AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am moving into my new house that finally has a bonus room. The room is 11x15. The way we have it laid out, we are sitting exactly 9.5 feet from the TV. I am looking for a TV roughly 55-65 inches (based on recommended viewing distances I saw). My question is whether to go with DLP, Plasma, or LCD. I have a Samsnung LNT-4069F that is nice but I am going to put it in the living room and am looking for something bigger. I dont want to spend more than about 2500-2800 bucks so Pioneer Kuro is out. Anyone have any ideas? I will mostly be watching movies/TV on this TV and playing Xbox and Wii on other TVs in the house.

·
Registered
5,001 Posts
This easy. Go for a plasma. The Panasonic 58" 58PH10UKA is a wonderful display. This will keep you under budget.

Chris

·
Registered
2,272 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by creemail /forum/post/12895712

This easy. Go for a plasma. The Panasonic 58" 58PH10UKA is a wonderful display. This will keep you under budget.

Chris

Don't believe that set has a HDTV tuner (UKA designation);

rather Panasonic 58PZ700U is probably a better solution ..

plasma is the only option i see in that price range.

edit: Samsung FP-T5884 (also plasma)

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

QUOTE]

Do you guys mean Plasma is the only option because it is the best quality for under that budget? Because it seems there are quite a few DLPs and LCDsfor under 2800 dollars in that size range. It seems both the plasmas listed are a good bit over my budget.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlhesson /forum/post/12895981

Do you guys mean Plasma is the only option because it is the best quality for under that budget? Because it seems there are quite a few DLPs and LCDsfor under 2800 dollars in that size range.

didn't check 'rear-projection' LCDs nor DLPs, but located no LCD flat panels in the size you indicated for the price indicated.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ah ok sorry that is my bad. Maybe I should word it a bit differently.

I am looking for a TV roughly 55-65 inches (based on recommended viewing distances I saw). My question is whether to go with DLP, Plasma, or LCD, I would like to keep the TV under $2800. So best bang for your buck for TV/BluRay/DVD TV for under 2800 between 55-65 inches. I shouldnt have put a lower limit just the upper limit.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlhesson /forum/post/12896059

Ah ok sorry that is my bad. Maybe I should word it a bit differently.

I am looking for a TV roughly 55-65 inches (based on recommended viewing distances I saw). My question is whether to go with DLP, Plasma, or LCD, I would like to keep the TV under $2800. So best bang for your buck for TV/BluRay/DVD TV for under 2800 between 55-65 inches. I shouldnt have put a lower limit just the upper limit.

no, it was my bad cause i didn't go beyond what you had detailed originally.

after a quick check, seems in the 'rear projection' LCD/RPTV area, I personally like the Sony (60A3000); I favor the LCOS (liquid crystal on silicon) concept over the others (DLP, spinning wheel or LCD). JVC (58S998) has the thin-line, which are nice for saving alittle space but run alittle more.

You can check out at : http://www.pricescan.com/electronics/03010300.asp (RPTV)

(or) http://www.pricescan.com/electronics/03010500.asp (for FP LCD/Plasma)

put in parameters you're looking for and price; btw, believe Sony is best bang if you like RPTVs, bulb heat/failure rate .. etc.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlhesson /forum/post/12896278

Do you personally prefer Plasma or LCD or LCOS technology?

whew, that's tough one .. each one seems to have faults, but i'd probably go w/ the Sony LCOS model. You can search the AVSForum since you're a registered member and find out the particulars.

With Plasma, it depends on what you'll be mainly watching .. if solely for movies, it may be better. The only thing that shy's me away is IR (image retention), but many say after a good (150hr) 'burn-in' period, that its not a problem. Again, search the forum on the Panasonic and see what owner's reveal.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Any other opinions on type of TV, (DLP, LCD, Plasma, Other RP?) I have one vote for LCOS. Once again trying to get 55-65 and under $2800.

·
Registered
5,001 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel'son /forum/post/12895898

Don't believe that set has a HDTV tuner (UKA designation);

rather Panasonic 58PZ700U is probably a better solution ..

edit: Samsung FP-T5884 (also plasma)

No tuner built in because most people use their cable provider to provide HD. Also the 58PZ700U and 5884 are over his budget.

Chris

·
Registered
5,001 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlhesson /forum/post/12896923

Any other opinions on type of TV, (DLP, LCD, Plasma, Other RP?) I have one vote for LCOS. Once again trying to get 55-65 and under $2800.

By far go plasma! LCOS/DLP will be obsolete soon.

Chris

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by creemail /forum/post/12896960

By far go plasma! LCOS/DLP will be obsolete soon.

Chris

Why is it that they will be obsolete? I thought they just introduced LED DLP TVs?

·
Registered
2,272 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by creemail /forum/post/12896951

Also the 58PZ700U and 5884 are over his budget.

Chris

online vendors are reasonable (pricescan, streetprices, bizrate .. etc).

of course, you lose abit of leverage if there's a problem vs. B&M.

correction: you're right .. they do go into the 3.2k area.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The only beef I have with the Panasonic 58" 58PH10UKA is that it is not 1080p and the connectivity options are lacking. Maybe thats something I will have to adjust to considering my budget but I would like to cover all my angles. I have seen a 61 inch Samsung 1080p LED DLP TV at best buy in my price range. HL-T6187S. Has much better connectivity options and is 1080p. Of course that is why I asked this question on AVS because the quality may be no where near the Panasonic I just dont know.

·
Registered
5,001 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlhesson /forum/post/12896983

Why is it that they will be obsolete? I thought they just introduced LED DLP TVs?

I was referring to RPTV's and not LCDs that use the technology. RPTVs have poor viewing angles, weak bulb life, and a bulky case. That is reason the downfall of RPTVs will be obsolete, unless there are some changes. Why do you think Sony is no longer making RPTVs? The market is going away from this technology.

Chris

·
Registered
5,001 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlhesson /forum/post/12897099

The only beef I have with the Panasonic 58" 58PH10UKA is that it is not 1080p and the connectivity options are lacking.

Well the next choice would be the Pioneer 5080HD, Samsung T5084, or Panasonic 50PZ700U. Depending on seating position, 1080p does not make a big difference in overall sharpness and detail.

If you don't plan on using a stand, the 58PH10UKA would be my choice. It has two HDMI inputs that is plenty for most people to use. If you don't need an internal tuner this would exceed your expectations.

Chris

·
Registered
2,272 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlhesson /forum/post/12896969

So make that 1 vote for Plasma and one for LCOS. My bad. Thanks creemail.

i like to change my vote to plasma .. chris's got it right.

longevity for RPTV bulb .. ~8k hours, plasma ~60k hours (till half-life); newer plasma's claim ~100k hours. plus, everything he said.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
If I went plasma I would probably go with Pioneer PDP-5080HD. I know I said 1080p but Plasma doesnt seem to be offered in my price range at 1080p. And the Pioneer seems to have better connectivity (plus stand and speakers) over the panny.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts