:)

Thanks so much for them:)

Now to start watching them:D
You might do yourself a favor by just skipping ST 5: The Final Frontier. It's almost universally reviled by both fans and non-fans alike. Save two hours of your life and get right to ST 6: The Undiscovered Country, which is much better. (It's that even number thing Jon was talking about) :D

·
Registered
183 Posts
WOW indeed. I, a long time trekkie (YES TREKKIE...shove that trekker stuff up your ass) knew in the back of my mind that there were ten...but to see them listed....wow.

It's just sad to me because the series seems to be losing steam... we (the fans...the TREKKIES...I am starting a military action to bring that term back) are getting older and I guess to involved in work to watch the show and go to the movies...is that what it is?

I don't know how successful the latest film (which I did not have time to go see) was... but I suspect that, like many of my 30something friends, many fans are waiting to rent it, and that lack of box office cash may make the existence of the bad 11th an improbability....which would then rob us of the fantastic 12th movie based on ENTERPRISE...

·
Registered
939 Posts
The last Trek movie tanked at the box office (30something million I think), however I thought it was really well done.

I too am a Trekkie, I have no idea where that stupid term Trekker came from.

·
Premium Member
1,217 Posts
I find it interesting that Nemisis did poorly at the box office. It is the only film in the list above that I didn't take in on the big screen. Was just too busy this time around and havn't been to the theater in several months. I wonder how many other trekies find themselves in the same situation.

I think I'll check what's on at the theater and maybe go this afternoon.

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Jon S

Interesting note: it has been generally regarded that all the odd number titles were bad and theeven numbered ones were notably better...
I'm not sure why this meme keeps propogating. Do you really think III was "bad" and IV was "good"? Here are my opinions, FWIW:

Star Trek I:

too long, weak

Star Trek II:

excellent, my favorite

Star Trek III:

good

Star Trek IV:

weak and hammy

Star Trek V:
skip this one!!

Star Trek VI:

good, faith is restored

Star Trek VII:

ok

Star Trek VIII:

good

Star Trek IX:

good

Star Trek X:

? haven't seen, heard it was bad

Shatner directed V. I personally think (spoiler for VII):
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) Spoiler  
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) the death of Kirk in VII was punishment for his lousy job on V. No resurrection, no more Kirk!

Sorry about the formatting, couldn't get columns to work.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Sorry but I have to disagree with your reviews of the different films.

I

Agreed was too long and slow.

II

yes was good

III

not great but not horrible so just average

IV

I believe this is one of the best of the whole series.. yes it has a lot of humor but it is well written and an interesting story line

V

yes probably one of the worst

VI

Good but a little heavy handed

VII

Ok but not nearly as good as it could have been

VIII

Very good.. I think the best of all the movies probably.

IX

This was ok but a bit to cutsie and more like a star trek episode then a movie

X

This one was ok but a bit over the top and melodramatic

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
I liked Insurection, yep it was more like an double TV episode but quite nice.

A realy good double episode that would have made a pretty good movie is Scorpion I and II.

It's when Jeri Ryan (Seven of Nine) were introduced on the Voyager-show.

Nemesis (X) is a bit strange for a ST movie. In some parts they try to make a "serious" drama thing, it doesn't work ;)

But as already said, the best ST movie so far is First Contact.

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
Well, I feel I have to put in a word for ST: TMP (aka Star Trek I). While I like the adventurous "Hornblower in space" aspects of ST: WOK (ST II) TMP really has a wonderful, slow 2001 kind of vibe to it, which is the reason so many hate it but I love it. I would dare to suggest it's the only true sci-fi film of the whole bunch, as opposed to action adventure. I love the sense of real discovery and wonder in it which was a part of the series at times as well. Also, Robert Wise's directors cut has fixed many, if not all, of the films pacing problems. BTW, I find ST: TVH (ST IV) funny but also rather juvenile in its preachiness...

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
I agree with some of what Fred says...Star Trek OMP is closer to a hard Sci-Fi movie than the rest. The latest DVD release is an improvement over the original, and well worth having.

Wrath of Kahn (2) and First Contact (8) are my favorites...with First Contact being what I consided an out-and-out great bit of story telling.

I also think the Voyage Home (4) is outstanding in it's own way, yes it's a bit heavy handed in it's important message...but it shows just how hilarious this group can be.

I haven't seen Final Frontier (5) in so long I can't remember anything about it...other than I thought it stunk, it's the only one I've never had in either my DVD or LD collections.

Nemisis is kind of a strange one, I left the theater knowing I'd buy it, but realizing it's not quite up to the standards of the better ones...it's worth having just for the great machinery in it:)

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
I'm glad to see I'm not alone. I hadn't seem ST:TMP all the way through in many, many years. With the new special edtions coming to light, I decided to give it another chance. I can't be sure if it was Robert Wise's new edits or what, but it was a MUCH better movie than I remember. By far, this seemed more like the original series to me. In contrast, ST:TWOK (always my favorite) wasn't as good as I remember! Maybe I've just seen it too many times over the years, so even the DVD wasn't enough to breath new life into it. Same to be said for III and IV. Again, ST:TSFS was a lot better than I remembered, and during ST:TVH I was nodding off, and I love that movie!

Regardless, I will be getting them all as the 2 disc sets come out (yes, even ST:TFF.) :)

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Jon S,

Excellent Star Trek list.

Now for the hard part - which of these are available in anamorphic OAR as opposed to non-anamorphic ("letterbox") OAR?

I hate those doggone non-anamorphic OAR transfers ........ I believe some Star Treks on your list are one way and some are the other, but not certain which.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Of the ST films, VI (Undiscovered Country) and VII (Generations) are currently available only in bare bones, non-anamorphic transfers. This will be rectified in the near future with special editions of both films.

Dunno about V, I just can't bring myself to watch it again.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I knew there was a "We're right in the middle of our careers, no time for juvenile pursuits" thing going on...

Quick poll...how many people didn't have time to see the movie on the big screen?

(as if this poll was not a juvenile pursuit) :)

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
I didn't take the time either, but to be honest, I'm just not as interested in sitting in a theater as I use to be (see my equipment list to the left, and you might get an idea why......;) )

·
Registered
865 Posts

• ST I: The original version of this film had exceedingly long special effects sequences that probably outdid even "2001: A Space Odyssey" as something to watch while popping acid. These sequences were award winning state-of-the-art stuff at the time, but they haven't aged well and easily overstay their welcome. Versions of ST:TMP that aired on TV often included extra scenes, making the film even longer. The new cut is much more briskly paced. They probably shaved 10 minutes of animated cloud formations off of the approach to V'Ger alone. Those that found the old versions boring may be pleasantly surprised by this one. ST:TMP is also noteworthy for giving us the Klingon's as we've come to love them: *with* ridges! (and kickass music to boot)
  • ST II: This is probably the highlight of Shatner's acting career. "KHAAAAAN!!!" Briskly paced and intelligent. Lots of Shakespeare quotes. Mind controlling insects. "The Wrath of Kahn" features what are probably the best starship battles in the entire Trek universe. It also seemingly broke the franchise mold (embodied by the term Safe-Trek) by killing off Spock.
  • ST III: The story is a little loose, but a fun way to cop out on killing spock. Christopher Lloyd does an decent job of playing a Klingon. Production values on most ST pictures aren't that high, but they really show in this one. This isn't so much a symptom of bad special effects design, but an overly ambitious script. They also subbed in a different actress than Kirstie Alley to play Savek. (Most consider this to be a bad thing, but I sorta liked the new Savek.) This is probably one of the better odd numbered episodes, but not as good as ST:TMP.
  • ST IV: The plot is the same old "Save the World" thing. (The beginning is highly reminiscent of ST:TMP) However, instead of a special effects laden hard sci-fi fest ST IV turns into an 80's comedy. Scotty uses a mac. Kirk reminisces about the 60's in a pickup truck. Chekov is caught conducting what appears to be espionage aboard a cold war era american nuclear naval vessel. (or "Wessel", as he pronounces it.) Spock nerve pinches a punk rocker on a bus and mind melds with a pregnant whale. It's entertaining, but you can probably see why opinions are a bit split on this one.
  • ST V: The fundamental message of this film is that God is an arsehole: Both as a character in the film and as a supreme power that idly stood by while this flick was made. A laughing vulcan. Track operated jet boots. A 50-year old doing a strip tease. Scotty, definitely not at his best. Gratuitous Klingon booty watching.
  • ST VI: This is the last film centered around the original cast in the series. It's a good sendoff. The make-up jobs in this film alone are astonishing. There is a pretty good starship battle featuring, coincidentally, another villain who is fond of quoting Shakespeare in his final moments. Michael Dorn (Worf) plays Kirk's Klingon lawyer. The zero-G murder scene is classic. One of the better even numbered films.
  • ST VII: This film features one of those overly cocky villains who, instead of killing his enemy who just appeared before his ultimate victory, just weakly taunts him a bit. "Don't you have anything *better* to do? Whoopie Goldberg OD. Still, even if it's an overly contrived and ultimately disappointing bit of melodrama, the death of Kirk is a must see for all Trekkies. Good special effects too.
  • ST VIII: The Borg, everybody's favorite villain race from TNG, are back and this time they've got a spandex clad, not to mention fully disassemble-able, queen! Of course, in a massive federation of planets, the one place any really serious alien threat heads to first is Earth. So, once again, it is up to the Enterprise to go back in time to save the Earth. (Stop me if you're heard this one before) Once you get past the cookie cutter setup, this film is a blast. There is action and humor galore, not to mention some very intense dramatic moments carried on the shoulders of Patrick Stewart. Gratuitous "Magic Carpet Ride" music. Troy gets tanked. Data finds true love and throws it away. One of the most entertaining ST movies out there.
  • ST IX: A lot of people complain very loudly about this film, but can be deflected quite effectively simply by mentioning ST V. It's not Trek at its best. Face stretching. Haywire Android that can function as a flotation device in the case of an emergency. Women discussing their breasts. Klingon pimple. I didn't hate this flick. It's sort of like watching a good TNG episode on TV. (Beats the hell out of Voyager or Enterprise!)
  • ST X: Here is another film that splits opinions quite sharply. Some revile it as the worst Trek movie ever, although they usually concede that ST V was worse after it's pointed out. Most consider it a step above Insurrection too. Personally, I'm not sure. There is great potential here, but the theatrical version was lacking something. The plot is yet another rehash of the old "Save the Earth" theme, but it feels like a lot of very important connective tissue wound up on the cutting room floor to make room for the special effects sequences and monster truck driving. A lot of stuff just doesn't make sense, or flies in the face of Trek wisdom. (Okay, *more* than usual.) Shinzon's Troy-fetish is even more cringe inducing than Uhura's strip tease in ST:V. Riker gets involved in what has to be the most gratuitous fist fight in trek history. The Remans, besides making no sense in the theatrical version, are all Nosferatu clones. The romulan who plays such a pivotal role in helping the Enterprise has almost no motivation other than the fact that Shinzon didn't go for her sexual advances. Still Shinzon was very well done and Patrick Stewart, as usual has a commanding screen presence. I really hope a directors cut of this film is released someday because it could be a lot better than the theatrical version. (Hope remains in the mind of at least this particular Trekkie in denial.)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.