AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have my HT pretty much sorted out but, now I want a dedicated 2 channel set up in another room. It's another 12X16 room with 8 foot ceilings.

I am going to stick with a budget of $7-800 for the source equipment and about $1,500 or so for speakers. Nice, clean sound from low to moderate volume levels is a must. I am not one to ever really "crank it". Vinyl is not in the cards right now but, maybe in the future? CD and SACD would be the prefered source right now.

Any thoughts about what to look for would be greatly appreciated. I have several high end audio shops in the area so listening to suggested items should not be a problem.

Thanks

·
Registered
22,119 Posts

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was thinking more like two towers and no sub. Is there a thought or argument for the two bookshelves and a sub? Looking at the electronics side, I have realized how $800 wont get much. But I started looking at Emotiva. Pre and amp. If not this route, how do 2 channel recievers stack up? I see basic ones for $2-300. Any a little higher that have some umph to them?

Ha! Rammitinski!

·
Registered
22,119 Posts
... "thought or argument for bookshelves + sub"....

yes... that will give you the best results... cross the sierra's at 80... place the sierra's for best soundstage and imaging (listen patiently to music you know over and over and move the speakers until you are happy)... place the subwoofer for best low frequency response (crawl/measure/whatever)... sit back and enjoy...

any "reasonably priced avr" and "reasonably priced disk spinner" will do just fine... the sony bdp players pass sacd over hdmi, so that's not a bad choice... there's other that are inexpensive as well... the sierra's will happily hum along on very little power at your listening levels, especially crossed at 80...

oh, and corner bass traps...

edit: all the above holds true for many other speaker brands and subwoofers... there's many good bookshelf/sub options out there... i picked ones i'm familiar with (i owned the sierras for quite some time, and "people i trust" would recommend the rythmik)...

·
Registered
6,156 Posts
I once asked a guy who's a contributor to a major audio magazine what he would do with $5000. He recommended a 5.1 Paradigm reference system—and a $300 Pioneer receiver!

Now, even I think that's a little extreme, but the point holds: You can't spend too much on speakers, but you can easily spend more than you have to on electronics.

The experiment has been done many times: Put a basic receiver and a high-end amp side by side, adjust the volume(s) so they're playing at precisely the same level, put a cloth over them so you can't see them, and no one can tell which is which.

Now, that doesn't mean you should never buy a high-end amp. (I don't use a mass-market receiver in my 2-channel system.) It just means you don't have to in order to get good sound.

That said, I don't think your initial allocation is unreasonable. I wouldn't go much higher than $800 on amplification; I might go lower. And I'd consider a nice "entry-level" integrated amp as well as the top-of-the-line receivers from Denon, Harman Kardon, Onkyo, and Yamaha. I'm not sure a separate amp and preamp makes sense at your price point.

As for towers vs. 2.1, there are arguments both ways. This being an AV site, you're going to find more 2.1 fans. But towers aren't wrong, and you're the one who has to live with them.

As for speaker choices, it's about what you like, and nothing else. But I would include Paradigm and/or PSB in my auditions as a benchmark. Both make terrific speakers at very reasonable price points.

·
Registered
22,119 Posts
i like that post... and nothing wrong with those speaker recommendations either...

yea, probably more 2.1 fans here... although i'll guess that a few "tower fans" will find their way in...

i suppose i'm biased, because i've always had better luck using a sub than without... even now that i have towers that have pretty decent in-room extension, i still let the subwoofer in on the party...

with his proposed budget, i'm just thinking he'd get more bang for the buck with the monitor+sub option... it's unlikely he's going to nab a pair of towers for $1500 that will have the low frequency response of a well placed sub, but i've been wrong before...

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My thought process on the separates vs the AVR is that I feel I would be paying for stuff I don't need. Mostly all the video stuff. The coolness factor is there as well. Soundwise, after reading a bunch of posts, I see it is very slight between them all.

But, $800 buys a lot of reciever!

And what are your thoughts on those Emotiva speakers?

·
Registered
6,156 Posts

Quote:
My thought process on the separates vs the AVR

I wasn't talking about an AVR. I was talking about a 2-channel receiver. So the only "extra" you're paying for is a tuner. And you're not really paying for it, because 1) it's practically a throw-in, and 2) any extra cost is more than offset by the greater economies of scale enjoyed by the receiver makers.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
HK 3490, Rythmik sub, and era d5's which are half price thus bringing things in at/under budget. The ascends might be a better choice, I haven't heard them.

If you like B&W CM5 you will like era d5.

I prefer 2.1 with bookshelf/monitor style speakers up until around the $3K(includes sub) mark b/c you get higher quality components per $$ and the bass goes where it should. Above $3K(ish) and I generally start seeing some floorstanders that hold greater appeal.

Ron

·
Registered
6,156 Posts

Quote:
with his proposed budget, i'm just thinking he'd get more bang for the buck with the monitor+sub option... it's unlikely he's going to nab a pair of towers for $1500 that will have the low frequency response of a well placed sub

That depends on how much you value bass extension. If it's really important to you, then a sub (or two!) is what you want. If not, a tower solution might work as well or better.

·
Registered
22,119 Posts
^^^

that's fair enough...

·
Registered
1,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsaudio /forum/post/19622015

I was thinking more like two towers and no sub. Is there a thought or argument for the two bookshelves and a sub? Looking at the electronics side, I have realized how $800 wont get much. But I started looking at Emotiva. Pre and amp. If not this route, how do 2 channel recievers stack up? I see basic ones for $2-300. Any a little higher that have some umph to them?

Ha! Rammitinski!

The issue with towers is

1) They tend to use passive 3-way type crossovers which often makes them a difficult load, which in turn means you need more power. and the crossover components used to keep costs managable in this price point often compromise performance.

2) some of the better ones in your price range would still need a sub for that last octave. True full range towers tend to cost a bit more ie salk HT2-TL for example.

To name a few off the top o my head that fit either one or the other criteria above, there's the EMP e55ti (missing an octave of bass), the PSB Image T6 (also missing an octave), the SVS MTS-02 (low impedance load), I think any of those guys would sound great, but......any old 100wpc surround receiver (which i recommend for bass management), some 86+db sensitive 8 ohm bookshelves (that can extend low enough to blend with a sub), and a sub (where you can place in different spots until you get good room interaction) IMO is probably a better idea.

A few other tower speakers i'd consder would be the salk songtower and the NHT Four but again i don't think they'd beat the bookshelves + sub route

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal Velocity /forum/post/19623136

The issue with towers is

1) They tend to use passive 3-way type crossovers which often makes them a difficult load, which in turn means you need more power. and the crossover components used to keep costs managable in this price point often compromise performance.

2) some of the better ones in your price range would still need a sub for that last octave. True full range towers tend to cost a bit more ie salk HT2-TL for example.

To name a few off the top o my head that fit either one or the other criteria above, there's the EMP e55ti (missing an octave of bass), the PSB Image T6 (also missing an octave), the SVS MTS-02 (low impedance load), I think any of those guys would sound great, but......any old 100wpc surround receiver (which i recommend for bass management), some 86+db sensitive 8 ohm bookshelves (that can extend low enough to blend with a sub), and a sub (where you can place in different spots until you get good room interaction) IMO is probably a better idea.

A few other tower speakers i'd consder would be the salk songtower and the NHT Four but again i don't think they'd beat the bookshelves + sub route

By the "last octave", do you mean from 20 to 40 Hz? Looking at a lot of towers in my price range, not many dip below 40 Hz. If they do, it's like 36 or 38 Hz. Like you have stated with your choices.

·
Registered
6,156 Posts

Quote:
By the "last octave", do you mean from 20 to 40 Hz? Looking at a lot of towers in my price range, not many dip below 40 Hz. If they do, it's like 36 or 38 Hz.

That's true. Most towers really aren't big enough to deliver that bottom octave with any fidelity. That's what you sacrifice by going with towers. What you gain is fewer boxes and better integration of bass and treble.

Opinions/tastes vary, obviously. I suggest you listen to both types of systems and decide what's important to you.

Quote:
One other thing I have noticed. SACDs with 5.1. Is the effect worth the expense?

It is if you have the money and don't mind the fact that there's not a lot of such recordings out there. But you said you already had a home theater. You can play them there.

·
Registered
970 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsaudio /forum/post/19624010

One other thing I have noticed. SACDs with 5.1. Is the effect worth the expense?

Depends what type of sound you like. If digitally processed artificial ambience is what you're after, 5.1 SACD will do the trick. If somewhat faithful recreation of the original event is paramount, you'll be more apt to prefer dedicated two channel. As for the basic receiver, high end amp, no one can tell the difference hokum, well if you believed that you probably wouldn't be here looking to set up a dedicated two channel rig in a separate room, would you?

And remember the used market can be a real treasure trove. Audiogon can be your friend.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts