AVS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm playing Star Trek: Trexels and as I'm watching a video I see a Star Wars trailer beginning and I'm all ???

Star Wars is released on Digital HD today.

http://www.starwars.com/news/the-star-wars-digital-movie-collection-coming-april-10

"Extras vary by retailer".

I guess its too bad for us and good for Disney. Considering I bought every single version of every movie from VHS up, i won't be buying this for awhile if ever.

Just sell me my $300 Original Trilogy in HD and I'll be ok, but thats it.

I have my laptop to play all the movies on a plane or vacation if I needed to.

Anyone elses thoughts? (they are $20 each, or $89 for all, through iTunes currently)

·
Registered
548 Posts
You "old guys" have to remember there is a whole new generation or three that are not into physical media and who have never owned any star wars movies. Many that never even saw any of them. Some are watching for the first time because of the upcoming movies. They want to watch on their phone, roku, smart tv, tablet, laptop with one purchase. My guess is these will be on netflix/amazon prime when the new movies are released.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
You "old guys" have to remember there is a whole new generation or three that are not into physical media and who have never owned any star wars movies. Many that never even saw any of them. Some are watching for the first time because of the upcoming movies. They want to watch on their phone, roku, smart tv, tablet, laptop with one purchase. My guess is these will be on netflix/amazon prime when the new movies are released.
And we "old guys" will weep for the misguided youth watching their compressed You Tube videos on tiny screens as we enjoy remastered Bluray classics in our home theaters.:D

(Just having some fun. I think it is great that technology marches on and a new generation can enjoy the movies I grew up with.)

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
So, when will Disney finally rescan the original negatives in 4K??! One shouldn't spent any money on these old detail missing transfers that are based on a scan with DVDs(!) in mind!!!

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
Money grab. I was excited when I saw the commercial during 12 monkeys season finale last night then was let down when I realized nothing new-just streaming/itunes/netflix/amazon/downloadable. Its too bad, I was hoping for a new 8K scan of the original theatricals before the modernization/re-imaging the movies went through over the years. Gonna pass on this one.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
So, when will Disney finally rescan the original negatives in 4K??! One shouldn't spent any money on these old detail missing transfers that are based on a scan with DVDs(!) in mind!!!
There is another thread on this nobody wants to pay and the effects have to be regenerated for higher rez.

Further 1 and 2 were shot on 1080 digital camera so upscaling is the 'only hope' there.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
You young whipper snapper. Thing is for the $90 price you can get the Episodes IV-VI SE Trilogy on blu-ray plus a blu-ray player or close to it.

There is another thread on this nobody wants to pay and the effects have to be regenerated for higher rez.
The original theater Episodes IV-VI Trilogy do not need the effects regenerated, they were shot on camera not counting the wireframe of the deathstar. The rest of the episodes had CG VFX locked at 2K.

Disney wont because the ON are Fox propriety. Gotta wonder about those who cannot figure this out.

·
Registered
548 Posts
You young whipper snapper. Thing is for the $90 price you can get the Episodes IV-VI SE Trilogy on blu-ray plus a blu-ray player or close to it.
You could give them a blu-ray player and it will just sit in the box. The streaming crowd is 100 million people. Those folks, and the younger generation who has never seen star wars, could care less about blu-ray or any physical media.

·
Registered
9,889 Posts
Convenience-microwave generation; the "dumbing-down of the masses". The sheople (think MP3s sound great) have no idea what's good for them.

But give the people what they want. Me, I'll take physical media every chance I can.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts