AVS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First post, hopefully not the last.

Well i guess i'll get all the specs out of the way.

Currently have a Onkyo 606 and a Panasonic 42" plasma in my room(14'x13')

I have 2 Polk monitor 50's i picked up cheap as a filler until i started "really" building my system. The 50's will eventually just turn into my rears.and a 10" polk sub.

My onkyo is hooked up to my computer which has blu-ray(only for HD video, can't do HD sound yet). I'd say i use my receiver for 90% movies and TV and 10% other.

Anyway. I'm looking at starting this HT build with a center speaker and work off that. I'm willing to consider most speakers in the $400ish or under range. I hear the main thing to do is keep the front 3 speakers all the same type(driver/size/brand...)

I'm going to be superficial about looks even thought it should be about sound but that's just how it's going to be. For this reason i've been leaning towards the Klipsch brand as i am going to have the grills off of any speakers so they seem to look pretty cool.

Anyway. I'm just trying to figure out what i "should" be getting/looking for instead of just basing it off looks which is basically all i've done up till now. I know everyone is going to say it's personal preference and i should just listen to each type but the selection in town is limited so i'll most likely be making my pick off the internet. But i'm not a huge audiophile yet so i'm sure anything i get will sound awesome to me.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
You might have to wait till Monday, but I can assure you help is on the way. It might not be what you were expecting though.

Good Luck.

·
Premium Member
14,063 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PUNISHER VETTE /forum/post/16962984

First post, hopefully not the last.

I hope it's not your last either. I'm going to be a bit tough in my ensuing questions, so beware...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PUNISHER VETTE /forum/post/16962984

Well i guess i'll get all the specs out of the way.

Currently have a Onkyo 606 and a Panasonic 42" plasma in my room(14'x13')

I have 2 Polk monitor 50's i picked up cheap as a filler until i started "really" building my system. The 50's will eventually just turn into my rears.and a 10" polk sub.

My onkyo is hooked up to my computer which has blu-ray(only for HD video, can't do HD sound yet). I'd say i use my receiver for 90% movies and TV and 10% other.

Anyway. I'm looking at starting this HT build with a center speaker and work off that. I'm willing to consider most speakers in the $400ish or under range. I hear the main thing to do is keep the front 3 speakers all the same type(driver/size/brand...)

I'm going to be superficial about looks even thought it should be about sound but that's just how it's going to be. For this reason i've been leaning towards the Klipsch brand as i am going to have the grills off of any speakers so they seem to look pretty cool.

Anyway. I'm just trying to figure out what i "should" be getting/looking for instead of just basing it off looks which is basically all i've done up till now. I know everyone is going to say it's personal preference and i should just listen to each type but the selection in town is limited so i'll most likely be making my pick off the internet. But i'm not a huge audiophile yet so i'm sure anything i get will sound awesome to me.
"...until i started "really" building my system."

"I'm going to be superficial about looks even thought it should be about sound but that's just how it's going to be."

You've come to an A/V "Science" forum, you want to "build" an audio system... and all you really want is advice about decorating? I mean, seriously, it sounds like it's more important to you how your speakers *look* than how they *sound*. If looks are all that's important to you, then just peruse the web and buy whatever looks the best, (to *you*). Oh, and here's an AVS thread totally related to speaker "aesthetics":
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...7#post16925877

Different price point than yours, but you may be able to get some ideas.

OTOH, if *sound* is important to you, then we can help.

Have you listened to the Klipsch speakers in the ~$400 price point? If so, which ones? Do you like how they sound? Some people really like the lower-end Klipsch speakers... other people; not so much.

Here is a good comprehensive review of a bunch of speakers at your pricepoint:
http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/s...-shootout-2009

I don't know if any of them *look* good enough for you, but the sound quality was all they judged.

Bottom line, we can help if you're looking to optimize sound quality in a small, inexpensive package. OTOH, if all you're looking for in a speaker is good looks, you've come to the wrong forum.

Craig

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looks are definitely something people should consider, seeing as how the speaker will be sitting in eye sight day in and day out. Why buy something that is butt ugly that you have to look at all the time but only use once every other day or so?

Now saying that there are tons of speakers that i like the looks of, but then there are tons that i hate the look of. Different colored faces compared to the boxes they're built from.... Poor speaker and port hole layouts.... weird bodies..... BUT for simplicity sake just assume any/every speaker i like the looks of then when it comes down to it I can make that decision myself as it's definitely a personal preference.

I went to two stores that are in my town, one had Klipsch's, only the RC-62 and the new model WC-24? The other store actually had Paradigm, the mid model of the monitor series. I didn't listen to any of them yet as i'm still learning and researching what exactly i should be looking for first. Other then those 2 stores i'm out of local things i can actually test. And as i stated above that's why i asked the question here because i'll most likely have to buy the speakers without hearing them as i'll have to travel to a major city in order to do so which probably isn't going to happen.

So i gave my current setup(receiver) in hopes that someone with lots of knowledge can guide me to speakers that will go well together and might be something someone like me, who watches a lot of movies, might enjoy.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So is $350 a good deal on a RC-62? That's the one they have locally so i avoid shipping but will have to deal with tax.

Also it's in cherry so what are my options for staining it back to black? If it was just a simple thing like applying new stain then i might consider it but if i had to sand a $350 speaker then i might get worried.

I still don't like Paradigm and B&W in the fact they don't sell their own stuff. Making it difficult to find dealers and pay huge shipping...plus there are quite a few people who have Klipsch making it slightly better odds to find good used deals on craigslist...

·
Registered
43 Posts
RC-62(s) also come in Black. Your local dealer should be able to get you the black ones if that is what you want. Also don't understand why you have not listened to what you have locally yet
You might want to start listening and reading reviews of what is available in your price range. I am sure there will be more than one choice that looks nice

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
First I would like make a quick comment on the aesthetics vs. sound in regards to posting on AVS. Most people who use this forum are here to get the absolute best sound possible that they can out of every last penny of their budget and consider looks as the last determining factor (unless the wife is involved, in which case looks come second and not last). We are just very passionate about sound and cannot imagine buying speakers for any reason other then getting the best sound.

Now on the the important stuff. It is very important for your LCR's to match and be designed to work well with each other. Now before I can make any good recommendations I need some clarification if you would not mind OP.

First is your total budget for LCR in the 400 range or is that what you are willing to spend for you each? What are the dimensions of your room? Do you share walls with neighbors?

Are you looking for floor standing speakers for fronts, or do you prefer bookshelf speakers? or do you want small and nearly invisible speakers?

What are you looking for as far as aesthetics go? Do you want wood grain, modern look, classic box speaker look?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by raistline /forum/post/16976485

First I would like make a quick comment on the aesthetics vs. sound in regards to posting on AVS. Most people who use this forum are here to get the absolute best sound possible that they can out of every last penny of their budget and consider looks as the last determining factor (unless the wife is involved, in which case looks come second and not last). We are just very passionate about sound and cannot imagine buying speakers for any reason other then getting the best sound.

Now on the the important stuff. It is very important for your LCR's to match and be designed to work well with each other. Now before I can make any good recommendations I need some clarification if you would not mind OP.

First is your total budget for LCR in the 400 range or is that what you are willing to spend for you each? What are the dimensions of your room? Do you share walls with neighbors?

Are you looking for floor standing speakers for fronts, or do you prefer bookshelf speakers? or do you want small and nearly invisible speakers?

What are you looking for as far as aesthetics go? Do you want wood grain, modern look, classic box speaker look?

I'm willing to spend about $400 per speaker. I'd like all floorstanding, i've already got 2 polk monitor 50's i use as fronts now that will be turned into rears for a while.

aesthetics is very differing. I like most designs but just don't know about some brands and models. Which is why i asked for recommendations.

The room is 14x13. I actually made a quick design as to what it looks like to make things easier but the thing is i don't plan on living here much longer so i definitely don't want to plan solely for this room.....more for a general setup i would guess.

the local store probably can order me a black version of the RC-62 but i'm sure they'd charge me a bit more....

i use these for 90% movies and 10% gaming so if you could make general recommendations off that it would be best. I can definitely listen to the paradigm($500 though) and the Klipsch locally to see if i like/can even tell a sound difference....

·
Registered
2,505 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmarkmyers /forum/post/16977561

Tell the store you will want matching fronts in the near future. If they still want to charge you more for a black center then they probably aren't worth doing business with.

Sometimes the manufacturers dump the prices on other colors. Look at the Energy RC-70's right now at Vanns for example. 50% off for the Rosenut and Cherry -- full price for the black version. Same thing for the RC-LCR...

The same thing could happen if the store has in-store speakers that have been sitting for awhile. Of course they are more open to a deal compared to something they will special order

This doesn't mean they are not worth doing business with

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
so you think i can just stain the cherry finished RC-62 black and it'll look okay?

I mean i suppose i could live with the cherry, my fronts now are cherry so it wouldn't look bad. but my future plans are to go with black everything....

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Okay. here are my options.

I have someone on craigslist who is selling their RF-3ii's for $400(haven't decided if that's a good deal or not yet). I can buy those and have them be my fronts and eventually pick up a RC-62 fairly soon.

OR

I can go ahead and order a RC-62 now, in a few months probably pick up either some used speakers that might be for sale then or go ahead and get the RF-62's.

So it's just a matter of how well the older RF-3's work with a RC-62 center....and if they would be better then the RF-62's.

I can also get the RC-3 for $200..... throw that into the mix i guess.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.