Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all

I have the first ever American widescreen laserdisc editions of the original Star Wars trilogy on NTSC laserdisc, and I'm currently gathering the later THX and Definitive Collection editions from eBay. Everyone says they're rare, but you can find 20 of them up for auction at any given time.

But has anyone ever seen this laserdisc set that seems to be truly rare? It's the French version of the Definitive Collection, "La Guerre des étoiles trilogie", 12 CAV sides, PAL video format, in English with French subtitles in the lower letterbox bar. (check this page on IMDB . It's the first one on the list.)

I haven't found any confirmation that this disc actually exists, or what it looks like. If it does exist, I'd like to find out how I can lay my grubby little mits on one, and how much I might expect to pay for it.

I'll worry about getting a PAL laserdisc player later. =)

·
Registered
28,392 Posts
Keep in mind that a PAL laserdisc player cannot convert to NTSC. It will just pass raw PAL. You will need a multi-standard TV or an external PAL-to-NTSC convertor.

If this is just a French version of the Definitive Collection box, I don't see it being particularly desireable unless you are a completist collector. Otherwise I would assume it to be the same as the American DC box, but with subtitles and all packaging text in French.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Josh Z
Keep in mind that a PAL laserdisc player cannot convert to NTSC. It will just pass raw PAL. You will need a multi-standard TV or an external PAL-to-NTSC convertor.

Yes, I know. My intention is to feed it into a PC. The attraction of this disc set isn't that it's French. It's that it's in PAL. Extra scan lines and such. You know where I'm coming from.

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Darebear
Yes, I know. My intention is to feed it into a PC. The attraction of this disc set isn't that it's French. It's that it's in PAL. Extra scan lines and such. You know where I'm coming from.
Even if you do find it, it's far from certain that it will look great??? I've heard the quality of PAL discs varies greatly...can be very good or very poor...? A better bet would be to aqquire the Japanese LP's instead. They play their very best on the HLD-X9 and LD-S9 too...you can stille feed them to a HTPC if you want? Those are players worth pursuing IMO. BTW, there are few really good PAL LD players too...that's been determined in LD threads in the past.

Calling all European LD dudes, have you seen these discs???? Pretenders...or contenders? I am curious too???

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
There is also issue of PAL speed up. If you only heard NTSC versions you will notice it right away. What is it with people and those few extra scan lines, after all it is not HD. I can guarantee you you will notice it on LD plus picture flickers like crazy due to lower frame rate. Most PAL LD's were poor quality compared to US or Japanese counterparts.

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
I'd be willing to bet it does't exist. I'm a bit of a Star Wars LD nut and I've never heard of it. A fairly detailed search on a.v.l turn up many, many references to the PAL SE set, but no other boxed PAL sets.

Obviously, this isn't any sort of proof that it doesn't exist, but it seem likely.

·
Registered
28,392 Posts
As said by others, PAL laserdiscs were usually of lesser mastering quality than their NTSC counterparts. Many of them were actually upconverted from the NTSC video master, offering no additional real resolution and suffering from NTSC-to-PAL conversion artifacts.

PAL laserdisc players were typically not as good as NTSC-only machines. You'd get a better picture playing the US edition on a good player like the CLD-D704 than you would playing the PAL edition on a typically mediocre PAL LD player.

If you're a completist collector, by all means seek out a copy. I certainly understand that impulse. But if what you're really concerned about is quality, I wouldn't bother going to the trouble.

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by FoxyMulder
i thought the french used the Secam tv system and not PAL ??
I'm the farthest thing from an expert on this subject but as I understand it, SECAM is PAL with some minor variations. I think SECAM is broadcast but that their DVD's are PAL.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Hi,

European Laserdiscs are all PAL/Secam. There is little difference between pal and secam ( just the French being difficult) so PAL LDs cover both systems.

The other big difference is that there is NO ac-3 on PAL LDs as the picture and digital audio take up all of the available space on the disc....... so it's prologic only.

Afraid I can't comment on the availability of any French discs.

Brian.

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
Difference between PAL and Secam is in the way color information is transmitted which is very different. PAL is actually much closer to NTSC in that regard. There were no Secam Laserdiscs and there are no DVD's. The only prerecorded software in Secam was VHS.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by CKNA
There is also issue of PAL speed up. If you only heard NTSC versions you will notice it right away.
That's a non-issue. As is discussed in the HTPC section of this forum, the PAL LD would only be source material for a capture to hard disk. Once it's there, I'm in control of how fast it plays back. The end result after processing and rendering will be 24p, or 23.976p if I'm so inclined. I can even convert it to native NTSC if I want. I can take the picture from the PAL disc, reduce the speed to 23.976 fps, and lay in the audio from the NTSC disc if I like. The flexibility is endless.
Quote:
What is it with people and those few extra scan lines, after all it is not HD.
With standard definition video, I'll welcome as much as I can get. And when we're talking about 1:2.35 letterboxed material, every little bit counts.
Quote:
Originally posted by Josh Z
Many of them were actually upconverted from the NTSC video master, offering no additional real resolution and suffering from NTSC-to-PAL conversion artifacts.
That's a good point. As I understand it, the market for PAL laserdiscs was already very small, as most people in PAL regions bought NTSC laserdiscs anyway. Add to that, this disc set was localized for France, and the press run was probably very limited. Maybe not worth a special transfer? But this is STAR WARS, not some obscure arthouse flick, and they are FRENCH after all, so maybe they did one? ;-) I don't know. What I could use is more information.

I'd still like to know if anybody is aware of this disc set, and if there is a review of it anywhere that could shed some light on these questions.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Salmoneous
A fairly detailed search on a.v.l turn up many, many references to the PAL SE set, but no other boxed PAL sets.
Quick question. I hope I don't sound like too much of a dunce, but what is a.v.l?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.