AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 131 Posts

·
Banned
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Kevin Collins, Director of HD DVD at Microsoft's Consumer Media Technology Group stated during a live chat tonight at Home Theater Forum that the Star Trek Movie franchise was coming exclusively to HD DVD in 2007. That would be a surprise since they are Paramount titles. Even if it does come to Blu-ray as well this is terrific news.

Quote:
UPDATE! Bill Hunt, Digital Bits:

We've got a bit of follow-up on yesterday's Star Trek news for you this morning. We're still waiting to hear back from CBS Paramount as far as The Original Series (and other Trek TV properties), but Paramount Home Entertainment's Vice President of Publicity, Brenda Ciccone, told me last night in no uncertain terms that when the Star Trek feature films (which Paramount specifically controls) are released on disc in high-def, they will each be released on both HD-DVD and Blu-ray Disc, in keeping with Paramount's stated commitment to support both formats. The studio is working to evaluate its catalog titles for high-def release now. So you Trekkers on both sides of the HD format war can all live long and prosper... on that score at least.

·
Registered
6,080 Posts
Link or anything? If accurate this would be fantastic news, though "some" would be left feeling a little, uh, blue.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
This is great news ! I LOVE Trek ! I have both formats because I think that for a few years there will be exclusives on both sides.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Honestly, no big loss for me, as I never liked Star Trek. I bet it will be HD-DVD only in Nov 2007, and the BR versions will be out in Jan 2008.

·
Banned
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylanneild /forum/post/0

Did he say "exclusively to HD-DVD" or "coming to HD-DVD" and in the context of being a Microsoft employee was this taken to mean exclusivity?

Paramount has been neutral with all their titles so far. Hard to imagine they'd ignore the larger market with such a high profile release.

That said, it's getting annoying that a tit for tat battle appears to be forming. BD gains the momentum, so HD-DVD gets an exclusive. BD will then release James Bond movies. Back and forth, back and forth, until the mass market says "forget this" and both formats die.

It was a live chat and I am pretty sure he said exclusive to the format THIS YEAR. Again, I could be wrong but the transcript should be up tomorrow. He never said it wasn't coming to Blu-ray. It could be replication rearing its ugly head for BD...I don't know. We will probably learn more soon. At least we know it is on the way. He also stated rather emphatically that HD DVD fans will be more than pleased with software output this year 600 titles worldwide. He said the list of Universal titles wouldn't disappoint. He also said that he hasn't heard any talk of Jaws this year but added that things can change. I was also surprised that he stated there is no movement on region coding! He just about encouraged us to purchase import HD DVDs!! That surprised the hell out of me.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I already have Star Trek 2, 4 and 6 on DVD, and to be honest with their age I can't see a high-def version being too huge an improvement. Most people acknowledge that the even-numbered Star Trek films were the stongest (well, all but the most ardent Trekkie I guess) so I can't see re-buying them again.

If the HD-DVD people are buying limited exclusivity of titles, kind of like game console manufacturers, that's an interesting development.

·
Banned
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbuubu /forum/post/0

...If the HD-DVD people are buying limited exclusivity of titles, kind of like game console manufacturers, that's an interesting development.

I highly doubt that is the case. Lets not start the rumor mill. I wanna be as upfront about what I heard during tonight's chat. Nothing of that sort was ever suggested by Mr. Collins.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbuubu /forum/post/0

I already have Star Trek 2, 4 and 6 on DVD, and to be honest with their age I can't see a high-def version being too huge an improvement. Most people acknowledge that the even-numbered Star Trek films were the stongest (well, all but the most ardent Trekkie I guess) so I can't see re-buying them again.

If the HD-DVD people are buying limited exclusivity of titles, kind of like game console manufacturers, that's an interesting development.

For niche products like these are that this point, it's all about hat is available now. Nothing surprising about being excited about something like this.

But back on topic, if this is accurate, it will be interesting to learn what the reason is, since Paramount has been the most neutral of neutral studios. And actually, I can't say that I've ever watched a single Star Trek movie all the way through, so it will be beyond awesome to be able to view them for the first time on HD-DVD.

·
Banned
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Mack /forum/post/0

Actually, I would LOVE to see TMP in HD but they will have to do something FX wise if they release the "director's edition" as all the new FX were done at 480 res. I believe.

Well, the new, spiffed up versions of the television series are supposed to make their HD DVD appearance this year according to some articles I have read... Maybe the films are having their FX spruced up as well.

·
Banned
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I saw that you sent off the alarm over in the Blu-ray area, Dave. I added a question mark and I am trying to clarify my statements. It is funny how these threads can easily take on a life of their own.

·
Registered
11,880 Posts
I did but asked the mods to delete it as I misinterpreted the first post here.

My thread was also filling up with those characters who live under the bridge and was rapidly going downhill as so many on AVS now tend to do.

d

·
Registered
693 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Mack /forum/post/0

Actually, I would LOVE to see TMP in HD but they will have to do something FX wise if they release the "director's edition" as all the new FX were done at 480 res. I believe.

I read during its dvd release that TMP DE was mastered to D5 at 720P.

All the special f/x are film rez.

The movies will look great in HD as long as proper care is/was taken when the HD master was made.

·
Registered
222 Posts
If this is true - that's huge. 'Could' be a nice push for the format.

1 - 20 of 131 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.