AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Struggling with whether to buy or wait. Have the $$ for the plasma and hate waiting but without the HD Tivo ... We have a ReplayTV right now and wouldn't consider life without a DVR now. I could get the plasma and just be happy with DVDs for now. Without HD programming though it seems like a waste. I could get a temporary HD reciever but is it worth watching live TV with commercials (not to mention the wasted $$ on the reciever)? And then switching between HD and back through the DVR for recording SDTV might be pain.

I think I answered my own question: be patient. :) Hopefully the HD Tivo is available early next yr. Forgot to mention I'm locked into DirectTV until about that time anyway.

Any opinions?

Dave

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
Get the 169time equipment. I have had it for a month and love it. I am sorry I waited so long.

Mike

·
Registered
192 Posts
If you've got the money for a plasma, what's another few hundred bucks for HD DirecTV. Take advantage of the $399 DirecTV HD offer (Samsung 160, 3 LNB dish + installation).

I did add don't regret it. I'm like you and want HD DirecTivo. I already have 3 DirecTivos in my house. But, realistically, the HD version probably won't be out until next summer.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I didn't know what the 169time was but, after investigating it, that's out of the question. I am completely ruined by the DVR. I could never go back to VHS recording.

So, for the other poster, what is your setup with SD DirectTivo like? Does the HD STB have DVI out that goes directly to the TV for live HD broadcast and a SD output goes to the DirecTivo to record as you normally would? I want to keep the system simple. If I happen to be in the HT room, I'll watch the HD broadcast live, otherwise, it gets recorded in SD (either automatic SD conversion from a HD channel or I set to record from the SD channel). I don't want to have to remember to flip an A-B swtich or anything like that (KISS).

I really want to jump on the bandwagon!

Dave

·
Registered
530 Posts
I was in the same dilema. I was in love with the time shift of my UTV and I wanted to make the jump to hd. I bought my projector and bought a rca dtc-100 from ebay for $200. So now I have my dtc 100 outputing rgb hdtv and my utv outputing svideo ntsc. When the D*tivo comes out I will buy it and ebay the dtc-100.

The problem is that I can not timeshift my hd programs from D*. So in the end I almost never watch any hd programs since I in the habit of watching everything timeshifted with the ability to pause.

my 2 cents.

dave

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
I have a HD FP system on a 130 inch screen for DVDs but still watch TV through an old 35 inch SD TV. I too am waiting for HD tivo, because otherwise the improved image quality to me means nothing. Personally, I'm waiting for HD tivo as well, and would recommend that choice to you if are brainwashed by tivo as I am.

On the other hand, if you watch alot of DVDs, it may be worth it to you to buy the plasma and get netfilx until HD-Tivo comes out. DVDs will look much better on an HDTV than a regular TV.

Lastly Dish network is making their own version of a PVR for use with their system. If that were out now, I'd just buy that. So, I'm waiting for HD tivo or HD Dish PVR.

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
169time for me right now. When Tivo is in the store an I can buy it, and I know about any "Bug" or short comings. Then I will think about buying it. I have no brand loyalty what so ever. What ever meets my needs when I need them, is where I spend my money

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
I just heard that the Dish HD PVR should be out next month

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
I feel your pain. I love my Replay TV. I have a DTC-100 that my

Replay runs, and a SAT520 that I use for real time viewing. With the Replay/DTC-100, I record DirecTV HD shows and regular shows. When it's a OTA HDTV show like CSI. I set up the Replay to record the DirecTV CBS channel, then I use the DTC-100's timer to switch to the OTA HDTV CBS channel. The result recorded at high quality is phenominal. It looks as good as any DVD, and it's anamorphic wide-screen.

I'm also waiting on the HD Tivo unit, and I will continue with this setup until it comes out.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Greg T
I feel your pain. I love my Replay TV. I have a DTC-100 that my

Replay runs, and a SAT520 that I use for real time viewing. With the Replay/DTC-100, I record DirecTV HD shows and regular shows. When it's a OTA HDTV show like CSI. I set up the Replay to record the DirecTV CBS channel, then I use the DTC-100's timer to switch to the OTA HDTV CBS channel. The result recorded at high quality is phenominal. It looks as good as any DVD, and it's anamorphic wide-screen.

I'm also waiting on the HD Tivo unit, and I will continue with this setup until it comes out.
I don't quite understand how you are recording HD content? Does the replay TV have component inputs on it?

I have the RCA-DTC 100 and DirecTivo playing on a Mits HD projection. Needless to say I have to put up with blurry images from the tivo. It's not Tivo's fault it's just that on a 55" set SD material is not that great.

To the original poster. I suggest waiting to buy anything until the HDTivo. By that time you can probably buy the HDTivo and Plasma for the same price as the Plasma is today. Prices just keep fallin' you know.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by davelogie
I think I answered my own question: be patient. :) Hopefully the HD Tivo is available early next yr. Forgot to mention I'm locked into DirectTV until about that time anyway.

Any opinions?

Dave
Don't be patient!!!, Buy the HDTV receiver NOW. Having to watch commercials is worth the picture quality. I've been a Tivo owner since Oct 2000. I still use it for back-up and Satellite recordings. You could always get a Hipix, or MyHd, to put in a HTPC to hold you over for an HDTV PVR.

If the HDTivo has everything that's been talked about here, it will be a heck of a machine and I will certainly get it BUT, don't wait.

·
UHD Addict
38,949 Posts
I've been recording OTA HD with my Hipix for 25 months now. I still use my 3 Dtivos, just not as much. I'm glad I didn't wait any longer for HD. I have been enjoyning HD content now for 2 years. It's well worth it. Get the HD equipment. When the HD Tivo comes out get that but waiting for the HD Tivo before you get the other HD equipment makes no sense. There is always going to be something better, just around the corner. You might as well enjoy HD now.

My Home Theater

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Actually, Dish now said their PVR will be out in Nov and I heard they give discounts to existing Direct TV customers or something to that effect.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the feedback.

I realize I watch very little live TV. Football is an exception but I generally don't watch at home (no Browns games in CT). Therefore I need recording. And I want set-it-and-forget-it recording. Nice interface with TV guide and searching. I guess I'm willing to sacrifice display for fucntionality and simplicity.

I'll wait. By the time the HD PVR is ready I may be able to do the 50" if prices drop.

Cheers

·
Registered
530 Posts
dave

Not a bad idea to wait, but when that 50" gets in to your price range, your gonna start to look at the 60" as a possibilty.

It is a disease that all videophiles have is that bigger is better and we want to get the biggest TV we can afford.

Boat owners got the same problem. There is always a guy in the marina with a bigger boat, with more space and features than yours. You always need to upgrade. Its a disease, and there is no cure.

I need help.

Hi, my name is dave and I am a videophile addict .

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I don't think I can go bigger than 50". My new entertainment center is built in the wall. 50" is big enough for the room too.

What I thought I might do is, instead of going bigger, go to thhe HD model rather than the ED. I'm not going over $5k for a TV though. More than that is just ridiculous.

I tend to be more of a $$$$phile which keeps control of any other philes.

Dave

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.