AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To start I’d like to say this forum has been the most helpful resource I’ve found online for my audio and video needs. Almost too good as at this point I’m at information overload :)

Background:

The wife and I have just moved into a new house and would like to setup a music/home theater area in our basement. I’ve created a crude outline of what our basement looks like for reference. The portion of the basement where the entertainment area will go is roughly 5,000 cubic feet (including the 2 open areas in the back). The rough measurement of the main area is about 16X30X8. There is also a small hallway at the bottom of the stairs (against the wall where the TV is located). Turn right and you enter the entertainment area, turn left and you enter a mother-in-law suite area. Not sure how that will influence sound as there is no door I can shut, it’s just an open hallway.

I’m basically starting from scratch. I have an old Yamaha AV which I detail below and a 50 inch TV I will be using. I have an idea of the speakers I like but am having a hard time determining what other components I will need to complete the setup. Most of my music will come from my computer via ripped CD’s. I’m mainly into classic rock/early nineties rock. No Jazz, classical, rap etc..

About 5 years ago I auditioned speakers but due to housing constraints did not pull the trigger. I really liked the Martin Logan (I believe it was Theos w/sub) and the then new ESL. However, I don’t think those will be practical for my purposes. I also liked the Triton 2’s as they were new at the time. From reading here the Ascend brand and Triton 1’s seems like something I might also enjoy. Again, I’m basing this on memory as I haven’t gone out and auditioned in years. The ID brands where shipping is included both ways is also very appealing to me. Once I have equipment narrowed down I plan to audition them in store and hopefully at home.

My preference would be to buy high quality gear so I only have to build this once. I’m not really interested in playing the upgrade game. If that means starting at 2.1 or 3.1 and going from there then that is fine by me. That could also conceivably increase my budget if I spread out my purchases. Ultimately I would like to end up with a 5.1 or 5.2 system. Timeline could extend past the new year as I enjoy researching and figuring out how to get the best deal possible. I refuse to pay at or near retail even if I have funds to do so. Call it a weird quirk of mine :)

Specifics:

Ultimately 5.1 or 5.2 system but could start smaller
Budget 10K – not opposed to used gear
50/50 music/HT (music mostly rock), (movies 60% drama, 40% action/war)
Couch will be 12 – 14 feet from tv
Carpeted floor, ability to add treatment if needed, speaker size shouldn’t be an issue
Bass – I’m not looking to shatter windows but would like to feel it during movies

Already own:
Yamaha RX-V2090 – from searching online seems this may have been mid/high end AV receiver some 20 years ago. Gift from friend, I’ve never used it. I would like to incorporate in the setup if possible since I already own it. If not no big deal. Obviously missing HDMI inputs/outputs
Pioneer Kuro Elite 50 inch – believe it was the last model made – eventually will upgrade to 4K TV but waiting for industry standards to be hammered out – TV will have separate budget

All suggestions and input welcomed!

Attachments

·
Registered
8,553 Posts
Soooo many options, but for a serious kick-ass HT setup checkout

http://www.powersoundaudio.com/

package discounts, speakers, subs...

These speakers are efficient, no need for external amplification. Plus they would leave enough in the budget to get a nice AVR AND a projector and screen. You're going to want something MUCH larger than 50" if you're sitting 12-14' away.

No need to get a bleeding edge projector. You can get a could DLP projector and nice drop down screen for less than $2K.

Check out the PSA speaker and sub forums.

Reactions: sigpig

·
Registered
5,836 Posts
Welcome to AVS :).

You’re right in that the Theos “may” not be practical, since normally if one owns panel speakers, one goes with all panels in a home theater. However, a member here ( @nalthien ) also has the Theos and was able to incorporate them into a very fine 5.2 system. You might want to PM him to get more info, but it takes several posts before you are allowed permission to PM (private message) anyone.

Basements have concrete slabs and usually cinder block walls. This will diminish tactile feel from a subwoofer. That doesn’t mean you can’t get great bass, but it may mean that you may require some tactile feel help via transducers mounted to the chairs/couches. I also have a concrete slab, but I get enough tactile feel for my needs. You’ll have to determine your needs.

Also, because you have a very large space (I think you meant cu. ft. on your drawing) and a fairly wide seating area, I’d be looking at two ported subs with at least 15-inch drivers. The usual suspects are Funk, Hsu, JTR, PSA, Rythmik, Seaton and SVS.

As far as speakers (besides panels), there are too many to count that all have their fans. Ascend Acoustics does indeed make nice speakers. I auditioned their Sierra towers (with ribbon tweeters) and their Sierra 2 bookshelf speakers (again, with ribbon tweeters). But like any speaker, one must audition them to determine if they are right for you.

As far as an AVR, I wouldn’t spend more than 20% of your budget, which leaves more money for speakers and subs. But if the speakers that you want are 4 Ohm, then you may have to rethink that AVR budget.

Reactions: CruelInventions

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The speakers I have I would recommend, (Ushers), however unless you're in California you're pretty much out of luck when it comes to auditioning so I think the link provides some "oh my god" choices.

Enjoy the hunt.

Thanks gajCA. That is actually one of the first articles I came across when starting to research speakers. Unfortunately I'm nowhere near California. I live near Louisville, KY. I think at the moment I'm more hung up on the electronics side of things as opposed to auditioning speakers. So many choices and I don't want to go overboard compared to the speakers I end up with. I'd like to audition the speakers in my basement prior to buying but not sure if my older Yamaha should be what I'm using to audition speakers.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Soooo many options, but for a serious kick-ass HT setup checkout

package discounts, speakers, subs...

These speakers are efficient, no need for external amplification. Plus they would leave enough in the budget to get a nice AVR AND a projector and screen. You're going to want something MUCH larger than 50" if you're sitting 12-14' away.

No need to get a bleeding edge projector. You can get a could DLP projector and nice drop down screen for less than $2K.

Check out the PSA speaker and sub forums.
Thanks Kini62! I 100% agree with you on the TV size. 12 - 14 feet will be roughly where the couch will be located once I purchase a larger tv. I currently have the couch a bit closer due to the smaller screen size. I think the OLED technology may have finally surpassed the Pioneer but I'm going to wait a bit before looking at an upgrade. I've only seen a couple projectors in use for a home theater and wasn't really impressed with either setup however I'm not sure of the equipment they were using. Checking out the PSA website now...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Welcome to AVS :).

You’re right in that the Theos “may” not be practical, since normally if one owns panel speakers, one goes with all panels in a home theater. However, a member here ( @nalthien ) also has the Theos and was able to incorporate them into a very fine 5.2 system. You might want to PM him to get more info, but it takes several posts before you are allowed permission to PM (private message) anyone.

Basements have concrete slabs and usually cinder block walls. This will diminish tactile feel from a subwoofer. That doesn’t mean you can’t get great bass, but it may mean that you may require some tactile feel help via transducers mounted to the chairs/couches. I also have a concrete slab, but I get enough tactile feel for my needs. You’ll have to determine your needs.

Also, because you have a very large space (I think you meant cu. ft. on your drawing) and a fairly wide seating area, I’d be looking at two ported subs with at least 15-inch drivers. The usual suspects are Funk, Hsu, JTR, PSA, Rythmik, Seaton and SVS.

As far as speakers (besides panels), there are too many to count that all have their fans. Ascend Acoustics does indeed make nice speakers. I auditioned their Sierra towers (with ribbon tweeters) and their Sierra 2 bookshelf speakers (again, with ribbon tweeters). But like any speaker, one must audition them to determine if they are right for you.

As far as an AVR, I wouldn’t spend more than 20% of your budget, which leaves more money for speakers and subs. But if the speakers that you want are 4 Ohm, then you may have to rethink that AVR budget.
Thanks for the input, dsrussell. I've never heard of mounting transducers to furniture. I will have to check that out.

Once I have a chance to audition a few speakers I don't think I will have a problem narrowing it down. I would like to demo speakers in my own home but not sure if the Yamaha is up to the task. I don't have much experience in the way of speaker electronics so not sure if I should toss the Yamaha, look at a new AVR, or look at separates. I know it will depend on the speaker I select but a quick google search of the Louisville area didn't turn up much in the way of hi end audio stores other than the typical Best Buys. I will have to dig a bit deeper there.

Any advice you could provide on source material? I've read good things on the Oppo BDP 105 and that seems like a nice starting point. I'm looking to avoid duplicating features on as many of my purchases as possible if I can avoid it.

And yes, the picture should say cubic feet. The Square feet and Office label was placed automatically by the software and I didn't notice it.

Thanks for your time!

·
Registered
5,836 Posts
Thanks for the input, dsrussell. I've never heard of mounting transducers to furniture. I will have to check that out.

Once I have a chance to audition a few speakers I don't think I will have a problem narrowing it down. I would like to demo speakers in my own home but not sure if the Yamaha is up to the task. I don't have much experience in the way of speaker electronics so not sure if I should toss the Yamaha, look at a new AVR, or look at separates. I know it will depend on the speaker I select but a quick google search of the Louisville area didn't turn up much in the way of hi end audio stores other than the typical Best Buys. I will have to dig a bit deeper there.

Any advice you could provide on source material? I've read good things on the Oppo BDP 105 and that seems like a nice starting point. I'm looking to avoid duplicating features on as many of my purchases as possible if I can avoid it.

And yes, the picture should say cubic feet. The Square feet and Office label was placed automatically by the software and I didn't notice it.

Thanks for your time!
While I own two Oppo players, I really wouldn’t call myself a big fan. I think they are certainly good, but priced higher than they are worth. But I’m sure you can get some good feedback here: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/149-blu-ray-players/

Your Yamaha is fine for checking out speakers. It’s probably a lot better made than any current models ;). It just won’t have the necessary features needed for home theater.

Note that the subwoofer companies I suggested are all Internet Direct companies. You purchase directly from them. All will give you an in-home trial period (30 days to 45 days depending upon the company). PSA (most products) and SVS (all products) will pay for shipping to your home and back to their business should you decide not to buy. Hsu and Seaton will require you to pay shipping each way. Not sure about Funk, JTR or Rythmik, so check on their shipping policy. It’s a good idea to take a good look at each site so you can check out their products, their specs, prices, sizes, weights, shipping policies and warranties. Also check on this website as far as tested subwoofers: http://www.data-bass.com/data?page=systems

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Love shopping with other peoples $$$$ :p

This is my recommendation for a 10K budget anyways....

Speakers - http://www.svsound.com/products/ultra-tower-surround-package
Since you said you didnt want to upgrade, go for the ultra's right off...gloss black finish, $3700.

Sub(s) - http://www.svsound.com/products/pb12-plus
Dual would be the way to go, $2650 for both

BD player (you didnt mention you have one) - https://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-103/
Quality player and the last one you should need - $500

Receiver (a Dolby PL receiver wont cut it as you know) - http://www.anthemav.com/products-current/type=av-receiver/model=mrx-720/page=overview
Best room correction is the business IMO, an AVR that has everything you want or need, $2500

Still leaves a few hundred left over for cables, stands, room treatment, etc.

You can go down a model on the receiver and spend more on the subs (PB13 Ultras) but I wouldnt hesitate to go for this system based on experience.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Since your not opposed to used, these will rock your home and are going for a good price, from a respected AVS member @carp. He did say hes wiling to drive a bit

Thanks for the recommendation, Gorilla Killa.

I have prior approval from the wife for free reign on speaker purchases but given these are about a foot taller than her she may be mildly intimidated if these show up in our basement. Come to think of it they are actually taller than me and outweigh me by 50+ pounds so I may be mildly intimidated They remind me of what we had setup in our frat house basement while I was in college.

I've heard of and read reviews of almost all speaker companies I've come across on this forum besides these. Are these primarily for HT use?

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
With a $10K budget, you advise on spending half of it on 2 speakers?:rolleyes:
Lol, your speaker total is $6350, and would be more for the ultras. those I suggested dont need subs with the 15" drivers. I do realize he needs surrounds. Its a great deal that just popped up otherwise I would have remained silent. Actually it may be Im jealous and want to live vicariously through him lol

Pop into the JTR thread in this forum, any questions you have will be answered by well experienced owners including carp. JTR stuff and service is stellar. Yes Im bias as an owner. Click the link and ask away. Ill end by saying SVS makes quality gear as well.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-speakers/1165099-official-jtr-speaker-thread-1173.html

·
Registered
5,033 Posts
A few comments, Cubic Feet and Square Feet don't tell us as much as the actual Dimension of the room.

You said -

16X30X8 ft (I assume Feet)

But your diagram does not match those proportions.

We need the dimensions of the entire open space, and then the dimension of the listening area, assuming the listening area does not take up the entire 30ft.

Next you drawing says "2900 Sq Ft" which implies dimension of 54ft x 54ft which does not match what you said above.

Give us the Dimension of the room the system will be in, then give us the dimension of the listening space.

The speakers you already mentioned are very good. The AV Receiver a bit outdated, and the TV equally a bit outdated. I bought a Sony 32" for just under $700, then later I bought a 42" Vizio for under $700, today I can buy a UHD, though perhaps not the best, for about $700. I saw a standard 42" TV in Walmart for $198.

Next AVR and HD/UHD TVs are evolving all the time, several years ago we didn't have HD BluRay sound, once we had that, we didn't have 3D, once we had that, we didn't have 9 and 11 channels, once we had that, we didn't have ATMOS and similar, today we do.

Years ago Streaming was in its infancy, today it is a ubiquitous standard. A few years ago we didn't have AVR's with Room-EQ, today we have them, and the point I'm getting at is that features are always going up, and prices are always coming down.

Don't struggle along with old equipment, when new equipment is reasonably cheap and full of features. Especially when doing so compromises your ability to integrate new equipment with the old equipment. Composite and Component video are things of the past, each year less and less equipment supports them. In fact, they are working on a new standard to replace HDMI, though we are a few years away from that.

So, if you are going to buy a new system, then buy a new system. There are plenty of affordable UDH/HDR TVs available.

In a 50/50 Music/Movies system, I recommend bigger speakers, that is large bookshelf minimum. You want bookshelf that are easily able to stand on their own as Stereo Speakers. Though in a sufficient room, Floorstanding are a better choice.

Specifically what will suit you will depend on getting more accurate and consistent information of the overall size of the room (L x W x H) and the dimension of the listening area.

Though, in general, speakers with multiple 6.5"(165mm) bass drivers should do a very good job. But in the right room, larger might be possible.

Today, most recommend at least TWO Subwoofers, not for greater impact, though you do get that, but for more uniform coverage in the room.

Then we get down to the nature of the speakers. For example, the Golden Ear Triton have a side firing component which means these speaker can not be blocked on the sides. They need some space around them. In contrast, a multi-driver front ported speakers, need less space to the side and behind. Bass heavy speakers need more space in general. More balanced speakers can generally handle closer placement.

Next, precisely what is included in the $10,000 budget? Just amp and speakers? Or is the TV Included? Is a new BluRay Player included? Do you need other audio gear like a CD Player or a Turntable? We can't determine how to divide up the budget unless we know what the budget includes.

As a general rule, though very flexible, here is how I would divide up the Amp and Speakers.

1x = AV Receiver
2x to 4x = Speakers

Just to illustrate if we assume the entire budget if for AVR and Speakers, it breaks down like this.

$3300 = AVR
$6600 = Speakers

up to about -

$2000 = AVR
$8000 = Speakers

As other equipment is added the numbers drop per component.

An AVR In the $2000 to +$3000 range will get you a very good AV Receiver. And $6000 to $8000 will most certainly get you some impressive speakers.

The OPPO 105D is indeed an impressive BluRay and Universal Disc Player, but as well as BluRay and DVD, it is also very good for spinning CD, SACD, and other Audio Disc. Plus it give you an addition DAC that you can use independently. I think the price is about $1200, but when you consider all you get, that is actually a pretty reasonable price.

That said, for $100 to $150 you can get a very good BluRay Player, enough to satisfy anyone's needs. But, that's not going to include quality Audio only Disc Playback, or more accurately, it is going to provide a very different Audio Playback. But it is 1/10th the cost of the OPPO 105D. My personal choice, assuming I had that kind of money, would definitely be the OPPO 105D though.

There are a couple other brands that are very close to the OPPO 105D, for example, the Cambridge Audio CXU Universal Player -

https://www.cambridgeaudio.com/products/cx/cxu

There is also the OPPO 103D which is still a good Universal Player for about half the price of the 105D -

https://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-103/blu-ray-BDP-103D-Overview.aspx

https://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-105/blu-ray-BDP-105D-Overview.aspx

From your diagram, limited as it is, it looks like you will not have any problem placing speaker unless you go to an excessively giant screen. Something I advise against. Too many people go for the largest possible screen they can squeeze into their place only to discover they've left no room for speakers.

So, after all my rambling, the following information would be helpful toward the goal of helping you -

- What are the Dimensions of the entire open space?

- What are the Dimensions of the listening area? In this case I means the movie watching area, the space surrounded by speakers? (I think you said your typical listening distance would be about 14ft, can you confirm this?)

- What equipment is included in the budget? Once we have everything included in the budget, we can break the budget down by the Equipment List, and give you some starting perspective. For this exercise we can forget about misc like wire and cable, though at some point we will have to deal with that.

Steve/bluewizard

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Lol, your speaker total is $6350, and would be more for the ultras. those I suggested dont need subs with the 15" drivers. I do realize he needs surrounds
Actually the $3700 pricetag is for the Ultras and includes 5 speakers. And $2600 for the subs should get you 100db+ in the 16-18hz range. Those speakers are good for that kind of output at those levels?

Curious tho, what amplification would you need to drive those speakers?

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Actually the $3700 pricetag is for the Ultras and includes 5 speakers. And $2600 for the subs should get you 100db+ in the 16-18hz range. Those speakers are good for that kind of output at those levels?

About a 20W T-amp can drive them to Reference levels and above. The JTR's are VERY sensitive speakers...

·
Registered
3,357 Posts

I wasnt knocking your suggestion, I know its solid. Mine was a lil tongue in cheek and plug for carp. They really are a great deal for the price, that said I havent heard them but people in the JTR thread say they deliver down low, the freq response says they do as well, may not get the last couple hertz like the pbs but sheer output they are crushed, and JTR doesnt make spl just to make noise, he does it very well, an avr is not gonna get it as you can see.:)

Frequency +/-3db
18hz-24khz (15hz at 24db/octive highpass recommended)
Sensitivity*
95db (2.0 volts, free air)
Useable Output **
128db (calculated peak 131 – 3db compression)
Recommended Amplification
up to 2000 watts RMS (program)
Impedance
4 ohm
Dimensions (HxWxD)
72″x17″x22.5″
Weight
215lbs

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
A few comments, Cubic Feet and Square Feet don't tell us as much as the actual Dimension of the room.

You said -

16X30X8 ft (I assume Feet)

But your diagram does not match those proportions.

We need the dimensions of the entire open space, and then the dimension of the listening area, assuming the listening area does not take up the entire 30ft.

Next you drawing says "2900 Sq Ft" which implies dimension of 54ft x 54ft which does not match what you said above.

Give us the Dimension of the room the system will be in, then give us the dimension of the listening space.

The speakers you already mentioned are very good. The AV Receiver a bit outdated, and the TV equally a bit outdated. I bought a Sony 32" for just under $700, then later I bought a 42" Vizio for under $700, today I can buy a UHD, though perhaps not the best, for about $700. I saw a standard 42" TV in Walmart for $198.

Next AVR and HD/UHD TVs are evolving all the time, several years ago we didn't have HD BluRay sound, once we had that, we didn't have 3D, once we had that, we didn't have 9 and 11 channels, once we had that, we didn't have ATMOS and similar, today we do.

Years ago Streaming was in its infancy, today it is a ubiquitous standard. A few years ago we didn't have AVR's with Room-EQ, today we have them, and the point I'm getting at is that features are always going up, and prices are always coming down.

Don't struggle along with old equipment, when new equipment is reasonably cheap and full of features. Especially when doing so compromises your ability to integrate new equipment with the old equipment. Composite and Component video are things of the past, each year less and less equipment supports them. In fact, they are working on a new standard to replace HDMI, though we are a few years away from that.

So, if you are going to buy a new system, then buy a new system. There are plenty of affordable UDH/HDR TVs available.

In a 50/50 Music/Movies system, I recommend bigger speakers, that is large bookshelf minimum. You want bookshelf that are easily able to stand on their own as Stereo Speakers. Though in a sufficient room, Floorstanding are a better choice.

Specifically what will suit you will depend on getting more accurate and consistent information of the overall size of the room (L x W x H) and the dimension of the listening area.

Though, in general, speakers with multiple 6.5"(165mm) bass drivers should do a very good job. But in the right room, larger might be possible.

Today, most recommend at least TWO Subwoofers, not for greater impact, though you do get that, but for more uniform coverage in the room.

Then we get down to the nature of the speakers. For example, the Golden Ear Triton have a side firing component which means these speaker can not be blocked on the sides. They need some space around them. In contrast, a multi-driver front ported speakers, need less space to the side and behind. Bass heavy speakers need more space in general. More balanced speakers can generally handle closer placement.

Next, precisely what is included in the $10,000 budget? Just amp and speakers? Or is the TV Included? Is a new BluRay Player included? Do you need other audio gear like a CD Player or a Turntable? We can't determine how to divide up the budget unless we know what the budget includes.

As a general rule, though very flexible, here is how I would divide up the Amp and Speakers.

1x = AV Receiver
2x to 4x = Speakers

Just to illustrate if we assume the entire budget if for AVR and Speakers, it breaks down like this.

$3300 = AVR
$6600 = Speakers

up to about -

$2000 = AVR
$8000 = Speakers

As other equipment is added the numbers drop per component.

An AVR In the $2000 to +$3000 range will get you a very good AV Receiver. And $6000 to $8000 will most certainly get you some impressive speakers.

The OPPO 105D is indeed an impressive BluRay and Universal Disc Player, but as well as BluRay and DVD, it is also very good for spinning CD, SACD, and other Audio Disc. Plus it give you an addition DAC that you can use independently. I think the price is about $1200, but when you consider all you get, that is actually a pretty reasonable price.

That said, for $100 to $150 you can get a very good BluRay Player, enough to satisfy anyone's needs. But, that's not going to include quality Audio only Disc Playback, or more accurately, it is going to provide a very different Audio Playback. But it is 1/10th the cost of the OPPO 105D. My personal choice, assuming I had that kind of money, would definitely be the OPPO 105D though.

There are a couple other brands that are very close to the OPPO 105D, for example, the Cambridge Audio CXU Universal Player -

https://www.cambridgeaudio.com/products/cx/cxu

There is also the OPPO 103D which is still a good Universal Player for about half the price of the 105D -

https://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-103/blu-ray-BDP-103D-Overview.aspx

https://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-105/blu-ray-BDP-105D-Overview.aspx

From your diagram, limited as it is, it looks like you will not have any problem placing speaker unless you go to an excessively giant screen. Something I advise against. Too many people go for the largest possible screen they can squeeze into their place only to discover they've left no room for speakers.

So, after all my rambling, the following information would be helpful toward the goal of helping you -

- What are the Dimensions of the entire open space?

- What are the Dimensions of the listening area? In this case I means the movie watching area, the space surrounded by speakers? (I think you said your typical listening distance would be about 14ft, can you confirm this?)

- What equipment is included in the budget? Once we have everything included in the budget, we can break the budget down by the Equipment List, and give you some starting perspective. For this exercise we can forget about misc like wire and cable, though at some point we will have to deal with that.

Steve/bluewizard
Hi bluewizard! Thanks for the detailed response. I was in a rush trying to get that diagram put together and looks like I screwed it up. It was more to show the layout and shape of the room. Sorry for the confusion. The main room is LXWXH of 30X16X8 feet. If you look at the bottom right of the diagram the main room opens up to a small nook that is 10X10X8 feet. The couch will be 14ft from the TV so I suppose you could say the listening area is 14X16X8 with a decent sized open area behind the couch.

Your overview of the changing technology was actually more helpful than you probably thought while typing it out. I’ve basically been under a rock for the past 8 years when it comes to audio and video technology so I’m not familiar with most of these new terms yet. I lost all of my digital content due to a hard drive failure years ago. Being an idiot I didn’t have everything backed up to an external hard drive. I had a couple Ipods at the time so I had a lot of my music stored on those but as luck would have it they were both stolen from me, along with many of my cd’s, about two weeks after my hard drive crashed. Being a broke college student at the time I basically said screw it and didn't replace anything. I traveled extensively for work for the next 8 years and never kept up with the changing technology or had time to put my music collection back together. Now with traveling finished I finally have time to start over.

About a year ago I started this process by hand building a new computer to use as a media center. Getting sidetracked again for about a year its complete overkill for the internet surfing its being used for now. I should be able to dedicate this computer as a media center. I don’t recall the specs off hand but learning from my past mistakes I made sure to have plenty of memory and processing power. I built it in such a way that upgrading or adding additional hardware shouldn’t be a problem.

I also don’t think I fully comprehended these ID companies would actually let you order multiple products, keep them for a few weeks, and actually let you return them for full refund if you didn’t like them. I guess when I first read that I was a little skeptical. As far as picking speakers I think this will be the best route for me to take.

So, back to your questions. Originally the 10K budget did not include a new TV but we’ve decided to put the Pioneer upstairs and buy a new TV for downstairs. So as far as the basement is concerned it’s a blank canvas. I need everything. I’m sticking with 10K for now but could possibly be tweaked later if needed since I added the TV requirement. I’ll see where 10K lands me first.

If this helps here are a few things I don’t need:

Excessive features
Dolby ATMOS
3D TV Capability
No more than 5 speakers – multiple subs is fine
No turntable
No in wall/in ceiling speakers
No projector

Answers to your questions:

Total room area is 30X16X8 ft main room with an opening to a smaller 10X10X8 room

Distance from TV to couch will be 14 ft

Equipment needed: All audio and video electronics needed to run a media system – stands, wires, cables etc don’t need to fit within the budget

Eventually I need to rebuild music collection – also outside of budget – open to suggestions on easiest way to do this – I assume high quality digital downloads would be quickest and easiest method

TV - needs to be 4K and I agree with you on the sizing issues so I'm flexible there

·
Registered
4,883 Posts

Those speakers can be driven by a receiver. Each speaker has more bass output than any sub that SVS sells (probably 2-3x's more including the ultra's). They may not be the best fit in this situation though.

I would look at the offerings from PSA and the smaller speakers from JTR. With a big space high efficiency speakers are the way to go.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts