AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 256 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
According to this press release the second Season of TOS is going to contain the DS9-Episode "Trials And Tribble-ations" in HD. I thought DS9 had it's postproduction done on video like TNG and that a Blu-Ray release was therefore very unlikley. Interesting.

I know there was a discussion here about TNG, DS9 and Voyager on Blu-Ray and wasn't the consensus that the effect shots would need to be completely redone for a Blu-Ray release?

·
Registered
6,948 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap.T /forum/post/16952561

According to this press release the second Season of TOS is going to contain the DS9-Episode "Trials And Tribble-ations" in HD. I thought DS9 had it's postproduction done on video like TNG and that a Blu-Ray release was therefore very unlikley. Interesting.

I know there was a discussion here about TNG, DS9 and Voyager on Blu-Ray and wasn't the consensus that the effect shots would need to be completely redone for a Blu-Ray release?

It could be an upscale. But there is also a possibility that they actually work with this episode in HD for better postwork.

They also could have redone the effects for this episode. Since its just one episode.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
It's a fantastic episode so I hope it's included. A relative of ours created an episode, while not seamless, he mixed the Trials & Tribble-ations episode with The Trouble with Tribbles into 1 episode on a DVD. He called it Star Trek: Amalgamation. It's really good, even if it wasn't able to be put together perfectly.

·
Registered
6,040 Posts
VERY interesting, perhaps this was also a test for bringing TNG/DS9/Voyager to HD. Can't wait to see it.

·
Registered
6,040 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekyglassesgirl /forum/post/16954352

It's a fantastic episode so I hope it's included. A relative of ours created an episode, while not seamless, he mixed the Trials & Tribble-ations episode with The Trouble with Tribbles into 1 episode on a DVD. He called it Star Trek: Amalgamation. It's really good, even if it wasn't able to be put together perfectly.

Wonderful episode, one of my DS9 favorites.

"Worf, what happened???"

"We do NOT talk about it!"

·
Registered
19,039 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkcohen /forum/post/16955387

VERY interesting, perhaps this was also a test for bringing TNG/DS9/Voyager to HD.

Why bother? According to J.J. Abrams, none of those series ever happened...
Nah, I'm just screwing you, bring them on!!!

·
Registered
6,040 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFi /forum/post/16955954

Why bother? According to J.J. Abrams, none of those series ever happened...
Nah, I'm just screwing you, bring them on!!!

Hehehehehe

·
Registered
1,100 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkcohen /forum/post/16955403

Wonderful episode, one of my DS9 favorites.

"Worf, what happened???"

"We do NOT talk about it!"

LOVE that line!! hehehe!

DaveFi -- I almost spit coffee at my screen laughing at your post.

·
Registered
4,309 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Sonneborn /forum/post/16956153

Any news on season III ?

Just that it's coming, although I'd bet they release it on or around the time the new movie hits BD (Nov 17).

·
Registered
11,880 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekyglassesgirl /forum/post/16956834

LOVE that line!! hehehe!

DaveFi -- I almost spit coffee at my screen laughing at your post.

Agreed. The PERFECT way to resolve it. Leave it to the viewer's imagination.

A few years back I started watching DS9 in order and after getting through the very rocky, up and down 1st season, (It had to find it's voice) I had a blast. Still the best and most satisfying incarnation of TREK as a whole IMHO.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkcohen /forum/post/16955387

VERY interesting, perhaps this was also a test for bringing TNG/DS9/Voyager to HD. Can't wait to see it.

Regardless of the challenges, I would think they will come up with a way to deal with these series for a Blu-ray release. I can't imagine Paramount sitting by and letting this cash cow get away.

·
Registered
11,880 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutgar /forum/post/16960225

Regardless of the challenges, I would think they will come up with a way to deal with these series for a Blu-ray release. I can't imagine Paramount sitting by and letting this cash cow get away.

True, unfortunately they might do a 1/2 ass job. The amount of work to do even one of these series properly would be staggering.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Mack /forum/post/16960297

True, unfortunately they might do a 1/2 ass job. The amount of work to do even one of these series properly would be staggering.

True. But any improvement would be a plus. The DVD's are so bad they verge on being unwatchable as far as I'm concerned. Especially the effects shots (which they could re-do and insert, same as they did with TOS).

·
Registered
1,100 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Mack /forum/post/16960222

Agreed. The PERFECT way to resolve it. Leave it to the viewer's imagination.

A few years back I started watching DS9 in order and after getting through the very rocky, up and down 1st season, (It had to find it's voice) I had a blast. Still the best and most satisfying incarnation of TREK as a whole IMHO.

I record DS9 daily on my pvr from Canada's Space channel. I've always wanted the dvd's but have never been a fan of the way certain sci fi shows are a rip off at $100+ per season. I've never bit the bullet on any Star Trek at all until my husband came home with TOS season 1 & the movies back at the beginning of June, and I lurve Star Trek.

I personally find DS9 to have the most gritty of characters, rather than the happy-go-lucky way that TNG & Voyager go about things. It took a daily re-watch of Enterprise when Space channel did a run-through a few years ago for me to appreciate that show, and I actually find that right when I was finally really into the story on that one, it got canceled (well, it was already canceled from a few years prior at that point, but the disappointment rang true for me when I finally gave it a shot).

The horror of the presentation on Canada's Space channel, though, is disgusting. It's low-def, and I don't know if the signal is choked all to hell after that but it just looks absolutely awful on my 58" Panny plasma. I watch it anyway, though (and recently I've started up with TNG again) because I love it. I had planned on doing a TOS run with them, but since the Blu's are coming out I figure I'll just wait and watch those!

I wish it wasn't so much work for them to go through and do the ST:TNG/ST
S9 seasons onto Blu. I think I would possibly bite the bullet on those, but admittedly I'm frightened to death as to what the price point would be on those, especially with 14 seasons between the two shows!

I wonder how difficult it would be to put Enterprise over onto Blu? Again, I only watched this show on Space, so it looked like hell; I don't know much about this show at all since I didn't watch it until it was already over.

Many apologies for being off topic regarding the ST:TOS s2 discs! I truly can't wait for that, and I still haven't gotten through my TOS s1 discs yet! Between that, BSG & a few other discs I have kicking around, I sure am not at a loss for things to watch!
Just the way I like it!

Dave Mack I definitely am curious as to how Trials.. will look on your 92" screen; if the DVDs look anything as bad as what I've been watching on my 58" plasma...

·
Registered
3,490 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekyglassesgirl /forum/post/16960450

I wonder how difficult it would be to put Enterprise over onto Blu? Again, I only watched this show on Space, so it looked like hell; I don't know much about this show at all since I didn't watch it until it was already over.

Enterprise was done in HD from the very beginning I believe (even shot with digital cameras the last few season instead of film IIRC).

·
Registered
6,040 Posts
I lament what Enterprise could have been if it ran for 7 years

·
Registered
1,416 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieSwede /forum/post/16952603

It could be an upscale. But there is also a possibility that they actually work with this episode in HD for better postwork.

They also could have redone the effects for this episode. Since its just one episode.

Bill Hunt at The Bits confirmed the DS9 episode is just upscaled. Sounds like TAS episode is actually HD though.

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/#mytwocents

1 - 20 of 256 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.