AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
By far the best SW yet. It was totally AWESOME!!! It is 3:20 am and i just got home and am totally JACKED!!!!! I can't sleep now. :D

WTG George Lucas.

Go see it as soon as possible. You wont be disappointed even if you are not a SW fan.

Ron

·
Registered
27,143 Posts
Did you see it via a digital PJ?

I can't wait to check it out!!!

JEff

·
Registered
914 Posts
I'm going to see it after the weekend at Chicago's McClurg court (city's biggest scree, THX certified, and a new Texas Instruments DLP digital PJ). I'll let you know how it looks. Sorry it won't be sooner, but I'm going late on a Tuesday night after opening weekend. I love SW, but I'm not fighting the crowds of fanatics...besides that's when my buddy is flying in from Boston to see it with me (did I say something about fanatics, er, um).

·
Registered
88 Posts
Good to hear some positive comments on it. A few radio stations, that have movie reviewers, have been calling it all sorts of bad things and have gone as far as to say it's the worst movie out this year. I don't believe what they're saying at all, but it's still nice to hear some positive comments! I hope to see it soon in a digital theater!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It is a VCD rip and a very low quality one at that from what I have heard. There is only 1 person that I will trust to release the movies and that is George Lucas.

If you are a Star Wars Fan or even an Action Movie fan you will love this movie. It is the most Prolific action movie that you have ever seen.

Best SW of them all as far as action goes as far as I am concerned. I LOVED IT!!!!!

Ron

·
Registered
564 Posts
I went and saw it this afternoon. It's good. I was concerned at the start, but when it got going, it really got going.

I love the CGI Yoda. After seeing this movie, there is no question why they call him Master.

Overall, I'd have to give it an A-.

--Burke

·
Registered
220 Posts
this is all good news so far (the good reviews that is), but I've found that the secret to my enjoyment of movies nowadays is low expectations. So, even though there are some good reviews, I'm not gonna expect much from it.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Saw it yesterday. I had moderate expectations and the movie surpassed them all. My wife loved it as well. Great flick! Yoda Rocks!

--Steve

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was really worried that Yoda was going to be Cheesy. You know, kinda muppet like. Yoda flying through the air for a roundhouse kick and you see a fake dummy looking object with the strings and wires. :D

But Lucas proves once again that "HE" is the true master!!!!

Cant wait to see it again and again and agian. :)

Ron

·
Registered
3 Posts
Best Episode ever? No way. It was way better then Phantom Menace (Like that says much, a steaming pile of **** is better then EP1).

EP2 by far, blew past my expectations, which at the time were pretty low, with EP1 still in my mind. (Did I mention how horrible of movie that was?). Overall, I really enjoyed EP2, it followed more closely the original "themes" from EP 4, 5 and 6. But, overall, was still a little shy of the "original" star wars movies. The acting for the first part of the movie was horrible. The actors expressed no emotion (maybe Lucas thought he could use CGI to clean it up? :p), the dialog was weak and way forced. Even Samuel L Jacksons lines came off fairly bad, and very unbelievably forced. But sprinkled in with these sub par performances by the actors, were good action sequences, with some actual character development.

After the first slower half of the movie is over, it really picks up. And starts to mirror, and actually feel like the original series, and brought this sub par acting movie to a very fun, pretty good movie. Ending with a perfect start, to what has the potential to be a classic Star Wars movie, Episode 3! Overall, I'd give it 3 or 3 1/2 out of 4. Lucas needs to pay more attention to actual acting, instead of how he can incorporate more CGI into his movies. SW:EP2 has re-sparked my interest in SW, after the piss poor EP1.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Saw it and loved it. I think it had all of the elements of the earlier ones and while I did think some of the lines were forced I really thought Annicans character did a good job portraying his internal confilct and his emerging dark side. I watched one of the originals recently on TV and to be honest I don't think they have great acting either. I agree the first one didn't feel like SW but this one does and kind of bridges episode I with the others and developes the characters so much more.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
I haven't seen it yet, I hope to see it next week-end.

I do have one question for those that only like Ep 4,5,6. ( This is a legitimate question, no preconceived notions here). Is it possible that you hold those 3 movies ( particularly the first two) in such high regards because you were very young? Is is possible that NO MOVIE will hold a candle to what you felt the first time only because you are not capable of such emotions any more?

I suspect such is the case with me.

I believe a Coke commercial on that HUGE screen would impress a 7 year-old more than a 200 million dollar movie can impress a 35 year old. I remember everything about the day I first saw SW. The smell of popcorn, the immensity of the screen, my dad's hand on mine. It was bliss. I don't think a free 3-chip DLP can gime me a feeling like that. ( well, maybe). SO how can AOTC compete??

Gus

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You know I think Gus touched on something that I never thought about. And now that I think about it, it makes sense.

Another thing to think about is the fact that Star Wars and Empire Strikes Back were years ahead of their time. What did they have for competition as far as science fiction goes?? Nothing that even came close. Now we have movies like The Matrix and The Terminator. Special effects are nothing to the computer generation. Not much awes me anymore as far technology goes. But back then when I was an 11 year old boy going to the movie theater watching a movie about space ships, Lazer guns, and Light sabers......What kid, or even adult, didnt dream about actually doing that one day.

But all in all, I think ATotC was a superbly done movie. And to read too far into the movie and come out saying how there were to many Cliche's and politics involved is sad and maybe you don't need to see the movie that bad. (I actually heard some guys talking about it after opening night) I myself, I just like the entertainment value of the movie just like the first three.

Just my 2 cents. (well maybe it more like $23.50) :D

Ron

·
Registered
504 Posts
Gus you are absolutely correct. I'm a little older than you and was holding my sons hand during Star Wars. I enjoyed that movie more than any I have ever seen. That said I should tell you that I spent most of the time watching my sons face, it was pure magic. I laughed when he said the new Star Wars was "no where near as good" as the older releases. I doubt anything could make his draw drop and stop him from even breathing like Star Wars did.

I think we have all become jaded by our everyday world. The effects are bigger, the news is two hours long instead of thirty minutes. The "current events" programs read like a grocery store rag.

I think every one of our sensory buttons has been pushed so many times that there is little that really awes us anymore.

One more comment, and I have no factual basis for this, but it seems like a new "blockbuster" is released weekly. If memory serves, and it often doesn't, a "big" movie release used to happen two or three times a year.

Our world is different, in many ways better, is some ways it's rather sad.

Ken

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
DVD is apparently coming in the Fall.

AOTC was superior to TPM simply by the marginalizing of JarJar.

I enjoyed the movie very much... a combination of amazingly low expectations (so low that I debated not even seeing it) and fairly good entertainment value. The movie pulled you into the Star Wars universe unlike TPM. I rewatched TPM the night after and Sgt is correct... it is a steaming pile.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Here's my dream:

Lucas says he wants to do something special with the release of IV V VI on DVD, and it won't happen til after ep3 is finished, right?

So imagine this - A DVD box set that contains all six movies, a disc with specials on ILM, the making of all the movies, a disc with interviews with all the cast, AND a special bonus disc with maybe a 1 hour special or 'mini-movie' with the original cast + others giving a glimpse as to what's going on with characters since the battle of Endor. Perhaps showing Luke training potential jedi including Han and Leia's kids. Maybe showing Leia in a political role helping to restore the republic, perhaps even introducing some expanded universe characters for a little bit of conflict - Oh what the hell, let's just make it a full scale production!! Ep VII !!!! Lucky #7!

What??

I can dream can't I?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.