AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got the Star Wars Complete Saga on Blu Ray for Christmas and thought I would rip them to my HTPC using makeMKV like I have been with my other movies. I ripped the 1st title (angle 1), the DTS MA track, and the 1st english and forced subtitles.

Well, I found out the alien subtitles are not on the forced track. After doing some reading and searching on this I still have not found a definitive solution to getting the subtitles in. There were people saying how they used MKVmerge and handbrake to make their own "burned in" subtitles. and some others muxing/demuxing the video, etc... but I have not used or know how to use the tools needed to do this.

What is the simplest and most effective way to get the english alien subtitles in the MKV file while preserving the full bitrate video and HD audio? "Burned in" sounds like a good solution.

I usually use MakeMKV and playback with MPC-HC with MadVR and Cuvid with Lav filters.

·
Registered
11,822 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff lam /forum/post/21411694

So I got the Star Wars Complete Saga on Blu Ray for Christmas and thought I would rip them to my HTPC using makeMKV like I have been with my other movies. I ripped the 1st title (angle 1), the DTS MA track, and the 1st english and forced subtitles.

Well, I found out the alien subtitles are not on the forced track. After doing some reading and searching on this I still have not found a definitive solution to getting the subtitles in. There were people saying how they used MKVmerge and handbrake to make their own "burned in" subtitles. and some others muxing/demuxing the video, etc... but I have not used or know how to use the tools needed to do this.

What is the simplest and most effective way to get the english alien subtitles in the MKV file while preserving the full bitrate video and HD audio? "Burned in" sounds like a good solution.

I usually use MakeMKV and playback with MPC-HC with MadVR and Cuvid with Lav filters.

Read this thread regarding the forced subs in Star Wars:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...176923&page=12

For mkv I prefer using Clown_BD + BDSup2Sub + MKVMerge:

http://www.mediasmartserver.net/2010...n_bd-mkvmerge/

Or just stick with folder rips using Clown_BD

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
After finding a list of which subtitle tracks are for alien speech I re ripped the discs including the proper subtitle track (its not a forced one). Mkvmerge allows me to remux the file with that subtitle track making it default: default and forced: yes. Seems to load properly and automatically with mpc-hc. No other programs needed. I'll stick with this for now.

·
Registered
11,442 Posts
I have this post going in the MakeMKV is endless thread but thought maybe I should re-post it here as it is more appropriate..

So which is the correct English subtitle track to grab?

And what about the correct angle?

I'm getting some artifact of a multithreading dialog box or BD-Java in the lower right hand corner of the screen too. (not subtitle related but related to conversion to mkv).

Thanks..

·
Registered
11,442 Posts
Just wondering... Is there any further information about these multiple angles and subtitle files on this disc?

(Or call it a shameless bump if you wish)

·
Registered
11,442 Posts
I'm guessing nobody knows.. or cares?

·
Registered
11,822 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 /forum/post/21616923

I'm guessing nobody knows.. or cares?

I just went with the first angle and grabbed the forced subs as mentioned in my link to the forced subs thread. No issues here

·
Registered
11,442 Posts
You didn't get a bit of a pop up window in the lower right hand corner? This was on Episode 6, and I haven't had time to do any more work on it and won't again until next weekend.

Is it the same forced subs track for each movie?

·
Registered
11,822 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 /forum/post/21617465

You didn't get a bit of a pop up window in the lower right hand corner? This was on Episode 6, and I haven't had time to do any more work on it and won't again until next weekend.

Is it the same forced subs track for each movie?

No issues from when I checked.

Not all of the movies have forced subs, see this thread and spreadsheet

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...176923&page=12

·
Registered
11,442 Posts
Sweet.. Thanks. I guess that spreadsheet is being updated then?

Maybe that thread should be a sticky thread?

Mods what do you think?

·
Registered
11,822 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 /forum/post/21617596

Sweet.. Thanks. I guess that spreadsheet is being updated then?

Maybe that thread should be a sticky thread?

Mods what do you think?

I assume it gets updated periodically, It is open for the community to update

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 /forum/post/21609924

I have this post going in the MakeMKV is endless thread but thought maybe I should re-post it here as it is more appropriate..

So which is the correct English subtitle track to grab?

And what about the correct angle?

I'm getting some artifact of a multithreading dialog box or BD-Java in the lower right hand corner of the screen too. (not subtitle related but related to conversion to mkv).

Thanks..

Hi, Sorry it took me a couple days to get back.

I dont remember where I got the info but I spent a couple hours researching this set to get the subs right.

For star wars blu ray box set I got this from another site (can't remember where):

For forced English subs only (alien speech) we found the following with MakeMKV:

Episode I: 6th English subtitle track (not the forced but the regular english one)

Episode II: 6th English subtitle track (not the forced one)

Episode III: None

Episode IV: 2nd English subtitle track (not the forced one)

Episode V: None

Episode VI: 6th English subtitle track (Not the forced one)

What you need to do is rip the video and audio obviously but also the subtitle track I mentioned above.

The settings in MKVMerge when you select the subtitle track you just ripped will be:

Default track flag: Default

Forced track flag: Yes

Then Mux it. It should force that english subtitle track and the alien speech will show up just like a forced subtitle track.

It works for my setup using Lav and MPC-HC.

P.S. Ohh and angle 1 (first one) is the english one. From what I read, the various angles are different laguages for the opening words/pre story...

·
Registered
11,442 Posts
Thanks for the information. Did you get this information from the spreadsheet in the "Movies with forced subtitles" thread?

EDIT: I use MakeMKV rather than MKVMerge but it allows the selection of the subtitle tracks; it just doesn't ID the track number. I still think I can figure it out.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 /forum/post/21625205

Thanks for the information. Did you get this information from the spreadsheet in the "Movies with forced subtitles" thread?

EDIT: I use MakeMKV rather than MKVMerge but it allows the selection of the subtitle tracks; it just doesn't ID the track number. I still think I can figure it out.

I didn't check the spreadsheet in the other thread.

I also use makemkv. MKVmerge does not rip. It is needed in this case to mark the English subtitle track as forced. MKVmerge can also be used to merge 2 mkv files together (useful for the lord of the rings 2 disc movies to make them one mkv).

So you still use makemkv like you normally do, but after you rip it you need to use MKVmerge to change the forced flag on that English subtitle track.

·
Registered
11,442 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff lam /forum/post/21626432

I didn't check the spreadsheet in the other thread.

I also use makemkv. MKVmerge does not rip. It is needed in this case to mark the English subtitle track as forced. MKVmerge can also be used to merge 2 mkv files together (useful for the lord of the rings 2 disc movies to make them one mkv).

So you still use makemkv like you normally do, but after you rip it you need to use MKVmerge to change the forced flag on that English subtitle track.

Okay, otherwise one needs to manually turn it on in MPC-HC then?

·
Registered
11,442 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff lam /forum/post/21624373

Hi, Sorry it took me a couple days to get back.

I dont remember where I got the info but I spent a couple hours researching this set to get the subs right.

For star wars blu ray box set I got this from another site (can't remember where):

For forced English subs only (alien speech) we found the following with MakeMKV:

Episode I: 6th English subtitle track (not the forced but the regular english one)

Episode II: 6th English subtitle track (not the forced one)

Episode III: None

Episode IV: 2nd English subtitle track (not the forced one)

Episode V: None

Episode VI: 6th English subtitle track (Not the forced one)

What you need to do is rip the video and audio obviously but also the subtitle track I mentioned above.

The settings in MKVMerge when you select the subtitle track you just ripped will be:

Then Mux it. It should force that english subtitle track and the alien speech will show up just like a forced subtitle track.

It works for my setup using Lav and MPC-HC.

P.S. Ohh and angle 1 (first one) is the english one. From what I read, the various angles are different laguages for the opening words/pre story...

Okay. After downloading MKVMerge and working with that a bit I muxed it and got a great first shot at The Phantom Menace (Episode 1).

I set subtitle track ID6 to:

I set the remaining English tracts to:

Default track flag: No

Forced track flag: No

During play back in MPC-HC with subtitles set to "Enable" and "Default" I am getting the complete English Subtitles and the translated alien speech. I was hoping to have it so that the complete English Subtitles would be toggled on or off as needed but have the forced subs always on for alien speech. If I toggle off Enable or Default I don't get any subs at all.

What did I do wrong?

Or is this just the way it is?

·
Registered
11,822 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 /forum/post/21628929

Okay. After downloading MKVMerge and working with that a bit I muxed it and got a great first shot at The Phantom Menace (Episode 1).

I set subtitle track ID6 to:

I set the remaining English tracts to:

Default track flag: No

Forced track flag: No

During play back in MPC-HC with subtitles set to "Enable" and "Default" I am getting the complete English Subtitles and the translated alien speech. I was hoping to have it so that the complete English Subtitles would be toggled on or off as needed but have the forced subs always on for alien speech. If I toggle off Enable or Default I don't get any subs at all.

What did I do wrong?

Or is this just the way it is?

You didnt extract the forced subs. See my Clown_BD / MKVMerge guide here (note the BDSup2Sub section)

http://www.mediasmartserver.net/2010...n_bd-mkvmerge/

·
Registered
11,442 Posts
Thanks, Damian. That tutorial is awesome.

Now I see what I've been missing.

I'll report back my results when I'm done.

·
Registered
11,442 Posts
Okay, a few days back I did it per our guide, Damian, but the audio is way out of sync with the video. I haven't tried again but did I miss something?

·
Registered
11,822 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 /forum/post/21675372

Okay, a few days back I did it per our guide, Damian, but the audio is way out of sync with the video. I haven't tried again but did I miss something?

Hmmm.... no issues with audio for me. You made an mkv with mkvmerge, correct? I believe Star Wars is h264, did you lock the framerate at 23.976 in mkvmerge?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts