AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy follks. It's my first post here, but I've been lurking unregistered for a while now. I'm finally ready to take the dive and buy some audio.

I'm moving in to a new apartment next month and would like to get a decent budget home theater set up. I've got a 32" Sony Bravia and I'm playing audio through a pair or KRK Rokit 5s right now. I know, it's shameful.

The TV's going to stay for now, but I need audio improvement. I'd like to upgrade to 5.1 in the next six to eight months, but for now I'd like something that'll tide me over and play nice when I can swing the rest of the speakers.

Budget (initial) - $600

Goal - Solid 2.1 sound, upgradable to 5.1

Room - 16' x 22' (the speakers will be against the 22' wall. We'll be sitting about 6' out)

Use - Blu-rays and videogames (PS3 via HDMI and Xbox 360 via component)

The two options I'm toying with are:

L/R - 2x Polk Audio Monitor 50

Receiver - Onkyo 507

Sub - Polk PSW10

or

L/R - 2x Polk Audio Monitor 60

Receiver - Onkyo 507

No sub

Considering the size of the room, would the 50s suffice or would it pay to get the 60s and leave the sub for a few months down the road? Would the room feel lacking without a sub, or do the 60s go deep enough that I wouldn't miss the sound? Should I be considering another setup altogether?

I'm open to any recommendations, but I'd like to avoid going with a sound bar or HTiB. Thanks in advance folks

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
I just don't know if a cheap subwoofer like a Polk PSW10 will be satisfying. I would save more and get atleast a decent subwoofer from eD. Heck, I would even take a chance at a b-stock priced AV123's MFW 15 than own a cheap subwoofer.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.