AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! Many suggested that I seek help and advice in the DIY section, so here I am.

I'm convinced that DIY is the way for me to go. I'm also convinced that sealed is the way to go.

I just tried SVS's 45 day trial of both their PB-1000 and PB-2000, both of which I am complimentary of, but they simply weren't enough. The PB-2000 was sometimes quite impressive, but had noticeable "chuffing" on lower bass scenes.

At max, with the SPL measured about a foot in front of the driver was 120db(corner loaded), and at about 2 meters out at the MLP it was 110db.(corner loaded)

I would like more output than that in a sealed enclosure. Basically, my question is where to start. What drivers would you recommend, what amps, what enclosures.. all of that. I currently only have $800, but I plan on spending more, and I have a very flexible budget to achieve what is in my mind, satisfactory woofage. It would be fantastic to have something for less than $2000 that could be very enjoyable in the meantime, that I could add on to.

Some have recommended in the other forums the UXL-18, and the LMS 5400 Ultra, but they still recommended I look here for either more suggestions, or affirmation that one of those would be a good solution for me.

My room is 10x14x8. (MLP is around 11.5 feet from front wall)

Any help appreciated!

·
Registered
6,337 Posts
Two martycubes with uxl drivers are awesome and would destroy the pb2000. The uxl18 with 2200 watts from inuke amp would slightly best the pb13 ultra. If you have the tools just follow my instructions on post one of martysub flatpacks . In that small room it would be devastating .

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cessna1466u  /t/1522436/starter-diy-sub-suggestions-and-guidance#post_24479596

Is there a box size you are trying to stay with or subwoofer size?

I can fit 30 inches in width on both sides(for duals), and around 26 inches deep. Height isn't an issue.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalugadp  /t/1522436/starter-diy-sub-suggestions-and-guidance#post_24479613

Two martycubes with uxl drivers are awesome and would destroy the pb2000. The uxl18 with 2200 watts from inuke amp would slightly best the pb13 ultra. If you have the tools just follow my instructions on post one of martysub flatpacks . In that small room it would be devastating .

Exactly what I was going to say, or at least close enough. I have a very open area the martycubes are are loud enough to almost take yoru breath away, literally. They are loud and about 1/2 of your budget.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
He wants a sealed setup...

You can get 2 Dayton rss460ho 18s and an inuke6000 for around $900ish I think. I don't remember the amp price off the top of my head but there's a thread here about them. That obviously doesn't include cabinets/wood/paint/etc

There may be other subs in that price range but I haven't been keeping up.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Guys, thanks for the suggestion, but I'm actually looking for sealed.

Any idea what the RSS460HO would play at?

·
Registered
5,785 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Player3  /t/1522436/starter-diy-sub-suggestions-and-guidance#post_24480431

Dayton HO compared to UM-18 if that is what you're looking at.................red HO.........blue UM

·
Registered
1,379 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Player3  /t/1522436/starter-diy-sub-suggestions-and-guidance#post_24480431

We know, I think its just that we are all so in love with the martycube that we want to push it on people. Doesn't hurt to try.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublewing11  /t/1522436/starter-diy-sub-suggestions-and-guidance#post_24480511

Dayton HO compared to UM-18 if that is what you're looking at.................red HO.........blue UM

Well who on earth wouldn't by the UM over the HO! that's significantly higher deeper bass. I see you have four of them eh? Nice setup there.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by cessna1466u  /t/1522436/starter-diy-sub-suggestions-and-guidance#post_24480515

We know, I think its just that we are all so in love with the martycube that we want to push it on people. Doesn't hurt to try.

Well thanks again! I just for some reason seem to prefer the sound of sealed actually. Maybe it's just me, but it seems to have a different sound to the drum kicks and such.

·
Banned
16,231 Posts
Since I'm going to do a build and was thinking perhaps sealed still, will subscribe. I do have room for a full size Marty Sub but haven't but briefly checked out the Marty Cube yet....off to find the thread shortly! It might be a better starter to do two sealed 18" singles instead too. Decisions decisions. Curious, was just looking at the original Marty Sub thread and saw no mention of the UM-18....assume it can be substituted in the Marty series for the HO-18?

·
Registered
1,533 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hmm.. maybe I should be considering the Martycube/Full Marty after all..
I've been checking out the threads, seems quite impressive!

How's port noise/chuffing?

Any reason other than size why one wouldn't go for the Full Marty over the Martycube?

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
No port noise, no chuffing. I don't know the exact difference but maybe Chaluga will chime in soon. He had both and last I heard I think he chucked the full marty out of his balcony or off his deck. So many of them being built right now, maybe you can find someone close that has one and go listen to it.

·
Banned
16,231 Posts
Mid May might work, didn't notice they're not "in stock" (shows 5/22 right now). Was also thinking about two sealed 18's using the HO or SI driver or maybe even a dual opposed monster. Specs on the Marty Sub are pretty impressive, tho....

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
I've thought about swapping my 2 HO dual opposed cabs to 4 Marty's but I've been too busy.

I'd get the UM-18 no question if they were in stock. However, they've already pushed the date out and may again. Who knows...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts