AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Banned
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Quote:
Follow-up from Bill Hunt, The Digital Bits on the Star Trek films:

We've got a bit of follow-up on yesterday's Star Trek news for you this morning. We're still waiting to hear back from CBS Paramount as far as The Original Series (and other Trek TV properties), but Paramount Home Entertainment's Vice President of Publicity, Brenda Ciccone, told me last night in no uncertain terms that when the Star Trek feature films (which Paramount specifically controls) are released on disc in high-def, they will each be released on both HD-DVD and Blu-ray Disc, in keeping with Paramount's stated commitment to support both formats. The studio is working to evaluate its catalog titles for high-def release now. So you Trekkers on both sides of the HD format war can all live long and prosper... on that score at least.

Well, it doesn't pay to get too worked up these days. It seems information is forever changing and even the insiders are ill-informed or are inaccurate. However, the question of simultaneous release wasn't addressed but I think that is most likely a given.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
I believe it was stated that the blu-ray version will be released in early 2008.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts

·
Registered
3,130 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo1965 /forum/post/0

What? The original TV shows as HDDVD exclusive?

Ok, I'm not sure if that's a good idea. We are talking about 4:3 TV programs from 1966!!! Why would I want this in HD?

I've seen a few of the HD remasters from Xbox Live. It's a nice improvement, but honestly, it's not worth replacing the current DVD sets if you already have them. Now, if Paramount ever redoes TNG (an expensive proposition, they'd have to reedit the entire series from the original film elements and recreate all of the effects), it will be a massive improvement over the DVDs.

·
Registered
876 Posts
HD DVD FUD at its finest.

·
Banned
4,488 Posts
CBS is owned by Paramount, therefore all Star Trek will come to both formats.

The problem seems to be that guy who did the chat on HTF was a bit mixed up on his details. He said the MOVIES would be exclusive on HD DVD for 2007, but he got it backwards. TOS will be "exclusive" on HD DVD because it will come out at the very end of the year and the BD version will come out a few weeks later, probably because there are only a few replication sites available and they will be crammed with content for that release period.

Whether or not the films will come out day and date on both formats has not been cleared up so far, but it seems likely.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
What was said by Kevin Collins was:

"For instance, the Matrix trilogy will be coming out this year from WHV, Star Trek will be exclusive to HD DVD this year, Babel and The Good Shepherd. All in all there will be over 600 HD DVD titles by EOY."

What Bill Hunt Reported was:

"We're still waiting to hear back from CBS Paramount as far as The Original Series (and other Trek TV properties), but Paramount Home Entertainment's Vice President of Publicity, Brenda Ciccone, told me last night in no uncertain terms that when the Star Trek feature films (which Paramount specifically controls) are released on disc in high-def, they will each be released on both HD-DVD and Blu-ray Disc, in keeping with Paramount's stated commitment to support both formats. "

Did the Paramount PR person leave out the words "this year" on purpose? Did Bill Hunt misenterpret her statement? It's all a little vague...

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
And here I was, thinking that MSFT ehome finally got the go ahead from Ballmer & Gates to plow serious money into the movie wars by buying the rights to StarTrek franchise.

This is a plausible strategy as MSFT must keep the movies flowing to keep the format alive. Somehow, more exclusive titles have to be brought to hd-dvd (even if it is only for a few months) to level the playing field.

If the movie releases do not keep up, this war will be lopsided. I expect June releases should be announced by end of march, meaning that if the battle is between new movies VS 10+ yr catalogs, even if the old catalogs are very good classics, their market size tend to be much smaller than new releases.

Just my opinion.

·
Banned
4,488 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gosawx /forum/post/0

What was said by Kevin Collins was:

"For instance, the Matrix trilogy will be coming out this year from WHV, Star Trek will be exclusive to HD DVD this year, Babel and The Good Shepherd. All in all there will be over 600 HD DVD titles by EOY."

What Bill Hunt Reported was:

"We're still waiting to hear back from CBS Paramount as far as The Original Series (and other Trek TV properties), but Paramount Home Entertainment's Vice President of Publicity, Brenda Ciccone, told me last night in no uncertain terms that when the Star Trek feature films (which Paramount specifically controls) are released on disc in high-def, they will each be released on both HD-DVD and Blu-ray Disc, in keeping with Paramount's stated commitment to support both formats. "

Did the Paramount PR person leave out the words "this year" on purpose? Did Bill Hunt misenterpret her statement? It's all a little vague...

Someone asked Kevin later on if it was the show or the movies and he said something like "I'm pretty sure it's the movies".

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Then I'm buying the blu-ray versions because the HD DVD versions will be combo disks, which I don't like.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fettastic /forum/post/0

Someone asked Kevin later on if it was the show or the movies and he said something like "I'm pretty sure it's the movies".

Correct, you are:

"BrettGallman] When you mentioned Star Trek earlier, were you referring to the feature films or the TV series only?

[kevincol] It is my understanding from the HD DVD group that it will be the feature films"

·
Registered
1,619 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo1965 /forum/post/0

So what does this mean? Is Wrath of Khan exclusive HDDVD or both? Is there official confirmation from Paramount?

By Bill Hunt not directly quoting, and not using the word "simulateously", or the phrase "this year" in his reporting, I see nothing to refute what Kevin Collins stated...until we hear differently

1 - 20 of 64 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.