AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just saw HBO advertise Star Wars: AOTC for June 14. Is this the first time SW was on a premium cable channel. Also what it is also on HBO:HD
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,772 Posts
Yeah, a while back HBO inked a deal with Lucas/Fox allowing them to air the prequels. The best thing about that.....HD. Of course we'll have to wait to see how it is presented. AOTC, shot digitally, should look pretty good in hidef, but we'll see.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
566 Posts
I am hoping there is a chance they will run it in it's OAR. HBO has been running The Fifth Element in 2:35:1 recently so it's not unheard of.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,771 Posts
That's an old transfer. HBO was OAR for a while, then switched on us. The only way it will be OAR is if Lucas insists on it. Otherwise they will zoom and crop.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
28,093 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Matt_Stevens
That's an old transfer. HBO was OAR for a while, then switched on us. The only way it will be OAR is if Lucas insists on it. Otherwise they will zoom and crop.
Lucas gave up caring about OAR when he authorized the pan&scan DVD releases for Eps I and II, and the IMAX version of II.


I forsee the HBO screening being cropped to 16:9.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
670 Posts
Quote:
The only way it will be OAR is if Lucas insists on it. Otherwise they will zoom and crop.
Yes, it will be cropped. I'll bet ya.

Quote:
Lucas gave up caring about OAR when he authorized the pan&scan DVD releases for Eps I and II, and the IMAX version of II.
I don't think you can say that. The studio probably wanted it more than Lucas did. Besides, why should you care. You got your widescreen version.:p When you should start worrying is when there is no widescreen available. If the Wal-Mart moms and pops don't want to black bars, as they frequently call them, who cares. Not affecting me as long as I get the widescreen.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,771 Posts
Lucal may insist on OAR for the High Def version. We won't know until 5 weeks from now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
28,093 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Terrell
I don't think you can say that. The studio probably wanted it more than Lucas did. Besides, why should you care. You got your widescreen version.:p When you should start worrying is when there is no widescreen available. If the Wal-Mart moms and pops don't want to black bars, as they frequently call them, who cares. Not affecting me as long as I get the widescreen.
There was at one time a mandate at Lucasfilm's THX mastering program that they would only release films in the director's chosen OAR. Then eventually they threw that rule out the window and nowadays it's anything goes over there.


As you say, so long as we also get a proper OAR version it doesn't really matter. The question is whether there will be an OAR presentation in high-def, or if it will only be cropped to 16:9.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
670 Posts
Quote:
There was at one time a mandate at Lucasfilm's THX mastering program that they would only release films in the director's chosen OAR.
Yeah, and this was before they really had any DVDs on the market. Since practically every studio and filmmaker puts out P&S releases nowadays, the Lucas is evil crap doesn't work in this situation. So it seems everything goes at every studio. But I realize Lucas will get called on it while others will get a free pass for doing the same thing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
28,093 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Terrell
Yeah, and this was before they really had any DVDs on the market. Since practically every studio and filmmaker puts out P&S releases nowadays, the Lucas is evil crap doesn't work in this situation. So it seems everything goes at every studio. But I realize Lucas will get called on it while others will get a free pass for doing the same thing.
I didn't say Lucas is evil. He is, however, a hypocrite.


Yes, other studios put out pan&scan releases. But those studios never made a public statement saying that they would only release products in OAR. Lucasfilm did make that statement, and then later changed their policy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,988 Posts
Quote:
Lucasfilm did make that statement, and then later changed their policy.
Knowing Lucas, I wouldn't be surprised if he claimed the revised policy was his "original intent" all along.


His word can't be trusted.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
28,093 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by RobertR
Knowing Lucas, I wouldn't be surprised if he claimed the revised policy was his "original intent" all along.
And that the technology at the time did not allow him to present movies at the wrong aspect ratio as he always wanted.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
435 Posts
Lucas is am amazing plus to the film industry but, he has become cheesy on some of his previous statements, re-releasing his movies over & over,

& whats with his THX logo?, Its really becoming a marketing tool.

I honestly saw THX certified computer speakers.


I hope he decides to stick to his guns the way he used to, and have these OAR.


Jessica
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top