AVS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've used WMC with great success for many years, but now that it's at the end of its life it is finally time to start fresh with something new. What i am looking for is a bit specific so maybe you guys can help me out. I've been out of the scene for a long time and it was a bear to get WMC all set up the first time, but i am up for the challenge.

All of my movies are ripped or otherwise acquired by me. Everything is neatly organized in folders and subfolders. Everything is packed in mkv, unless it is a straight rip.

I keep everything local and share through windows homegroup. I have no use for any of the "take it anywhere" style streaming as i only watch movies in my house and dont use tablets. I keep everything locally stored, including metadata and art. There are full blown HTPCs in every room of my house so i dont need any kind of streaming. WAF and such are none issues as i am a bachelor and the king of my castle.

A nice clean uncluttered GUI
Able to play mvks
Able to play isos, and dvd "folder_ts" with menus, i am fine with using extenders to powerdvd or tmt
video and audio passthrough
I want to display mediainfo such as codecs, aspect ratio, ect, when selecting a movie
Easily customizable home screen
Able to add multiple folders as one source for example C:/movies1, C:/movies2,
Able to use local art

I played around with kodi a little bit and i am finding it to be a real nightmare, to me it seems clunky and overly complicated but it is possible that i didnt give it enough time. However with so many options out there i wanted to ask before i really dive in. Thanks for looking!

-Mike

·
Registered
719 Posts
I was in the same situation and had to decide what to do. I wanted to take advantage of the free windows 10 upgrade and finally did it on the last day. As I tried installing the package wmc from another forum I was having all kinds of problems so I had to do a clean install of win 10. I decided to try out Kodi and NextPVR and while they have some great functions they just arent quite up to the task of real cable tv. Probably the same as you experienced trying it out. I really wanted to like it and make the switch as I also think WMC is boring and very limited in everything besides live and recorded tv. I wish we could combine the function of live tv of WMC with Kodi to handle everything else. It would be nice to have it all in one.

All said and done I did a clean install of win 10 and WMC set up ok after a few setbacks. So far so good with the exeption of an HDMI handshake issue.

If you need WMC, give it a shot on 8.1 or Win 10.

·
Registered
9,430 Posts
Doesn't windows 8 come with media center as well? It was the last version of windows to do so...
No. It was a paid add in that is no longer offered. Microsoft charged like $10 to get it to cover the various licence fees.

·
Registered
260 Posts
The only requirements noted are for media playback, so the Live TV limitation isn't an issue here. Pretty much any frontend like Kodi will work. It's mostly a matter of testing the various options to find which you prefer.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts