AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be purchasing my first projector in a few months. I will be re-finishing my HT room, so I'll be able to wire correctly, mount the projector correctly, put the screen where it needs to be, etc.

I'm very new to the whole projector arena. What I do know is that I want a DLP projector around the $5,000 (street) price range. There is some flexibility here.

Where do I start? I've read numerous threads here and have to admit it's overwhelming. I'm very familiar with the audio side of the business, but the projector side is very new to me. I currently run a 7.1 system utilizing a Lexicon MC-12 and M&K S-150's all around.

I would be interested in getting a good "starting ground" on what projectors to look at - maybe a list of four or five in my price range - that are the best quality. Also, please recommend an accompanying screen that would suit this projector well.

In my limited knowledge to date, here's what I think I would like (also let me know if I'm missing anything):

-The new "Mustang" DLP chip

-Ability to play both 16:9 and 4:3 ratios

-Relatively quiet

-Ceiling mountable

-EASY TO USE! I am not a huge videophile, but I want a great picture without a lot of tweaking

-Ability to project anywhere from a 6' to 8' image from a distance of around 12-14 feet. Help me here if I'm off base.

That's all I can think of now. As I read recommendations I'll probably think of more questions.

Thanks for any feedback. I've read many posts on this forum, and the knowledge base here is incredible.

Regards.

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Bam-bam,

You have a Lexicon MC-12 and M&K S-150s, and you want a ~$5,000 DLP?

In my opinion, video is every bit as important as the audio, and possibly much more so. In fact, I must admit to not being able to detect subtle nuances of "golden ear" audio equipment, but can look at a picture and tell you instantly what doesn't look right about it.

Just an opinion...but you might want to have the video on par with your audio.

Mark

·
Registered
11,020 Posts
I'm with Mark. Up that budget to at least 10K and do it NOW. Do I need to shame you by using that horribly overused cliche about putting cheap tires on a Ferrari :D.

OK, I'll humor you. Prices are APPROX retail (some may be off by a grand)

5K:

Sanyo PLV-70/Boxlight HD-20

NEC HT-1000

10K - 20K:

Infocus 7200 (10)

Sharp 10000 (10)

Marantz S2 (12)

Seleco 300 (13)

Runco VX-1000c (17)

JVC G-150Cl (17)

JVC SX-21 (10K, but not available until next year)

I suggest you go back through the last couple months of threads. You will find TONS of threads discussing all of these projectors in detail.

·
Wireless member
27,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Hunter
Bam-bam,

You have a Lexicon MC-12 and M&K S-150s, and you want a ~$5,000 DLP?
Like the rest of us, he probably wants a $10k PJ for ~$5k.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.