AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this on the construction forum , but not getting much response so I thought I would try here...

I've been wading through all the info here which has led me to a few questions. I'm in the initial stages of planning for a budget home theater for my basement. I've attached a rough sketch of my layout and dimensions and was wondering if you have any suggestions for the theater/bar area. Please keep in mind that this is my first house and I dont plan on living in it for more than 5-6 years. Also, I'm 26 so, I dont have the finances to spend $30-40K on a HT room. I will be doing all of the work myself so that should help keep the cost down. One thing the sketch doesnt show, is that the ceiling is suspended ceiling tiles with a height of 7' The basement was already finished when I bought it so the exteriors walls are cement with drywall covering them. Sorry for the long post, just wanted to get your opinions because everything I've seen on here is amazing. Thanks in advance.

Basement Layout

Pic of existing wall that I'm tearing out to build a screen wall further back

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
More Pics...

Bar Area looking to exterior wall

Exterior Wall looking towards bar area( the bar has to be rotated after drywall)

Screen wall looking out to seating area ( the pieces of wall you can see will be removed)

Seating area looking towards screen wall (the new wall is going where the shop vac is)

staircase that will hold componets

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tried to do a little design with Google Sketchup and this is what I have so far. What do you guys think about the layout? This is my first experience with home theater so all the help you can give is appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
The L-shaped area should work out quite well since people can congregate by the bar and not have a lot of light getting onto the screen.

You might need a curtain or partition to block light in the stairwell and perhaps behind the theater seats as well if other activities will extend in that direction.

Can you do without the suspended ceiling in the theater room since the floor riser for the seats takes away headroom as well?

Video hints: http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/theater.htm

1 - 4 of 4 Posts