AVS Forum banner

41 - 60 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
749 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
thehut.com is a U.K. company just like zavvi.com or amazon.co.uk (see the first post for links). I've never purchased anything from them. If you have a amazon.com account it works at amazon.co.uk. All three ship to U.S./Canada.
My bad, so um.. Any reason OTHER countries get this before the U.S.?

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
My bad, so um.. Any reason OTHER countries get this before the U.S.?
Acceptance of 3D is probably stronger in Europe than in North America.

The studios haven't stated why they don't always bother with a 3D release. You'd think it would be only about the money, but this month's 3D movies (Ready Player One, Tomb Raider 2018, and Pacific Rim Uprising) all are getting a U.S. 3D Blu-ray release. A Star Wars 3D Blu-ray would outsell all of them. In fact, the Star Wars Rogue One 3D Blu-ray sold out in North America.

https://www.cnet.com/news/3d-tv-may-be-dying-but-rogue-one-3d-blu-ray-is-sold-out/

Any reason anyone can offer is just a guess.

·
Registered
430 Posts

The studios haven't stated why they don't always bother with a 3D release. You'd think it would be only about the money, but this month's 3D movies (Ready Player One, Tomb Raider 2018, and Pacific Rim Uprising) all are getting a U.S. 3D Blu-ray release. A Star Wars 3D Blu-ray would outsell all of them. In fact, the Star Wars Rogue One 3D Blu-ray sold out in North America.

https://www.cnet.com/news/3d-tv-may-be-dying-but-rogue-one-3d-blu-ray-is-sold-out/

That is so annoying. I bought Rogue one, regular blue ray. and sometime later, I find out they made a 3D version so had to sell it and then get the 3D. Has happened to me a few times on other titles. Avatar was the first. But that was because the 3D was ONLY bundled with some Samsung player. Lamest move ever, the renewed their terms with Samsung again and had to wait about 2 years till it was finally on sale as a single Item. Saw it on ebay for around $100 - $200.
I hate those games, they are in business to make movies to sell and we are the ones in the business to buy them. I only wish there was aa 4K/3D package. It's always on or the other, except for the very few limited titles like:

IMAX: The Last Reef: Cities Beneath the Sea [3D] [4K Ultra HD Blu-ray/Blu-ray]

IMAX: Journey to Space [4K Ultra HD Blu-ray/Blu-ray] [3D] [3 Discs] 2015

Which I am willing to spend more. Since it's cost/space prohibitive to buy the 3D and the 4K.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I bought this and my BenQ W2000+ projector won’t recognize it as a 3D source. It plays as a normal BD, and 3D is off by default, if a force 3D looks distorted.

I’m gonna exchange it tomorrow, gladly I bought on a real store, and not online.

PS: nevermind, it does play on the PS4 fine. So, it was my other player. Looks great in 3D!

·
Registered
95 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Well, México is in North America, and we have it here.

A single disc 3D Bluray of The Last Jedi.
I forgot that México sometimes gets 3D Blu-rays that U.S./Canada do not. Planes 2 3D was one of them.

Did México happen to get Valerian in 3D? The Hong Kong release is selling out fast.

Do you know of any Mexican online stores that would ship to the rest of North America since we are all region A? I've found mixup.com.mx but they seem to only offer a pick-up-in-store option. Thanks.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I forgot that México sometimes gets 3D Blu-rays that U.S./Canada do not. Planes 2 3D was one of them.

Did México happen to get Valerian in 3D? The Hong Kong release is selling out fast.

Do you know of any Mexican online stores that would ship to the rest of North America since we are all region A? I've found mixup.com.mx but they seem to only offer a pick-up-in-store option. Thanks.

No, we didn’t get Valerian 3D on the domestic market, we only get the most popular movies, specially Disney, and the blockbusters in 3D.

Don’t know of any store that will ship to the US and Canada, usually things are more expensive here, and we usually don’t get exclusives. But...
You can try on the Mexican eBay, Mercadolibre.com.mx

·
Registered
95 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts

totally agree but there are relatively few of us.

Well if I was in charge of distribution. I would make sure EVERYONE could buy $$$$ every possible version that they wanted. It's all about money and profit. I (well we as a whole) personally want them to profit. The more money they make, the more films they make. So many films have sooooooooooo many versions. DVD/blu ray/3D/4K/Steelbook/Collection and then from there various combinations. Then a few years late,r they come out with some directors cut or re-mastered version, etc all over again.

I am willing to spend more for a 4K/3D set which would probably be around $34.99'sh, where as the 3D is usually $24.99 and the 4K around $29.99.

But to buy the 3D and the 4K costing around $55 and doubling up space is NOT happening. I believe I speak on behalf of all of us (3D enthusiast).

Unless if James Cameron is re-defining technology again with Avatar II to come out in 4K3D. Just my personal hope

Reactions: old corps and dew42

·
Registered
430 Posts
so you're saying I shouldn't buy the 3D version and the 4k version? Cuz that's totally what I'm doing...

I won't do it for every film but Star Wars is a different level.
I'm with you on that. On the select few films, but trying to do that with 500+ discs, one would need celebrity status money. It can easily run 10K-15K.

Which is why when ever I see a 3D/4K combo, I always buy one

·
Registered
19 Posts
I just purchased the UK 3D/2D version with the Amazon UK link (thanks OP). I have purchased from Japan Amazon and had to create a Japan Amazon account. This time, with the Amazon UK link, I was able to login with my USA login credentials (Nice Amazon). Much cheaper than the third party sellers selling the Bluray 3D/2D versions for $50 on USA Amazon. Below are my checkout cart detail of price conversion to USD, postage and ETA. Very happy Amazon made this easy on my wallet and not having to create a UK Amazon account. I believe I would have paid more ($30 - $40) if there was a USA 3D release. WIN WIN!

EDIT, it looks like Amazon UK increased the cost to £17.99 overnight so that is a $3.69 USD increase to what I paid. Which is interesting to the extent, I projected a low $30 3D USA release cost (which isn't going to happen).

Placed on April 07, 2018
Star Wars: The Last Jedi [Blu-ray 3D] [2017] [Region Free]
Carrie Fisher,Daisy Ridley,Adam Driver,Billie Lourd,Mark Hamill,Domhnall Gleeson,John Boyega,Gwendoline Christie,Oscar Isaac,Lupita Nyong'o,Andy Serkis,Benicio Del Toro,Steve Yedlin,Rian Johnson,Ram Bergman,Kathleen Kennedy
Sold by: Amazon EU S.a.r.L.

£14.99
(or less)
Learn more

Item Subtotal:​
£14.99​
Postage & Packing:​
£3.08​

Order Total:
£18.07
USD 26.27*
Selected Payment Method:​