AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 300 Posts

·
Banned
8,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New 15th anniversary disc incoming

OK got more details from Dvdactive http://www.dvdactive.com/news/releases/stargate2.html

Quote:
Lionsgate Home Entertainment has announced a 15th Anniversary Blu-ray release of Stargate for the 27th October. Retail will be around $29.99. The disc will include both the theatrical and extended cuts of the film in newly remastered 1080P High Definition 16 x 9 Widescreen with English 7.1 DTS-MA Audio. Also included will be four hours of mind-blowing special features including three new featurettes, a never-before-seen gag reel, an interactive trivia track and more

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Any idea on a timeframe for the release?

·
Registered
20,659 Posts
Has it been 15 years already? I remember taking my wife (then girlfriend) to this in the theater.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Probably gonna be DNR:ed to hell like most Lionsgate catalog titles these days

And how many times are they gonna re-release this and T2 anyways (thinking about ALL the versions on LD+DVD)?

If they could do it right the first time instead of drenching us in a new version every 6-12 months.

·
Registered
849 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman /forum/post/16939434

Has it been 15 years already? I remember taking my wife (then girlfriend) to this in the theater.

I was thinking the same thing......1994....... Its hard to believe, where did the time go.

·
Banned
5,823 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie76 /forum/post/16939546

Probably gonna be DNR:ed to hell like most Lionsgate catalog titles these days

And how many times are they gonna re-release this and T2 anyways (thinking about ALL the versions on LD+DVD)?

If they could do it right the first time instead of drenching us in a new version every 6-12 months.

I'd like to buy this but experience has taught me to wait for reviews and news on whether the transfer is good or bad. If they strike a new print and lay off the DNR then i'll be right in there to buy ( this is a grainy movie with different film stock and won't ever look super smooth unless DNRed )

My gut tells me they will simply "remaster" which to a company like Lionsgate usually means tons of processing and super smooth for the looking through a window crowd.

Oh how i wish Sony had control of the Lionsgate catalogue. Imagine how good Total Recall, Terminator 2, Cutthroat Island, First Blood, Basic Instinct, Dirty Dancing and this could look if money was put into doing it right.

I imagine this will be the special edition/original theatrical cut and if it isn't then why not.

·
Registered
849 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxyMulder /forum/post/16940129

I'd like to buy this but experience has taught me to wait for reviews and news on whether the transfer is good or bad. If they strike a new print and lay off the DNR then i'll be right in there to buy ( this is a grainy movie with different film stock and won't ever look super smooth unless DNRed )

My gut tells me they will simply "remaster" which to a company like Lionsgate usually means tons of processing and super smooth for the looking through a window crowd.

Oh how i wish Sony had control of the Lionsgate catalogue. Imagine how good Total Recall, Terminator 2, Cutthroat Island, First Blood, Basic Instinct, Dirty Dancing and this could look if money was put into doing it right.

I imagine this will be the special edition/original theatrical cut and if it isn't then why not.

I am going to hold off until the reviews are in too. I am not happy with the current BD, but if they do this right i will double dip.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxyMulder /forum/post/16940129

I agree, Foxy. Lionsgate titles have a history of looking horrible. On the Sony score, the copy of American Psycho I was able to get from Australia is better than the NA version, although I haven't had time to watch the entire thing yet to properly review it.

However, I don't know if they can make the title look any WORSE than it does on Blu Ray already. Caveat emptor on Lionsgate titles though. Unless it's at least BETTER than the current copy I have, there's no way I'll buy this even if I'm an insane Stargate fangirl!

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailergod /forum/post/16940260

whoa... already 15 years !?!?!?!... wheres the remake ? ;-)

·
Registered
7,802 Posts
This movie just isn't one of those I'll buy again. I don't recall watching the DVD more than once or twice, so there's no reason to think the BD will make me want to watch it any more. Still, hopefully it's a solid disc for those who want it.

·
Banned
5,823 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdmike007 /forum/post/16941544

I never did get the UK disc, was the picture any better than the pap Lionsgate.

New details in OP

i guessed right and my post was pretty spot on then about remastering and including both cuts of the movie.

No new prints struck just a remaster. I don't hold out much hope for this although i'm sure the 7.1 track should be excellent and reason enough for some to upgrade.

I sure hope i'm proved wrong and this turns out to be as good as the film can possibly look but i just have this image of a Lionsgate employee turning a little knob all the way up and smoothing out that big bad grain.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Although this is one of my favorites (and the director's cut even more so), I didn't get the current release because of two things: A] The subtitles issue for the German and alien dialogue portions, and B] the severe lack of extras common with so many early Lionsgate BD titles. I see that the extras issue will be rectified with this release; hopefully the subtitles will be in place properly as well. I don't fancy getting into a fight with Lionsgate over a botched issue.

·
Banned
5,823 Posts
You can scrub Cutthroat Island off the list of bad Lionsgate titles i mentioned above as the review by Ralph is very positive so i'm hopeful it'll be very good when i get it.

That also makes me feel a little more positive towards this new release of Stargate.

·
Registered
825 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LineWalker /forum/post/16942783

The subtitles issue for the German dialogue portions,

Actually it Swedish, or at least they try to make it sound swedish

First time I watched that scene I really had to listen hard to understand what the hell they said

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
I bought the current release 2 weeks ago for $10. I doubt I will double-dip. My copy has the proper subtitles for the alien language.

1 - 20 of 300 Posts