AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see dvd sets for Star Wars episodes IV,V.VI on eBay that are made in China. I have heard that these are made from laser disc. Does anybody have the set? Are they any good? I would be watching them on a 65" HDTV. What is the quality of a laser disc in resolution as compared to 480p of a dvd. What are the dvd's going to released by Lucas films?

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
The Star Wars DVDs on ebay are, of course, bootlegs. Even though the Star Wars laserdiscs can look quite good on a higher-end player, I'm guessing that these discs aren't even that good.

Expect the legitimate versions in 2005. Whether we get the original theatrical cuts or only the Special Editions is still a question mark.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the help. Does anybody have the bootleg discs and could give us an opinion on the viewing quality.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
I'd hate to bring this up, but. Discussing bootlegs is outlawed in this forum. I suspect the moderators will be deleting this thread shortly.

GUS

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by thirdkind
The Star Wars DVDs on ebay are, of course, bootlegs. Even though the Whether we get the original theatrical cuts or only the Special Editions is still a question mark.
Well since Lucas has said the orignal theatrical version will never again be released I think it's safe to say they won't be the Theatrical release version.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Quote:
Well since Lucas has said the orignal theatrical version will never again be released I think it's safe to say they won't be the Theatrical release version.
Ahhhh, the wonderful thing about the human mind is that it can change. I won't discount seeing the original theatrical run on DVD as of yet.

Peace Out~:D

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Or you can do what I did, drag the LD player out of storage, dig out the SW:trilogy disks. Capture them into a computer, and play them back from an HTPC.

I used very little compression on the capture and as such it take a 60gb drive to store each movie.... but I can't tell the difference between the LD and digital copy.

And always remember --- Hans shoots 1st!

- Rick

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Quote:
Ahhhh, the wonderful thing about the human mind is that it can change.
You presume Lucas is human? I bet further inspection would reveal something more like a weasel.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Hey, the guy is a millionaire several times over, whatever he is doing, he is doing it better than you or I. Weasel or not.

I think people make way to big an issue over SW. I love the movies, but come on, grow up people, who cares if Han shot first or not.

It's his movies, let him do with them as he pleases.

Peace Out~:D

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
On Lucas's part you can have $1 or a million dollars in your pocket, while your going out of your friggin *mind* "**** happens".~Predator 2 :D

·
Registered
865 Posts
We'll see if you're still saying that when Lucas splices CGI ewoks and Jar Jar into EPIV, adds a CGI Yoda song-and-dance scene to EPV, and puts a CGI thong and pasties on Jabba in EPVI! :p

Jokes aside, I do believe that it is very important for such historically important films to be available as they were origionally seen. I am pretty confident that Lucas will realize he can sell more DVD's by releasing the origional versions in addition to his revised versions. Say what you will, the guy is pretty smart when it comes to marketing.

·
Registered
6,226 Posts
ron-p,

i think you made a great point...these are just movies!!!!!!!i hear so much talk about how he's ruined the last 2 movies he's made,but really so what..i like the movies as well as the next man, but i don't live and die over this mans every move...or picture.

and to answer someones question, these ebay movies look terrible on a crt projector, although they look fine on smaller sets...and know i don't own them although i have seen them played in both situations..

brickie

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.