AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
 http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/...7002a2524dddc3

Quote:
CBS Home Entertainment also will take the lead in other home entertainment initiatives, including the launch of high-definition discs. Like Paramount, CBS will release titles in the Blu-ray Disc and HD DVD formats. First up: the original "Star Trek" TV series, rolled out on DVD/HD-DVD combo disc in the fourth quarter.

"The reason we chose to do that is to give us the ability to make high-definition transfers of the show available to people who don't yet have high-definition players," Ross said.

we should expect a release sometime between October and December of this year (most probably Nov.)

this is the new edition, remastered versions with new models and hi-def transfers that were recently made...

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wonder if this might be an experiment where they only release one set (HD DVD/DVD Combo), instead of individual releases on HD DVD & DVD separately.

Star Trek sets, when first released, are usually over $100, and even more regular price. They were gonna charge an arm and a leg for these remastered versions anyway (maybe $100-$150) on DVD, so maybe this might work out in that at least they are providing an HD DVD version for whatever price they set.

It would probably help with shelf space as well. If they do indeed release only this version of the series this year, it might help HD DVD adoption.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
This is interesting and it explains why the HD DVD exclusive from a neutral studio.

·
Registered
111 Posts
The CBS press release does mention that their releases will be 'chiefly complete-season sets'. Pretty much all the news spots from aug/sept last year about the hd/cgi remasters mentioned that it would take about a year to do all 79 episodes so it's still conceivable that they'll arrive in season order. The timing is right and they'd probably upset a lot of die hard trekkies if not..

I'd say it definitely points to a single hd-dvd/dvd release instead of two separate. There doesn't seem much point in not doing a BD release otherwise. It kind of sounds like their main concern is the standard DVD market and they may as well tack on the HD-DVD version while they're at it. I'm sure it'll be pricey but it's a definite plus for HD-DVD... could well be my next year's christmas present

·
Registered
813 Posts
So will these episode be like the ones you can download on the Xbox 360?

They are not all HD last I checked, kind of random which ones that were. The show was pillar boxed and looked decent for a 720p download video. The FX shots were widescreen and sort of looked too good for the time.

Is that because they redid the effects or something? And does that mean the show will go back and forth from 4:3 HD to 16:9 HD for new FX shots?

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Well, if they only release the single set so that all current DVD owners will HAVE to have the HD DVD version, I like the move. It's kind of dirty, but I think it's a great weapon that HD DVD should have taken advantage of a long time ago. Especially since the names DVD and HD DVD just make sense together. Anyone with knowledge of what HDTV is, but without a lot of knowledge about either HD disc format can probably make sense of HD DVD a little quicker than Blu-Ray just by the name alone.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I'll skip these. I find the new effects interesting, but they are not something I'd want to own. The old DVDs will have to do for me.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
I think we know what the most expensive HD-DVD sku will be by the end of 2007. The DVDs set of all 3 seasons goes for $176 on Amazon so I assume this'll be at least $200. I'm a fan, but I don't know that I'd watch it enough to justify the purchase. The tempting thing for me is getting 4117 hours of HD, since I live in a nation devoid of any and all HD. I'll read the reviews once it hits and maybe buy it as part of my kids education

·
Registered
11,880 Posts
question... what will the aspect ratio for the HD versions be..? They are doing the new CGI FX in 16x9 (cropping for the current SD remastered broadcast though...) and 360 owners who have downloaded the 720P HD versions state that the show itself is OAR 4x3, pillarboxed, then the new FX shots are in 16x9 WS...

Will they tilt and scan the non FX footage...? If not, the jump back and forth between aspect ratios might be jarring and get the anti-black bar crowd VERY confused... If they do alter the non FX footage and crop it, then the purists will be pissed...

will be interesting...

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Anyone know if these episodes will be the full length? The Star Trek remastered episodes that are being shown on TV right now have been edited and cut. They had to do this because there's something like 7 more minutes of commercials today vs. what there was in the 60's when these first came out.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
They'd have to put the whole show in 16x9 instead of just the special effects shots like they do on Xboxlive for me to bite.

·
Registered
97 Posts
If these are the episodes that have been airing here in HD on Monday nights, then I would say they will be 4:3 and in the original 52 minute length.

Cheers,

Jeff

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.