AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know hat resolution Lucas filmed the three Star Wars prequels in?

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Who cares, the prequels are going to look phenomenal on BR. Of course, after the great remastering job they did with 4-6 in 2004, those will probably look great as well.

·
Registered
242 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Kain /forum/post/0

Who cares, the prequels are going to look phenomenal on BR. Of course, after the great remastering job they did with 4-6 in 2004, those will probably look great as well.

i hope so cause i just watched Revenge of the Sith on HBO-HD and it was very very soft and full of motion blur- I was shocked to say the least. It was also playing on HBO-west non hd and that looked much better.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
I get the impression that the studios do not want to release thier 'babies' to such a tiny installed base. The only hope is Mr. Lucas himself pushing for a release.

·
Registered
693 Posts
an important note on ep 2 & 3.

ep 2 was shot on HDCAM which is 3:1:1 colorspace and 1440x1080 rez.

(this is why ep2 appears softer than 3 most if not all the time. ILM had a helluva time keying it)

ep3 was shot on HDCAM-SR which is 4:4:4 RGB color space and full raster 1920x1080 rez. Keying was a breeze.

I really hope comcast switches over to mpeg4 like dish is.

The HD signal quality is not really that great.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolrad /forum/post/0

Yeah it will look awesome, once they come out in 2010... If you think these are coming to any format soon your smoking something

I figure that by the time they do come out, Lucas will go back and fix the prequals so that 1 and 2 actually contain some decent acting. I figure he's so CGI happy, it won't be so hard.

·
Registered
6,024 Posts
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand this has what to do with Blu-Ray?

·
Registered
1,842 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalfreakNYC /forum/post/0

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand this has what to do with Blu-Ray?

Probably the assumption that they will be released on BD because they are distributed by FOX.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Exactly. I was wondering what the original resolution was in comparison to BD.

I'm not holding my breath waiting for these given Lucas' past history.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Harrison For recently was quoted as saying the reason he agreed to do Indy 4 was some sort of comprimise for turning down a star wars spin off movie lucas had approached him with. Could of been for the upcoming live action tv show. But it was my understanding that the tinline for that owuld be between episodes 3 and 4. and Harrison certainly isnt looking younger than he did in a new hope.

but yeah - this set and the LOTR set are 2 sets I'm not too worried about. They will no doubt set the bar across the board for quality.

Just as long as they keep it out of the cutting room.

·
Registered
693 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by benes /forum/post/0

The limitation was actually due to the tape format not the camera.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CineAlta

Indeed.

Straight off the HD-SDI spigot the F900 outputs 1920x1080.

Recorded to tape it yields 1440x1080.

It was shot on tape.

There was an article about the gal that logged and made safety masters.

I also heard that ILM had an optical disk array record some stuff as well, but not the whole movie.

·
Registered
4,039 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by edvedder /forum/post/0

i hope so cause i just watched Revenge of the Sith and HBO-HD and it was very very soft and full of motion blur- I was shocked to say the least. It was also playing on HBO-west non hd and that looked much better.

Who is your provider? D*

·
Registered
6,024 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dildatonr /forum/post/0

Harrison For recently was quoted as saying the reason he agreed to do Indy 4 was some sort of comprimise for turning down a star wars spin off movie lucas had approached him with. Could of been for the upcoming live action tv show. But it was my understanding that the tinline for that owuld be between episodes 3 and 4. and Harrison certainly isnt looking younger than he did in a new hope.

There is not an ounce of truth in that.

I need a quote.

·
Banned
1,888 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolrad /forum/post/0

Yeah it will look awesome, once they come out in 2010... If you think these are coming to any format soon your smoking something

Yep,I highly doubt Lucas is gonna release those films until he can buy a new ranch with the proceeds.... there simply aren't enough PS3 and Blu-ray owners to justify such a move. He waited for market saturation of players before releasing to standard DVD. However lets not forget that there will be much hoopla for the anniversary of the original Star Wars release. So anything is possible. Personally, I am not sure how excited I would get about it anyway. I have felt quite battered by his company over the years. After purchasing and viewing those films countless times in different editions on different formats I think my admiration for them has dwindled significantly. Not sure I could even stomach sitting through them again.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.