AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been an extremly happy and loyal RTV user since Feb of 2000.

I have 3 of them, 2 of which are no longer working. My 1st 2020 died a year ago, a 5040 the HD just failed and a 5504 which is still running just fine.

Back in March I bought a 34" Widescreen HD TV. I know it's not very big but it's perfect for where it is and the price was right.

Connected to that TV are 2 DirecTV receivers, one is HD the other SD.

Connected to those are my 5504 and now dead 5040.

I have decided to switch to the DTV HD Tivo. I'm not really very excited about this but I really want to record Football in HD this year.

I think in the next year tho I will build a MythTV box and replace the Tivo and RTV.

I think MythTV will give me all the fantastic funtionality that DVA has given me over the past few years.

Are others thinking of moving on as well?

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
I'm kind of in the same boat. I have two 5xxx's networked, but one is going to be retired very soon. I'm getting a 6412 from comcast, but still keeping one Replay for the foreseeable future. It's still very useful, especially for things like networking and poopli. Not to mention the excellent navigation and interface that's unmatched by any other PVR.

I'm also leaning towards a HTPC as a replacement for the Replay, but there's still too many problems for me to jump in right now, not to mention the cost of building a dedicated machine.

If only there was an HD machine out there running Replay software...

·
Registered
452 Posts
I tried Myth, and gave it up as too much of an experiment in progress. Heck, the lead developer on the project says essentially "I did Myth for me - if it works for you, fine, but don't expect anything from me."

I'm now using SageTV. It's not perfect, but it's a heck of a lot better overall than anything else I have seen. My 3 Replays are still sitting there, but they aren't doing anything. Time to go to EBay.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I plan on keeping my 5504 in service as long as possible..

It will be my luck that after going to Tivo the new HD RTV's will be announced!

·
Registered
498 Posts
IMHO, at this point NO computer based pvr compares to a replay yet... (and this is coming from a programmer/network analyst) pvr's are supposed to be devices, not do-all computers, and the further they get from that fact the more their usefullness drops.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I do know Linux fairly well enough to use MythTV. I plan on using KnoppMyth which is an all in one CD install that does a great job of keeping the geeky part of linux behind the scenes.

Rkramer, I whole heartedly agree with you. I love my RTV's but since they are not moving forward I have little choice. As I will be keeping at least 1 RTV in service I will be doing alot of comparing RTV with DVA to Tivo and MythTV.

My guess is that MythTV will easily out do Tivo as far as flexibility. But for ease of use and setup as well as stability RTV & DVA will be my favorites.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
My only question is how you can possibly stand using a 5504 without CA when you have a good 5xxx sitting there that you could fix!

Unless of course you're using Wirns.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Is there any functionality in MythTV that would be comparitive to Poopli? That is a big plus on the RTV. If I miss a show I know I can always get it from someone else. I suppose you can always go the ********** route, but I wonder if someone could make a Poopli service for MythTV.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattb5
Is there any functionality in MythTV that would be comparitive to Poopli? That is a big plus on the RTV. If I miss a show I know I can always get it from someone else. I suppose you can always go the ********** route, but I wonder if someone could make a Poopli service for MythTV.
That'd get shut down faster than you can say MPAA.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Add me to the list of long time RTV owners (multiple units) that just got their hands on a DirectTV HR10-250 HD DVR. First time experience with Tivo so I really understand why I like RTV so much. But I just couldn't wait any longer for RTV to come out with an HD DVR. Someday if they (RTV) ever do introduce an HD DVR I might consider buying one.

phil

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by plyons10
My only question is how you can possibly stand using a 5504 without CA when you have a good 5xxx sitting there that you could fix!

Unless of course you're using Wirns.

Lol.. I agree with you, But I've decided not to put anymore effort into RTV for now.

I know I could put the 5504 drive into the 5040, but the 5504 is still under warrenty, so why push it.

I really miss CA, but I set a macro on my remote that does a 3 1/2 minute jump ahead, this works for most commercials.

In the future when time permits I'll put a new drive in the 5040 and put it on a non HD TV in the house.

As for Poopli I think ********** is the way to go, it can be easily setup and you can setup a tracker pretty easily or add it to known trackers. I already use BT alot for shows that I like from overseas so it will be pretty natural.

Not to mention I'm a computer geek big time so I have lots of options. I already started a Tivo thread on my forum at http://geek.fubie.net for tips and tricks.

Soon I'll start on the MythTV research and post it all there as well.

I do know that you can get shows thru BT using RSS feeds and MythTV supports this. I do it now on my XP machine and watch the shows on my modded xbox. It's really slick. So by having a MythTV box I can do away with the RTV, Tivo, and Xbox as well as DVD player. That may reduce my electric bill just a tad! :) It will also cut down on my remote control configurations.

I just need to find the time to build one and tinker with it.

·
Registered
8,143 Posts
I agree if you don't know linux myth isn't easy to configure correctly and tweak. I don't know about knoppmyth, I hope it's simple, but that may just be the "get it running" part, nevermind the rest of it.

I'd bet I have more replayTVs sitting around doing nothing that most people. I think since the HDTV tivo there's been a steady stream of converts. We all hate the interface, yet we love the HDTV recording. Hell, even the HDVR2 is enough to convince some to switch.

You aren't alone, but you may be a bit unique in not using your replayTVs anymore. I still have replayTVs setup and used daily, but for my son and his recordings. =) Nothing like moving DVDs to the replayTV so I can save the wear on the DVD player. Can't do that with a HDVR2 or HR10-250...

Plus the tivo hacking will boost your linux experience and you'll be a happy camper in almost no time. =)

·
Registered
375 Posts
I've got an HTPC set up now with SageTv and 2 Hauppauge PVR-500's (dual tuner model), with a Hauppauge Media MVP in the bedroom running SageMVP (Sage Client for viewing stuff on the Sage Server with tuners).

I mirror everything I'm recording with my 4 ReplayTV's (2 55xx's and a 2xxx and 3xxx).

What keeps me watching the vast majority of my recordings on my Rtv's? What IMHO is the best feature of the Rtv's .... The transport feature, i.e. x-QS/IR to skip/go back x minutes, and more importantly x-Jump to go directly to a certain spot in the recording.

That and using the multiple FF/REW to quickscan a program for a portion you are looking for. I.E. a specific guest on a talk show, etc.

I've never owned a 4xxx or 5000 series so I'm not sure how well CA works, but I'm guessing that it's using he same algorithm that "ShowNav" on the 55xx series does. If that's the case I think I'm much happier with "ShowNav" over CA given the amount of times that it mis-marks the ads. When I see an ad starting I hit the info button to get the time and then hit the "ShowNav" button, then hit info again to see if it's in the ballpark. If it isnt' then I use xx-Jump to get to approximately the right point and then use QS/IR to find the commercial end.

What methods do "CA" users employ when "CA" miss-marks?

SageTV does have 2 Skip's/IR's so I have a 3 minute Skip and 3 minute IR, and also a 30 second skip and 10 second IR (instead of the Rtv's 7) to closely mirror the ones I use most often on my RTV's.

However it does not have any kind of FF/REW (other than the skip/ir's), at least that work on the SageMVP.

I can get by with the dual skip/ir of SageTv but really would miss the xx-Jump feature. I also MUST have multi-speed FF/REW. I don't have time to actually WATCH an hour long talk show just to see a 3 minute segment with 1 guest, I've got 40 hours of other recorded shows to watch!! :D

·
Registered
28 Posts
Yeah, although I've migrated to a HR10-250 I still use my RTV 4000. I'm probably 50 - 50 in use at this point. When they move more channels to HD the usage mix will change but for now I use each equally.

phil

·
Registered
493 Posts
I haven't abandoned my 2020, but I have sorta demoted it to basic lifeline analog cable duty, and rarely watch anything off of it. I have a Dish 522 box for most of my programs now.

Cable and satellite boxes are evolving with great advances (and great glitches), whereas Replay is not and is being left behind. So, this is what happens. It's too bad, because I really think Replay could build a better box than what's out there for cable and satellite.

:(

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
One of the probs with using an HTPC and direcTV is that you cannot get real HD unless your HD DTV Receivers have Firewire.

You can use S-Video or composite, but to get a true digital signal firewire is required.

There is a small company that sells the hughes HD receivers modded with firewire ports for this, but your talking $500 to $600 per receiver.

This is going to get expensive! :eek:

·
Registered
8,143 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fubie
There is a small company that sells the hughes HD receivers modded with firewire ports for this, but your talking $500 to $600 per receiver.

This is going to get expensive! :eek:
Is this 169 or 169Time? I can't remember the name, they use to have a DTC-100 version that cost almost $900 and that was just for the mod! $600 for the receiver + mod sounds like a deal!

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yup, that's them...

·
Registered
164 Posts
played w/a DirecTV-HD pvr @ CompUSA the other day, Sony 32" hd LCD monitor, the digital artifacts on HBO were terrible, much blocking and pixellation; no, the store didn't have the HD channel enabled (very curious) but I presume this thing goes through the hard drive like the Replay does; is the Tivo that much worse than Replay for pq from a DirecTV channel?

Another thought: to make alternatives to DirecTV/Tivo more difficult, can Mr. Murdoch do anything to make Replay / DirecTV "interface" stop working? Just curious.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.