AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked this up and gave it wirl on my 50" SONY HDTV. I have to say i was alittle dissapointed that they did not include a DTS track. This type of movie could really benifit from it. The sound is good though. The PQ on the other hand is only slight above average. I was really hoping for a good release but the quality doesnt seem much different then the first one. While this isn't bad it could have been a lot better.

Anyone else care to comment?

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
I'll bet the SE version just includes the original DVD release with the added extras. Everyone who has seen the new version seems to think it looks/sounds identical to the original which isn't a bad thing!

·
Registered
6,653 Posts
The SE does indeed feature improved picture quality, albeit not as dramatic as a superbit version perhaps would have. Here's a capture from the standard version. Notice the detail in the compound wall, mountains and clouds...

·
Registered
6,653 Posts
Now examine the same areas from the SE version. Improved, but not as dramatic, for example, as the Hollow Man comparisons...and the lack of a DTS track is, of course, a high crime against nature
!

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
i flipped back and forth between the two earlier tonight and would agree that the pq is improved, but not to a great extent.

to my eyes, i can see a deeper black level (check out chapter 2), and the fine details (birthmarks on skin in a medium shot, for example) are solid and steady, wheras on the older edition, if you look closely, you can see (the skin area) go a little soft at times (i would assume this is due to better compression on the new version).

the original ST disc was incredible and i used it as reference right up until this afternoon.

i still perfer the picture on that original edition to any of the superbits i've seen, and now perfer the SE over that...but its by a nose.

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
I see frankly no reason to buy this edition if you have the original version.

the stock was depleted and the studio wanted to grab those new consumers who were into dvd in 1998, that's all. same for MIB SE ( I have the original one in dts :D) .

and a superbit edition is a sure thing in the coming future anyway :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.