AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few years ago, I decided to build a room in my small basement so that I could have a big screen TV. Got most of the framing done and even some drywall up (but not taped). And then I got busy doing other things and the incomplete basement became sort of a running joke between my very patient wife and myself. So it sat.

Then I got bitten by the front projection bug. And the layout that I had originally built just wouldn't work. No matter what I tried to do to adapt the layout, I just couldn't satisfy myself with the way I had originally built it.

So much to my wife's dismay, tomorrow it all starts to come down.

She thought I was nuts when I first told her what I wanted to do (something that I know a lot of you have dealt with). But when I convinced her that it was the only way that I would be happy she gave her blessing . . . but with a deadline. I want the lower level done so that I can have a projector, a couple of rows of seating and 7 channel surround. She just wants the lower level done.

So we agreed that the goal to finish would be August 6th-the day that The Lord of the Rings is released on DVD.

The room won't be huge but it will work the way I want it to. Because of support beams, HVAC and the need for storage, the theater section will be about 19 ft long and 9'4" wide. I'll be using a 100" 16:9 screen which will take up nearly all the width of the front wall. At my wife's request, I'll either build my speakers into the wall or use in walls so that our new son doesn't mess with them.

So now the pressure's on. I've posted this so that I'll hopefully feel more urgency in getting it done knowing that other members are watching my progress. I've learned a ton watching other's progress (SVonhoff, Minman and many others!) so hopefully this will all go well.

·
Registered
7,655 Posts
Boy does that sound familiar. I have been working on my basement for almost 2 years now. Just never seems to be enought time to get anything serious accomplished. Fortunately, I almost have the 'rest' of the baement done, the theater framed, rough wired, etc.

Good luck and hang in there. It will be worth it in the end.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Of course, I'd probably be better served to be down there working on it rather than up in the office typing!

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Good luck Mattman. I'm sure you'll rise to then challenge and the theater will turn out great!

·
Registered
264 Posts
If its any consolation to you I did the same thing. I started framing and got the whole basement done, then I got in touch with Dennis E. After talking with him the first time I realized that I was going to have to tear all the framing back out and start again. Sound like you are a little further ahead than framing, but it will be worth it in the end. At least that is what you can keep tell yourself. :)

But take it from me it was definitely worth it!

Where abouts do you live in STL?

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
Matt!! You didn't fall off the edge of the earth? Man, I could have sworn....

Sorry, had to do that. I guess you have to set realistic goals and if you are not going to meet them, hire some help so that you can.

Make a drop-dead-finish-date and invite people from distant places to come for the first screening, that will pressure you a little!

Good luck, and make sure you type fast, so you can keep working on your theater, or don't type at all. (We prefer the first suggestion). Make sure you still take pictures of your progress though, it will help you later, when you look back on the project.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What's up guys?

Minman, I live in Wildwood-close to the intersection of 109 and Clayton Rd. I see that you used Theater Shield in your theater. Where is your source? Is it local or did you have to order out of town for it?

·
Registered
264 Posts
Scott if your comment was directed to this Matt, no I haven't fallen off the earth. I've just found the closer we get to summer the less time I have available. And its holding true to course this year. :)

Also since the HT has been mostly finished we've been trying to enjoy it.

Matt, to answer your question I did get it locally. I found a lumber yard that actually ordered it in for me. It wasn't cheap though, $300+ for the roll. But they were the only place I could find. It's called Norrenburns 314-781-3450. Its a small place right off Lansdowne. Seem like the guys name was Jim that I talked with.

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
Minman, no, I was talking to Mattman. I know he was telling us about his progress, then BAM, he was gone. I was wondering where he went!

Wasn't it Mattman that had the cellulose insulation blower for the seating platform?

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nope, not me! I wish I did because I'm trying to figure out what I'll do about my platform. Destruction started today. No turning back now. I just wish that I didn't have so much other crap being stored in the basement right now! I'm moving things from one side to the other just so I can work. Once I start putting up walls I'll start posting pics.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Wow, I'm famous!

Scott, that cellulose insulation came in very dense bales, which the blower actually chews up with arms into a much bigger volume. It would probably be pretty impractical (and very expensive) to fill the stage with that stuff in its native state. However, it does compress extremely easily, and you could definitely fill a space with twice the recommended amount for the volume. You're after the mass, not the heat insulation ability, so that would work out fine.

Looking back, I tried too hard to blow that stuff into the platform evenly. It would have been much easier to just blow it into a big pile in the middle of the volume you're filling, then spend a few minutes raking it even.

Mattman, I've been working on this theater for OVER two years (since the winter of 1999), and I never hear the end of it from my friends. My theater is legendary for its constant state of incompletion, but soon it will be legendary for its eye-popping performance! Muahahahaha! Oh, sorry.

Check out the latest pictures:

http://www.planetb.net/phpix/?mode=v...hrispy/theater

The only thing I semi-permanently screwed up was using a single layer of 1/2" sheetrock. Oh well. Can't win 'em all!

- Chris

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sundays are pretty much the only day I have time to work on the basement so hopefully much will get done tomorrow. My wife spent all of today cleaning out the garage while I was at work so I'd have more room to maneuver and pull stuff from the basement. Not a bad Father's Day surprise!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.