AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Source: http://tvshowsondvd.com/news/Stargat...hoice-BD/11168

Source http://www.gateworld.net/news/2009/0...es-on-blu-ray/

To sum it up, Fox/MGM is creating a Fan-Based disc and will include 10 Episodes of Stargate Atlantis in HD! I'm going to guess that this will be a test to see if they would release StarGate Atlantis Season on Blu like it was rumoured to be.

You can vote for your favourite episodes at: http://www.stargatehub.com/fanschoice/

I voted for: Rising, Enemy at the Gate, The Seige, The Return ( RDA in HD :p ), Be All My Sins Remeber'd

Top Ten As of Jan. 15, 2009

1) Enemy at the Gate

2) Rising

3) The Seige

4) Tao of Rodney

5) Be All My Sins Remeber'd

6) The Shrine

7) Vegas

8) McKay and Mrs. Miller

9) Midway

10) Sateda

·
Registered
6,040 Posts
These should look fantastic, can't wait.

·
Registered
19,124 Posts
I absolutely hate this idea. While I don't object to the idea of "Best ofs" as a whole, with the higher price of Blu-Ray to begin with, I don't intend on purchasing this disc when:

1. They constantly rerun them on Sci-Fi HD forever.

2. As soon as they release season sets I'd want to pick it up that way anyways.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Meh. I refuse to buy shows unless they are in season or half season boxsets. Come on Fox!

·
Registered
4,273 Posts
Can't see buying a "best of" set regardless of the series.

As for seeing SG:A in HD, Sci-Fi just had a daytime marathon run of seasons 1, 2, 3, and 5 all in HD. I used the DVR to get some of the episodes that I missed. Season 4 is being shown in syndication in HD in some markets. WNUV-DT 54 in Baltimore has been showing SG:A in HD at the DVR only time of 2 AM for months.

Still, it is time for more season box set of TV series to show up in Blu-Ray. Like to see them become more routine.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Unfortunately, at least here in Winnipeg, SG:A isn't shown in HD

I'll be picking this up, mainly because I'm a huge fan of the series. I bought Rising when it first came out, and still bought Season 1 on DVD.

As long as this is a one time thing, I'm cool with it.. But if all they're going to do are stupid things like this, i'm going to pass.

·
Registered
8,359 Posts
I won't be buying it either. If it were the seasons, maybe (if the price was right), but definitely not a 'best of' set.

P.S. I've specifically been avoiding buying the DVDs too. I'm not interested in getting HD shows on DVD.

P.P.S. I'm shocked that Enemy at the Gate is #1, as I didn't particularly like that episode. Oh well, we all have different tastes.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exist2Inspire /forum/post/15568656

Unfortunately, at least here in Winnipeg, SG:A isn't shown in HD

I'll be picking this up, mainly because I'm a huge fan of the series. I bought Rising when it first came out, and still bought Season 1 on DVD.

As long as this is a one time thing, I'm cool with it.. But if all they're going to do are stupid things like this, i'm going to pass.

I'm up farther north than you and we get it in HD on the MovieCentral HD channels on Bell Expressvu.

I don't know if I'm down with a 'best of' boxed set either. I have the first 4 seasons of this on DVD and I will just complete it on DVD unless they release season 5 on BRD. I have no interest in a 'best of' thing, it reminds me of the kind of crap that Space(canuck Skiffy) channel will do in a marathon. To release that on Blu Ray is just lame to me.

Maybe if it was $15-20 I might fangirl-it-up and buy it, but I'd be more apt to buy a "Stargate SG-1 Top 10 or 20" blu ray boxed set then Atlantis. And I'd probably drop up to $50-60 on such a thing, too, especially if they had good commentaries. I lurve me some SG-1!

·
Registered
6,040 Posts
I'm not a fan of buying whole seasons of a TV show, as I usually only watch them once, if that. A 'best of' disc will be fine by me if I like the episodes.

·
Registered
905 Posts
In this particular case, depending heavily on which episodes are included, I'd rather have a best-of collection than the entire series. But that's me.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
I see Atlantis has FINALLY been given the green light on Bluray
if only for a sample disc with the 10 most popular episodes

You can vote for which epsiodes live right now at this at

STARGATE HUB

Information at GateWorld

Is anyone else as happy?

I wonder why someone started another thread btw, I have been following this for a couple of years now, it is not fair being kinda hijacked, the mods usually merge the threads into the oldest orignal post

The most popular episode looks to be Enemy At The Gate.

I had started threads back in 2007, but I do not know if they are still around .

·
Registered
6,040 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZtop /forum/post/15721974

The most popular episode looks to be Enemy At The Gate.

That just baffles me. It was a good episode and I think it should be included because it is the finale. But, most popular??? Meh.

I'm looking forward to getting this disc. I don't typically buy whole seasons of TV shows, but would like to own some solid episodes to show friends.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So, it seems that I forgot to update this thread back on February 9 when the results came in. So here they are:

http://www.stargatehub.com/fanschoice/

1) Enemy At the Gate

2) Rising

3) The Siege

4) Tao of Rodney

5) Be All My Sins Remeber'd

6) The Shrine

7) McKay and Mrs. Miller

8) Vegas

9) Midway

10) First Strike

The Stargate Atlantis Fans' Choice Episode winners are:

Enemy at the Gates and The Rising extended episodes!

Disappointed that Enemy at the Gate was voted the best episode, but at least Rising and The Siege made the list... Though, it does say that the winners are those episodes. I though this was going to be a "Best Of" Disc, and was hoping for more than 3 episodes ( Rising was two parts ).

Honestly, if the disc includes all ten episodes, I'd be happy.

·
Registered
6,040 Posts
I'm confused, isn't The Siege three, 1 hour long episodes?

Can't wait to see Be All My Sins Remeber'd on Blu-ray.

·
Registered
476 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobolisdead /forum/post/15568463

Meh. I refuse to buy shows unless they are in season or half season boxsets. Come on Fox!

rofl nice inclusion of those overpriced half-season BSG sets.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vazel /forum/post/15907865

rofl nice inclusion of those overpriced half-season BSG sets.

Yeah, I wouldn't buy those either, but they really are more like Seasons themselves. There plenty of episodes in them and there is usually 6-11 months between the half seasons when they air. They could have called them seasons and they probably should have done so. Heck, I haven't even bought any of those since 2.5 came out because I was awaiting the HD version.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkcohen /forum/post/15907584

I'm confused, isn't The Siege three, 1 hour long episodes?

Can't wait to see Be All My Sins Remeber'd on Blu-ray.

Yup! so, assuming that all ten of these episodes make it on there, the total running time should be

( Assuming 45 minute episodes )

585 Minutes.

The Siege, and Rising, should also look amazing in HD

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
It's really too bad they are doing it this way.

They won't sell very well and then they'll say - "Hey the demand isn't there so no release of the seasons will be forthcoming.".

I don't want to watch episodes scattered from here and there but I would love to get the seasons on Blu.

·
Registered
6,040 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exist2Inspire /forum/post/15915929

Yup! so, assuming that all ten of these episodes make it on there, the total running time should be

( Assuming 45 minute episodes )

585 Minutes.

The Siege, and Rising, should also look amazing in HD

Can't wait.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts