AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 147 Posts

·
Banned
34,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://ftw.usatoday.com/2015/03/sta...ogue-one-director-rian-johnson-felicity-jones

In a big old Star Wars news drop, Disney chairman and CEO Bob Iger hosted a shareholder meeting on Thursday in San Francisco and revealed that Star Wars: Episode VIII officially has a director and a release date and revealed more details of the first standalone spinoff film, Rogue One.
First, to the director news. This one was bandied about as a possibility for a while, but it has been confirmed: Rian Johnson will direct Star Wars: Episode VIII. I’ve been a big fan of Johnson since I saw his ultra-stylish, high school noir flick Brick, which if you haven’t seen, you should totally catch. He also wrote and directed 2012’s Looper, a fine sci-fi movie starring Bruce Willis and Joseph Gordon-Levitt.

The film also got a set release date: May 26, 2017. Put it on your calendars now.

As for the first standalone film, Rogue One, well there are all sorts of details about that. The film will be directed by Gareth Edwards (Monsters, Godzilla) and written by Oscar nominee Chris Weitz (Cinderella, About a Boy, Antz.) I’m totally down with Edwards as a director — his independent monster flick, Monsters, got me excited about the genre in a way I haven’t been in a long time.
The film also has a star, or at least the first casting choice made public: Felicity Jones, the English actress who stole a bunch of scenes in this year’s Oscar-nominated The Theory of Everything.

·
Registered
13,814 Posts
Gareth Edwards sucks......the jump from the garbage Monsters to the mostly just ok Godzilla means he'll throw a badass scifi flick in twenty years.

·
Registered
7,768 Posts
Gareth Edwards sucks......the jump from the garbage Monsters to the mostly just ok Godzilla means he'll throw a badass scifi flick in twenty years.
Monsters was basically a video sleep aid. Godzilla (or Muto, as it should have been titled) was just kind of there and completely forgettable. Odd choice for a high profile movie.

Edit: What am I thinking...this is Hollywood. Perfectly sane choice for this film.

·
Banned
34,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I couldn't agree more about GE.
A fairly shocking announcement IMO.

Both of his films were completely "forgettable."
Must have a great agent....:rolleyes:

·
Registered
27,226 Posts
Gotta say I'm a bit let-down that there's a plan that discontinues JJ's efforts for the franchise.
After the way he drove Star Trek into the ground in just two movies, it's probably for the best. Abrams has a history of putting all his energy and attention into getting his projects started the best he can, and then losing focus and letting the quality drift. Typical ADHD symptoms.

·
Registered
13,814 Posts
I couldn't agree more about GE.
A fairly shocking announcement IMO.

Both of his films were completely "forgettable."
Must have a great agent....:rolleyes:
Or Woody Allen and Sandusky vouched for him. :)

·
Registered
18,922 Posts
After the way he drove Star Trek into the ground in just two movies, it's probably for the best. Abrams has a history of putting all his energy and attention into getting his projects started the best he can, and then losing focus and letting the quality drift. Typical ADHD symptoms.
Yeah, here's hoping Paramount can salvage the Star Trek franchise. Just imagine if JJ did The Shining.

·
Registered
7,828 Posts
What's wrong with JJ's Star Treks? I loved both and the parallel universe was imo a brilliant idea to refresh the franchise without denying the previous films. Cast is great too.

Back to Star Wars, Edwards' Godzilla reminded me of the current superheroes treatment: less campiness, more seriousness. I mean the old Godzilla films for me are unwatchable (yes I can appreciate their "classsic" status and all, they just don't work for me), so I give him credit for taking this character into a darker journey, it worked. I'm looking forward to the second film. For now I'm not worried about his Star Wars film, I have hope. :)

Reactions: brahman12

·
Banned
34,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I mean the old Godzilla films for me are unwatchable (yes I can appreciate their "classsic" status and all, they just don't work for me)
The old Godzee movies are hysterical to watch.
Don't take them seriously....it's pure camp.;)

·
Registered
16,921 Posts
So Abrams is not doing the first one now?? I LOVED the Star Trek reboot and the sequel while not quite as good as the first was still a very good film IMO. Was really looking forward to JJ taking Star Wars for a ride. :(

What's wrong with JJ's Star Treks? I loved both and the parallel universe was imo a brilliant idea to refresh the franchise without denying the previous films. Cast is great too.

Back to Star Wars, Edwards' Godzilla reminded me of the current superheroes treatment: less campiness, more seriousness. I mean the old Godzilla films for me are unwatchable (yes I can appreciate their "classsic" status and all, they just don't work for me), so I give him credit for taking this character into a darker journey, it worked. I'm looking forward to the second film. For now I'm not worried about his Star Wars film, I have hope. :)
Agreed on all that. Really enjoyed the new Godzilla and looking forward to the sequel.

·
Registered
7,828 Posts
So Abrams is not doing the first one now??
I don't think it was ever stated that he was going to direct the new standalone, but I could be wrong.

·
Registered
6,962 Posts
I disagree. The JJ films ignored/modified so much of the characters and continuity (not to mention rehashing a previous ST movie plot), that I found plenty wrong with them.

·
Registered
16,921 Posts
I don't think it was ever stated that he was going to direct the new standalone, but I could be wrong.
I must be remembering that wrong. I would have swore I read on here JJ was involved, but apparently not.

I really wish JJ was involved as he made Star Trek entertaining and interesting for someone who has never been a ST fan like me and I would love to see what he would do with Star Wars.

·
Registered
18,922 Posts
Ah, a lens flare joke about JJ? Played out, my friend.

You want some bacon and sriracha to go with that? :p
JJ and lens flare jokes nevah get old.

Great idea. Taco Bell and their sriracha quesarito for lunch it is. Live mas!:D

·
Registered
7,768 Posts
1 - 20 of 147 Posts