AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just watched (again) the three original movies. Still as enjoyable as ever. Now, I know there have been quite a few discussions on various technical aspects of the plots, characters, chronology, continuity and consistency – with lots of emotions, tempers, etc. One question remains in my mind, and hopefully it can be answered in a sporting way, without polemics.

What was the purpose of the armor worn by all the troopers?

It didn’t protect them from anything – not even the sticks and stones of the little teddy bears. Lasers, debris falling, nothing. Why would any army, rebel or imperial, spend so much to dress so many with something so useless? I’m sure I’ve missed something key here. Can anyone shed some light on this?

Regards, Michael

·
Registered
111 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbpg
I just watched (again) the three original movies. Still as enjoyable as ever. Now, I know there have been quite a few discussions on various technical aspects of the plots, characters, chronology, continuity and consistency – with lots of emotions, tempers, etc. One question remains in my mind, and hopefully it can be answered in a sporting way, without polemics.

What was the purpose of the armor worn by all the troopers?

It didn’t protect them from anything – not even the sticks and stones of the little teddy bears. Lasers, debris falling, nothing. Why would any army, rebel or imperial, spend so much to dress so many with something so useless? I’m sure I’ve missed something key here. Can anyone shed some light on this?

Regards, Michael
because it made them appear as an army of identical faceless killing machines.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewNameGuy
It protects them when the bump their heads on the low Death Star ceilings.
I'm sure it had some advantages for the wearer as well. You could roll right out of bed and put it on. Don't have to shave or even comb your hair. Can roll your eyes and make otherwise sarcastic facial expressions when confronted with your superiors...with the exception of Vader, of course.

Although I imagine it must have been a pain to go to the bathroom.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
It protects them when they bump their heads on the low Death Star ceilings.
Quote:
I'm sure it had some advantages for the wearer as well. You could roll right out of bed and put it on. Don't have to shave or even comb your hair. Can roll your eyes and make otherwise sarcastic facial expressions when confronted with your superiors...with the exception of Vader, of course.

Although I imagine it must have been a pain to go to the bathroom.
Allright you guys. I'm really serious about this. I mean, not having to worry about morning hygene is a real time saver, especially when the safety of the universe is at stake.

But the thing about the faceles army of killers - well, they could have just used masks for that. Easier to make, cheaper, etc..

How 'bout some some of the Star Wars fanatics out there - can you enlighten this poor ignorant soul?

Michael

·
Registered
28,087 Posts
It's just the Empire being cheap, and not caring about the safety of their soldiers. Their equipment looks impressive to a bystander, but offers little to no protection for the user.

I bet they also make them drive Humvees without any armor plating.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Quote:
Allright you guys. I'm really serious about this. I mean, not having to worry about morning hygene is a real time saver, especially when the safety of the universe is at stake.

But the thing about the faceles army of killers - well, they could have just used masks for that. Easier to make, cheaper, etc..

How 'bout some some of the Star Wars fanatics out there - can you enlighten this poor ignorant soul?

Michael
I was being serious. The whole outfit gives the impression of a mechanism, a robot. This adds to the fear that the "faceless" killer notion I mentioned earlier would have evoked. Clothing and a mask wouldn't have had the same impact. Also, the belief by any potential aggressor that it was actually armor may have been another way to intimidate any enemies.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I went out and checked with some of the serious SW geeks. Three explanations turn up

1. Protection from secondary debris. People have pointed out that the helmets and armor worn by US soliders won't stop a direct rifle shot, but is effective against all the stuff that gets kicked up in the heat of battle.

2. Intimidation. Looking tough is an important part of the job, especially when patrolling in backwater planets.

3. Environmental. The suits - especially the helmets - could be a primary defense against all the environmental hazards that exist on the far-flung planets.

·
Registered
4,715 Posts
That is a tough question. I'd say it just gives intmidation more then anything. Pepole know to stay away from them. Becase like you said it gives no protection at all. No camoflange eitheir as you can spot them from far away. Prehaps theirs some hidden fetures like filtering stuff in the air IE sand.the dark lennces in the helment must give some protection agensent the sun

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The environmental aspect is completely new to me – never even crossed my mind – but it does make sense. They did use it a lot in space on ships, so that may be one reason but there must be others.

It seems intimidation was a factor. I must admit, I was somewhat intimidated the first time I saw the imperial forces in full battle dress. I guess it’s kind of like the heavy armor worn by knights 500 years ago. Not very practical, probably hindered more than it enabled, but it most likely scared the crap out of other non-knights they went to battle against.

PCNO – peace. I wasn’t belittling your post. The faceless army is likely to be one intention of the director, and it does fit well.

Still, there must be more. This armor must have cost a bundle – not to mention the cost of cleaning it. It always sparkled.

Quote:
It's just the Empire being cheap, and not caring about the safety of their soldiers. Their equipment looks impressive to a bystander, but offers little to no protection for the user.

I bet they also make them drive Humvees without any armor plating.
Josh, this is so unreal, unlikely to happen that it’s not even a remote possibility.

Michael

·
Registered
8,103 Posts
I'm not sure if they're supposed to be clones, but they reminded me of the clone soldiers' armor.

One thing - police officers' uniforms don't really offer "protection" - other than kevlar vests underneath, which aren't always that effective. You could just say that the white armor is the soldiers' uniforms...

·
Registered
28,087 Posts
Quote:
Josh, this is so unreal, unlikely to happen that it’s not even a remote possibility.
We go to war with the army we have, not the army we want.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Quote:
I guess it’s kind of like the heavy armor worn by knights 500 years ago. Not very practical, probably hindered more than it enabled, but it most likely scared the crap out of other non-knights they went to battle against.
The armor of the medieval knights was actually practical. It was designed in a way that the knight was able to remain fairly flexable and the weight was distributed well enough that it did not bog them down much.

The History channel has done several specials that demonstrate just how effective the knight's armor really was.

·
Registered
8,103 Posts
 http://www.starwars.com/databank/org...clonetroopers/

Quote:
With their Jedi leaders taken out, the chain of command placed the clone troopers under the Chancellor, who would regroup and reform his galaxy-spanning armed forces into the stormtrooper ranks that came to symbolize the oppressive might of the Galactic Empire.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
The idea of the Empire being cheap and not protecting its forces is not off the mark, neither is the analogy of unarmored Humvees. The TIE fighters do not have shields or light speed capabilities, except for Vader's of course.

·
Registered
28,087 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotoman
Troll.
Grow a sense of humor. Jeesh...

·
Registered
111 Posts
Quote:
The environmental aspect is completely new to me – never even crossed my mind – but it does make sense. They did use it a lot in space on ships, so that may be one reason but there must be others.

It seems intimidation was a factor. I must admit, I was somewhat intimidated the first time I saw the imperial forces in full battle dress. I guess it’s kind of like the heavy armor worn by knights 500 years ago. Not very practical, probably hindered more than it enabled, but it most likely scared the crap out of other non-knights they went to battle against.

PCNO – peace. I wasn’t belittling your post. The faceless army is likely to be one intention of the director, and it does fit well.

Still, there must be more. This armor must have cost a bundle – not to mention the cost of cleaning it. It always sparkled.

I wasn't angry, I actually found the discussion interesting.

I'm sure the troopers we never saw, like the guy guarding some armory on some crap moon base probably wasn't sparkiling a whole lot and probably walked around half the time in his civilian clothes. Maybe he didn't even get a uniform he just got a hat or a t-shirt.

Perhaps Vader just made them all wear faux armor cause he figured, "I'm uncomfortable as hell, so everyone else should feel like crap too"

·
Registered
853 Posts
i think it's just a uniform (need to make everyone look the same, similar to todays military) and it's easy maintenance. just wipe it off and go. no washing, drying, and ironing or dry cleaning.

sort of like stainless steel underwear, crap in those and just hose em off.

muncey

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.