AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
4 of us (with thousands and thousands of dollars in HT equipment) trekked to Orlando (from Tampa and Sarasota) on Saturday to watch this at Pleasure Island AMC.

None of us were happy with the visual presentation.

From the early Jedi Council scenes, it was obvious (but we couldn't believe it, because this is digital) that the characters on the left side of the screen were blurry - outright blurry. Someone would speak, you'd look over there and see a burry head. This was proved out on the final credits - look when the names appear in 3 columns, then as a name appears in the lower left it is clear, and as it scrolls up it gets fuzzy - still readable, but blurry for sure.

This affected every scene and really blew it for us (one guy was sad he didn't bring his glasses - but it wouldn't have helped).

We had none of these issues posted elsewhere:

Vertical Lines

Artifacts

Pixelation

Screendoor

jitter/jaggies

flicker

The feature displayed NO SOUND teaser at the beginning, so we don't have any idea what the sound spec was - although there was no decent earth-moving bass. Plenty of overhead surround.

We sat in the 5th row down from the entry level, NOT up in the stadium seats.

The panning, as discussed, is terrible. During the scene where the Jedi is getting the tour of the clones, they show the facility on the right side of the walkway and pan all the way across the path to the left side - one total mess - couldn't see a thing.

Also annoying was the RED BAR on many objects which appeared on the left and top sides of objects - and a corresponding blue bar on right/bottoms. In the Tatooine scenes, I remember back on Episode 1 people complaining about the Edge Enhancement (EE) that was put into that DVD - gee, I'd love some EE after seeing this crap - WAY to many soft edges on too may scenes.

The colors were fabulous.

The final light saber scene was awesome.

Just nothing was crisp.

Each of us has a clearer CSI picture in our homes than was up there on that screen - and for all the effort spent traveling there, it wasn't worth it.

AMC BITES _ well, there's been problems with traditional theaters for ever - people who don't really know what they are doing (we think) running the equipment. We stopped into "Theater 1" showing Epi2 on our way out. The 4 of us walked in on the water planet scene in the WHITE Room, where the chair comes out of the ceiling. FLICKER. then FLICKER and more FLICKER. The whole screen is FLICKERING at us - I would have been sick if I had to watch this in there on such poorly tuned projection equipment. Sub-standard for sure.

The Proj. in #19 was a TI projector, btw.

Before you head over there specially for this, I'd suggest giving them a call. They can argue with many subjective issues, but not the blurriness of the credits rolling by. If they don't fix this before you see it, you'll be sorry.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Would you say the focus was sharp on the edges and blurry in the center?

The red top left and blue down right sounds like a convergence issue. Is that possible with a 3 chip DLP or would the focus problem cause that effect?

·
Registered
970 Posts
Jaymer,

Your experience sounds similar to mine at CinemaWorld 16 in Melbourne.

See this post for details:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...23#post1078323

I knew something wasn't right when I saw the opening Star Wars scroll which looked so flat and blurry I thought I was going blind.

But like you mention the blurring of the movie was the most annoying part for me even to the point were after awhile you start to think your eyes are going bad. I couldn't tell if it was the focus or what but something was definitely wrong.

I think it boils down to these theaters have untrained $5.00 an hour kids running the projectors. I know this is the case at CinemaWorld since every employee working there looked like they were still in high school. The most frustrating part is anyone who works at the theater that actually spent 2 seconds watching the movie could see that something wasn't right with the projection.

I also agree that what we see in our own homes looked way better than the botched DLP presentation at these theaters. I was so pissed at how CinemaWorld botched the presentation of this movie I was tempted to tell them I wanted my measly $3.50 back. In the end I decided it wasn't worth it since it looked like the people working there probably wouldn't even know what I was talking about.

Jaymer why didn't you go to the DLP presentation in Pinellas Park?

Barry

I would say that what I saw at CinemaWorld was shaprer in the center and more and more blurry toward the edges.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.