AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 201 Posts

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Yea I called Antec about it yesterday. It is so you can turn off your computer with your remote. You have to take the black and white wires from the power switch and route them to your VFD display and there are two pins there to plug it in. Then the red and black wires you are wondering about plug into your mobo where the power switch plugs in. You have you take off the front panel and the plastic cover on the back of the VFD to tuck the black and white wires from the power switch neatly behind it so it does not interfere with the CD tray.

I have made more progress on my project but am having a couple problems. One is with the VFD display. When I first loaded the drivers it came on and was working great. Was scrolling system info and news and all that. I moved it into the living room and hooked it up and started playing some music in Media Center and was showing track, time and all that. At some point it started acting up and scrolling throught stuff really fast and almost acting like it was shorting out. I have gone through all the VFD options and restarted multiple times and it has not changed. Now I just have it set to not turn on. Kind of sucks cause it was cool while it was working. Anyone else gotten their display working properly?

The other is I could never get the third disc of MCE to load. I did the 1>2>1 online updates but it gave me and error when I tried to load three. I went into the info on Media Center and it says I have Media Center Edition 2005. Could it be I already have it with all those updates I did?

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
The third disc of Windows MCE 2005 is rollup 2 which you already have via Windows update if you did optional updates...??

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
ok cool, yes I did.

What about the VFD? Have you had any success with it?

Another note, my RAM is showing 1984 MB instead of 2048 MB. Does this mean my mobo does not like this RAM?

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Cool,

I have the Antec NSK2400 not the Fusion (wish i did, but have not upgraded yet..) So no help on the VFD..

But on the memory issue, what brand of memory, also are you using onboard video with borrowed ram for vram or a real video card??

·
Registered
40 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyV /forum/post/0

ok cool, yes I did.

What about the VFD? Have you had any success with it?

Another note, my RAM is showing 1984 MB instead of 2048 MB. Does this mean my mobo does not like this RAM?

Your motherboard is allocating 64 megs to the onboard video.

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
ahh yes of course! sorry for the noob questions. I think I am in pretty good shape then except for the VFD. Went pretty smooth for my first PC build.

BTW I was able to get my Harmony working with the IR receiver without having an MCE remote if anyone else was wondering about that question I asked earlier in this thread.

Now for all the fine tuning!

·
Registered
7 Posts

Quote:

On a side note the Antec instructions mention a 3-pin connector from the PS that has blue and black wires that supposedly hooks to the mobo and monitors the PS fan speed. I do not see this cable either but they say it's optional so I am not too worried about that.

Im building a fusion v2 also with the same mobo as you. Did you mangage to get to the bottom of this mystery? I cant find this connector either.

Did you make use of the GND and MBPWR single pin connectors in the end?

·
Registered
323 Posts
@TommyV

Thanks for that tip about the black & red wire. Don't know if I want to go through the hassle and take the front panel apart.

I am running another problem with my Mobo I am trying to run the GigaByte trying to get the SATA drives to run in AHCI mode but dicked around sofar for several hours and nothing.

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
chrimbow, post #21 I explained what Antec told me about the two single pin wires on Friday but I forgot to ask about he missing 3 pin connector from the PS. Read below for my update related to the two single pin connectors

Here is my updated progress. It seems the VFD problems I was having was being caused by plugging the wires coming from the power button into the back of the VFD. Somehow this was causing the VFD to short out. Unplugging the red and black wires from the mobo and plugging the white and black wires from the power button back into the mobo fixed that problem with the VFD shorting out but now I was unable to power up and power down with the remote. So I tried unplugging the black and *********** button wires and just leaving them unplugged and plugging the red and black wires from the VFD back into the mobo and viola! Now the VFD and remote power up and down are working perfectly. Only draw back on this configuration is the power button is non functional (no biggie to me) but still lights up.

Don't know why the power button was causing the VFD to short out but I guess I can call Antec on Monday and report the problem.

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Here is a pic of the new HTPC in it's new home!

I don't know if you can tell from the pic but the power button light is REALLY bright. This is probably the next thing I will try to work on with this case. When I had the front panel off it did not look like it would be very easy to change. I may attempt to find some kind of translucent dark blue film I could cut into shape and apply to the front to bring down the brightness. Anyone else have any ideas?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Where exactly does the Power SW bit go?

The M/B PWR and GND go where the PWR SW goes and the PWR SW goes somewhere near the VFD but I dunno where exactly

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Hi mo786, welcome to AVS! The GND and M/B PWR plug into the mobo where you would normally plug the PWR SW header. This enables you to use your remote to power up an down. According to Antec you are suppose to plug the PWR SW header into the back of the VFD on the two open pins there to retain use of the power switch but this caused my VFD to short out so i have left the PWR SW header unplugged. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
4 Posts

Quote:

Hi mo786, welcome to AVS! The GND and M/B PWR plug into the mobo where you would normally plug the PWR SW header. This enables you to use your remote to power up an down. According to Antec you are suppose to plug the PWR SW header into the back of the VFD on the two open pins there to retain use of the power switch but this caused my VFD to short out so i have left the PWR SW header unplugged. Hope this helps!

Thanks - I emailed Antec to see if they have anything else to say

Can;t believe this case is so popular yet there is little info out there on this problem

Do you mean the 2 pins on the back of the VFD (after you open up the small black backplate it has?

I tried that and it worked ok for me (well the pc started anyway) but (i am having other problems with it not posting properly) i couldnt get it to start with the rmeote.

BTW does the VFD and lights come on if the PC has power to it (even when you are not using it? that could get VERY annoying it - i only wnat lights when it has powe ON (not just when its plugged in! could even be a reason to remove the vfd!

·
Registered
231 Posts

Quote:

Here is my updated progress. It seems the VFD problems I was having was being caused by plugging the wires coming from the power button into the back of the VFD. Somehow this was causing the VFD to short out. Unplugging the red and black wires from the mobo and plugging the white and black wires from the power button back into the mobo fixed that problem with the VFD shorting out but now I was unable to power up and power down with the remote. So I tried unplugging the black and *********** button wires and just leaving them unplugged and plugging the red and black wires from the VFD back into the mobo and viola! Now the VFD and remote power up and down are working perfectly. Only draw back on this configuration is the power button is non functional (no biggie to me) but still lights up.

Hi,

Dissapointed to hear this. In v.1 you don't have to mess with front panel and the power button worked wonderfully. You can't shut the system down by remote but you can put it to S3 sleep mode nicely. I guess in this area there's no improvment to justify the price. I love to have remote receiver in the case though.

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by voranand /forum/post/0

Hi,

Dissapointed to hear this. In v.1 you don't have to mess with front panel and the power button worked wonderfully. You can't shut the system down by remote but you can put it to S3 sleep mode nicely. I guess in this area there's no improvment to justify the price. I love to have remote receiver in the case though.

I was under the impression that you do have to mess with the front panel in the V.1 case because it needs a ground wire or the whole system will short out. You actually don't have to mess with the front panel at all with the V.2 if you hook it up like mine is now. Just plug the single end wires coming from the VFD into the mobo and you're done. The only reason to take the front panel off is to route the wires cleanly out of th way from the power button to the VFD but it is still not necessary because there are holes in the back of the VFD plastic case on the V.2(and this was the cause of the VFD shorting so it really is not needed.

The only draw back it seems with the V.2 is the power button wires are shorting out the VFD. I don't even see why I would need the power button when I have a reset button and a remote. My main thing is I wanted the VFD to work and integrated IR receiver which this has both and works great. I will still contact Antec to see if they have a solution but I am still happy with it as is.

·
Registered
4 Posts
my Black V2 VFD didnt have any hoeles at the back of the VFD to put the POWER SW cable into!

Hmm.

If I take off the back of the VFD there are 2 pins on the LEFT hand side that are free but covered slightly anor wire

Does your PW SWITCH header wire right on the edge of the VFD (to the elf tof the entire case)

other than that i see no holes

maybe its different in the uk??

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Yes mine has two square holes in the back of the black plastic cover of the VFD. If yours does not then just unscrew the plastic cover and remove it. The two open pins you see are where the PWR SW plug is suppose to go. Like I said this cause my VFD to short out but give it a try and see if the same thing happens to you. This could be isolated to my case only I don't know.

It would probably be good for others to try this to confirm if it is a problem with all V.2 cases.

21 - 40 of 201 Posts