AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased Star Trek VI: Collector's Edition which was released today and it had no insert inside it. All of the other Collector's editions had an insert. Anyone else missing one or should I return it to Walmart for an exchange ?!

·
Registered
809 Posts
No insert for me. I don't think the previous ones had them either.

My question is why is the movie framed at what looks like 2.00:1? It was shown theatrically at 2.35:1.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Here's digitalbits take on the aspect ratio:

"There is one issue related to the video, however, that may cause a little confusion. The original DVD's non-anamorphic, letterboxed widescreen video was framed at an aspect ratio of about 2.0:1, meaning that you're seeing a little more on the top and bottom of the frame. How is this possible? According to the IMDB, the film's original theatrical aspect ratio was 2.35:1, but it was shot in Super 35 format. For this DVD release, the new anamorphic transfer is again framed at about 2.0:1, so that when watching on a properly calibrated anamorphic display (of aspect 1.78:1), the image completely fills the screen. There are no slight black bars, as there would be on a true 2.35 formatted transfer. This is obviously deliberate, the result of the director's own preference for the film's home video presentation (no doubt one of the reasons Super 35 was chosen in the first place). So there's no need to get upset and starting complaining to the studio - the transfer here is exactly the way the film should be presented on DVD."

·
Registered
5,233 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by dugpa
According to the IMDB, the film's original theatrical aspect ratio was 2.35:1, but it was shot in Super 35 format. For this DVD release, the new anamorphic transfer is again framed at about 2.0:1, so that when watching on a properly calibrated anamorphic display (of aspect 1.78:1), the image completely fills the screen. There are no slight black bars, as there would be on a true 2.35 formatted transfer.
Umm, if a anamorphic dvd with an AR of 2.0:1 "completely fills" a 1.78:1 monitor then something's not right. Nice going, Digital Bits. :p

·
Registered
809 Posts
Shouldn't that be, "...watching on an improperly calibrated anamorphic display (of aspect 1.78:1)..."?

What do they consider "properly" calibrated? 7.5% overscan? 10%? I have blackbars on my display. I have black bars on 1.85:1 aspect ratio material. They're really small but they're there.

I wasn't complaining I just wanted to know if anybody knew why.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Yeah, that 2:1 completely filling a "properly calibrated" 1.78:1 display bit had me scratching my head too. Maybe they put cardboard over the parts of the screen where there is no image. :)

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
No insert here either. However, am I complaining about that? No. But, I had thought about starting a thread on this dvd. Why? Because, Star Trek VI cost only $14.99 at BB. Am I complaining that it cost me only $14.99? No. But, I will now complain about why the previous Star Trek SEs cost $25.99 each and this identical type of issue only cost $14.99. Why were we overcharged for the others?

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
About the insert, DigitalBits had this to say this morning.

Quote:
And speaking of SciFi, yes... we do know that there's no insert in the Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country - Special Collector's Edition DVD. And yes, we do know that the disc art for Disc Two of the set is printed upside down, and that it's actually an image from Generations, not The Undiscovered Country. You have no idea how many e-mails we've gotten about those two issues, asking what we think. So what do we think about the disc art issue? Someone in QC obviously screwed the pooch. As to the insert question, like many studios these days, Paramount is no longer including inserts with their DVD releases. The feeling is they're a waste of money, given that most people never even look at them. Personally, I don't miss them all that much, but I know a lot of you do.

·
Registered
8,770 Posts
Simple two sided single sheet inserts aren't of much functional value, but I do appreciate multi page booklet inserts with produciton or behind-the-scenes photos, preferably never before seen. And even the simple inserts have collectible value, moreso now that no one will be doing them anymore.

My belief is that the only collectible value these DVD's will have over the long haul (20-30 years or more out) *are* the inserts and DVD case cover inserts, as well as any other trinkets included in the DVD case.

My theory is that any future value will be determined similar to the Beanie babies that are worth more with their tags intact, or an undamaged baseball card, or a toyset you had as a kid that may be opened but is complete with all its parts undamaged.

The DVD discs themselves will probably be worth more for their silkscreened artwork than the movies encoded on them, since eventual dual layer DVD burners will enable perfect 1:1 duplicates, and the HD-DVD releases with further erode their value.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by gtrogue
No insert for me. I don't think the previous ones had them either.
Actually, ALL of the other five had inserts, kinda weird this one doesn't.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by RBO
Because, Star Trek VI cost only $14.99 at BB. Am I complaining that it cost me only $14.99? No. But, I will now complain about why the previous Star Trek SEs cost $25.99 each and this identical type of issue only cost $14.99. Why were we overcharged for the others?
You got taken on the others. Star Trek's 2-4 were only $17.99 the first week of their release at Best Buy as well. I seem to remember TMP was $19.99 the week of it's release, but don't quote me on that. I have no idea how much 5 was as I didn't buy it for obvious reasons. :)

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by dugpa
You got taken on the others. Star Trek's 2-4 were only $17.99 the first week of their release at Best Buy as well. I seem to remember TMP was $19.99 the week of it's release, but don't quote me on that. I have no idea how much 5 was as I didn't buy it for obvious reasons. :)
Besides, a quick search on DVDpricesearch, shows you can get them all for anywhere from $11-14 each. Or if you'd like to try the Columbia House thing, you could get them all for about $7 each like I did.:)

·
Premium Member
1,217 Posts
ST V was 19.99 at BB the first week.

Nemesis was 15.99 at Circuit Cit; so, this latest DVD had the lowest opening retail price of the lot.

·
Premium Member
1,217 Posts
If you want to feel taken just wait and see what's happening with the original series. :eek: Even if they charge $100 per season it's less than half of what they were when they first came out.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Perhaps the money saved on producing this disk without an insert has been passed on to the customer in the form of a less expensive purchase. It was only $16.99 here in Canada, while the rest of them were over $20. I am happy as this is my favorite Star Trek movie (yes, even better than TWOK) and am happy to finally have an anamorphic transfer of it. I must admit that some of the set shots are a little cheesy though. To anyone else that has this movie, take a look at the scene where Spock, Scotty and Kim Catrall are in the jeffries tube, where exactly is she coming from when she slides down the pole? It just looks out of place and like something the director thought up on the spot. There are other scenes like this in this movie, but it is still a great show. Best space action in the Star Trek franchise.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Actually - it is only $13.99 here in Canada (Future Shop). I just picked it up today and watched it.

I have another ? on this though - maybe it was already answered. I see a thin black bar on the bottom of the movie, no black bar on the top. At first, I thought my TV (A Sammy HLN617W DLP) was out of wack. However, after the movie, I tried "HULK" which is also anamorhpic and it plays perfectly without any black bars along the top or bottom.

Does anyone else see this black bar? On my 61" widescreen it is about 1 to 1 1/2" thick.

·
Registered
809 Posts
The Hulk is 1.85:1 so with overscan it will not have black bars. ST VI is 2.00:1 which will have slight black bars on the top and bottom. Displays with a large amount of overscan may not show the bars for a 2.00:1 movie.

I suspect that you only see the small black bar at the bottom because your display has a fair amount of overscan and isn't centering the image vertically. The centering problem is most likely a combination of your display not centering the image and the image not being centered when it is encoded. I have very little overscan on my display and I can tell from movie to movie that the active image area moves up and down.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Thanks for the info gtrogue - it sounds like I'm not losing any picture then, so I won't worry about it :)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.