AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking on ebay and half.com to pick up the original three Star Wars episodes on ld. There are a number of different 'editions' of the trilogy ("Special Widescreen Edition", "Widescreen THX Edition", "Trilogy Special Edition" boxed set, etc) for sale. Someone even advertised one which was supposed to be AC-3. The prices vary wildly. Am I correct in assuming that ALL of the various editions are actually matrixed (Pro Logic) surround sound - or is there really a difference?

Thanks a million!

htomei

·
Registered
776 Posts
The Trilogy Special Edition boxed set contains the altered versions rereleased to the theaters several years ago. These all have new DD5.1 remixes in addition to the PCM matrixed tracks.

All older versions contain only matrixed surround mixes.

·
Registered
28,096 Posts
Only the Star Wars Trilogy Special Edition box set has DD 5.1 audio. All of the releases of the original versions of the movies have PCM two-channel surround.

The best copies of the original trilogy are either the Definitive Collection box set (big black box with 9 discs and a hardcover book), or the three THX-mastered CLV discs (the ones with big character faces on the covers). You can safely avoid anything else.

·
Registered
10,464 Posts
Quote:
The best copies of the original trilogy are either the Definitive Collection box set (big black box with 9 discs and a hardcover book), or the three THX-mastered CLV discs (the ones with big character faces on the covers). You can safely avoid anything else
If you're a purist,then yes.However if you wan't the best sound and picture on these discs,then get the SE box set[with the silver writing].

·
Registered
940 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by thehun
If you're a purist,then yes.However if you wan't the best sound and picture on these discs,then get the SE box set[with the silver writing].
I love the 5.1 in the SE's.

However, I seem to get a better Star Wars experience with the original versions.

Those little screwups in the SE Trilogy have been getting to me...

·
Registered
28,096 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by TK Doom
I love the 5.1 in the SE's.
Honestly, have you compared the 5.1 with the PCM tracks on the same SE discs? The 5.1 mix has some split surround effects, but I found that the PCM track sounds much richer and fuller, and has more surround activity in general.

·
Registered
15,497 Posts
Where can you find those CLV THX laserdiscs of the un-screwed with trilogy for less than a bazillion dollars?

Any place still sell new ones?

Dan

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Dan Hitchman
Where can you find those CLV THX laserdiscs of the un-screwed with trilogy for less than a bazillion dollars?

Any place still sell new ones?
They are currently selling on eBay $60-90 for the trio, or $20-30 each. New copies are also available for a little more, roughly $40-50. Before Lucas' most recent "never on DVD" statment, they were going for $15-$20 used, and I expect them to settle down into that range once the latest craze wears off.

EDIT: The boxsets - both the DC and the SE - sell for more than the CLV "faces" trio. No accounting for quality. But then again, the most expensive Star Wars laserdiscs are the Ewok Adventures, so I guess that's obvious.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Kevin, Josh, anyone- Do we know if the Dolby Digital track(on the SE boxset) was a reworked mix based on the PCM track, or was it the original Dolby 6-track stereo pulled from the original 70mm release print? I hope someone knows.

·
Registered
117 Posts
As far as I know the DD 5.1 track on the SE box set is the remix done for the 1997 re-release of the films. The PCM track is a downmix of that 5.1 1997 remix. There are several things that are different with the SE audio vs. the original audio so it appears that they remixed the sound for all three films from scratch (unfortunately).

If you want the original audio, which is probably a downmix from the magnetic Dolby 6 track, you'll only find it as a matrixed PCM track on the CLV THX discs, or the CAV Definitive Collection.

Phew, that's enough geeking out for now.

·
Registered
609 Posts
wait!

Quote:
If you want the original audio, which is probably a downmix from the magnetic Dolby 6 track, you'll only find it as a matrixed PCM track on the CLV THX discs, or the CAV Definitive Collection.
this is not exactly correct. The 'Faces' CLV THX discs actually have slightly modified soundtracks - they are supposedly 'remastered' which means there are some little effects that were added in here and there which to the total purist are kind of annoying. Beeps and boops when Han throws switches in the cockpit of the Falcon that are not there on the Definitive Collection for example.

I've owned every version of Star Wars available on Laserdisc, and if I was looking for the non-SE trilogy on laser I would probably just pick up the faces discs - the additions to the soundtrack I mentioned are few and far between and you wouldn't notice them unless you are a super die-hard fan who's watched the original original versions over and over (and even if you were you might not care - it's not like they change the story or anything). The Definitive Collection is cooler and has marginally better image quality but frankly on a normal TV it's really hard to tell and I found switching the extra disc kind of annoying (it's all CAV so each movie is 3 discs instead of 2).

·
Registered
260 Posts
jpritter and cpurvis- Thank you for your answers. When you both speak of the original soundtrack, I assume that you are referring to the original national release film soundtrack. This is not what was released on the 70mm prints. They had a special "Baby Boom" surround sound mix that was specially made for large format theaters. I thought that I had read somewhere, prior to the SE Boxset release, that it would likely have the Dolby multi-channel mix from the 70mm version. I never have heard what was actually used. Anyway, there were basically two "theatrical" soundtracks for Star Wars: regular and large-format. This is why I am interested.

·
Registered
28,096 Posts
There were three different theatrical soundtracks used for the film in 1977: mono, stereo, and 70mm 6-track. They were continually tweaking the soundtrack as each came out, so each has some slight differences from the others.

For the Definitive Collection LD box set, Lucasfilm went in and created a new soundtrack that was a composite of the best elements from all three of the originals.

I have never heard anything before that indicated the "Faces" discs were any different than the Definitive Collection box, though I have not compared them directly.

·
Registered
28,096 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Salmoneous
They are currently selling on eBay $60-90 for the trio, or $20-30 each. New copies are also available for a little more, roughly $40-50. Before Lucas' most recent "never on DVD" statment, they were going for $15-$20 used, and I expect them to settle down into that range once the latest craze wears off.
It's funny how these prices fluctuate. The disc originally retailed for the obscene price of $60 each! Stupid me thought I was getting a deal with the "Buy 2 Get the 3rd Free" sale at Suncoast. Wow, only $120 for the set. What a deal!

A few years later I sold them off for $25 for the set after I'd picked up the Definitive Collection box. Was lucky to get that much for them.

Now they're up to $60-90 for the trio. Hrmphhh... Should have waited.

·
Registered
10,464 Posts
Ken Cranes[DVD Planet] used sell those for $10 a pop sealed @1999.:D

I sold my ESB around $30 circa'97.I bought my SE box set for $99.00,and sold it a year later for $300.00!

·
Registered
609 Posts
prices are crazy. I got over $600 for a definitive collection box set and a SE box set I sold together when I closed out all my laserdiscs. This was just over a year ago.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Quote:
Honestly, have you compared the 5.1 with the PCM tracks on the same SE discs? The 5.1 mix has some split surround effects, but I found that the PCM track sounds much richer and fuller, and has more surround activity in general.
I agree. I thought the 5.1 mix on the SE pretty good, but sounded a little flat to me. I prefer the PCM track from the Faces set using prologic 2 or dts neo6. I thought they were much more spacial sounding than the 5.1

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
WOW!! The "faces" discs were $60 each retail? I guess I was lucky ... I got them (along with the "gray" versions a year earlier) from the Columbia House LD club. I don't remember but they might have even been part of my introductory shipment! I don't think I paid even $60 for the SE box set. I've still got them all and plan on keeping them since Lucas doesn't seem too keen on releasing the "unfinished" original versions on DVD or any future format.

·
Registered
10,464 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by gtaylor74
I agree. I thought the 5.1 mix on the SE pretty good, but sounded a little flat to me. I prefer the PCM track from the Faces set using prologic 2 or dts neo6. I thought they were much more spacial sounding than the 5.1
I'm glad you used the word "prefer".

The problem with matrix decoders that they "throw" sound around even if it wasn't intented by the film makers.They can't controll it only "predict" it.

The SE got a complete remix by soundesigner Ben Burt,so the 5.1 tracks are a correct "realization" of that effort,while the PCM tracks through any matrix decoder is simply an "interpretation" of it.

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by thehun
I'm glad you used the word "prefer".

The problem with matrix decoders that they "throw" sound around even if it wasn't intented by the film makers.They can't controll it only "predict" it.

The SE got a complete remix by soundesigner Ben Burt,so the 5.1 tracks are a correct "realization" of that effort,while the PCM tracks through any matrix decoder is simply an "interpretation" of it.
First of all, I agree that is all about preferences. But I think you are being a bit harsh on matrix decoders. You can specifically encode material to be decoded a cetain way. That part isn't necessarily random. You are correct that certain information that isn't intended to be matrixed does get moved. However, I've listened to the SW LD Dolby Surround tracks in DPL2 many times, and never her anything noticably artificial.

The sound tracks were reworked for the SE's. However, in my opinion, they got the audio-version of edge enhancement: pumped up bass, lounder booms, etc. However, I've only heard them once for each movie, so I'm no expert.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.