AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After having problems with my Direct TV service and receiving absolutely no help from them after 6 calls, I have decided to take matters into my own hands.

I have Fairfax antenna coming out tomorrow to install a new elliptical dish for me. I already have a 36XBR400.

Next will come the HDTV tuner and a OTA antenna.

I have been reading some disturbing things and was looking for opinions. HDTV hardware seems limited at this point. Is this because of new product lines? I read that Sony and Mitsubishi will not release any new HDTV hardware until the Dish/Directv merger is settled. I have seen a new Hughes box and a new Samsung box, any opinions?

Should I wait until the fall to see what happens with Sony? Any recommendations for an OTA antenna, Fairfax Antenna recommended a Weingard 9067?

Thanks all, lots of good info here!

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Success!

Matt did an excellent job with the new dish.

I am going to be calling them back when it comes time for the OTA antenna (Weingard 9065).

Now to wait and see what happens with the merger and new HDTV receivers.

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
Brian: I know you'll get some Hughes-bashers/Sony-lovers to give you an opposite opinion but here goes. I have both the Hughes HIRD-E86 and the RCA DTC-100. I've tried the Sony SATHD-100. The Hughes is by far, in my opinion, the best of these 3. It's way easier to operate, has more consumer-friendly features, has as good a resolution as the other 2, and is competitive $$$-wise. I wouldn't worry about the merger as DIRECTV has stated on its website that it would replace any HD receivers already out here if there is a compatibility problem.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks!

I have seen the Hughes at Best Buy for $499.00

Given the amount of programming that is on I may wait until the fall just to see what else shows up. I still need to do the OTA antenna and the SAT C upgrade as well but at least I have made a start.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, step 2 complete. I am awaiting delivery of the SAT C kit from Direct TV.

Now to start research on OTA antennas and await new receivers!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.