AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have decided to buy a TT but I'm not sure if I need a premp. I currently use a Parasound 2100 for 2 channel. If I spend $700-$1000 on a TT will the Parasound be adequate? Or do I need a phone preamp. I have a Emo XPA-3 powering my Salks.

Any help would be appreciated. Also looking at a Pro-ject rm 5.1 SE. Any better value less than a grand? Thanks.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I have the exact pair your thinking about - a Parasound 2100 and Pro-ject RM 5.1 SE and they work very well together. I have found no reasons whatsoever to buy a separate phone preamp - the phone section on the 2100 is very capable.

When thinking about buying new, its hard to find a better value than the 5.1 SE when you factor in the carbon fiber tonearm and Sumiko Blue Point No. 2 cartridge it comes equiped with. I can't think of any. Would highly recommend the 5.1 SE - I am extremely happy with mine and the Parasound. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,768 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlbeck /forum/post/20835401

I have decided to buy a TT but I'm not sure if I need a premp. I currently use a Parasound 2100 for 2 channel. If I spend $700-$1000 on a TT will the Parasound be adequate? Or do I need a phone preamp. I have a Emo XPA-3 powering my Salks.

Any help would be appreciated. Also looking at a Pro-ject rm 5.1 SE. Any better value less than a grand? Thanks.

I preferred the SimAudio Moon LP3 outboard phono preamp to the stage in the 2100 (which is pretty new and up for sale folks!), but the 2100 was quite nice in it's own right. I recently upgraded to the Parasound P7, and the phono stage in it is outstanding! Very dynamic, natural, and dimensional.

·
Registered
46 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlbeck /forum/post/0

Also looking at a Pro-ject rm 5.1 SE. Any better value less than a grand? Thanks.

I put a new RM 5.1 SE into my system two weeks ago, running it through the Tube Box II Phono stage to an Integra DHC-80.2, powered by an Outlaw 7700 into Klipsch RF-7 II fronts and a JL Audio Fathom f110 sub. The 'table ROCKS -- I'm listening to "Bad Company" on 180-gram vinyl, and it's dead quiet when it should be and kick-ass when it should be. Blacks are black, the bass is tight, the midrange is fully fleshed out, the sound stage is wide AND deep. On a female vocal with piano -- say, anything by Diana Krall -- the sound is just beautiful.

I thought long and hard about the 5.1 SE, and spent a couple months doing research before pulling the trigger. Its main competitor seems to be the Rega P3-24, but a lot of Rega owners indicate that the P3-24 is very "clinical" and "sterile" in its presentation.

If there's a better value out there for less than a grand, i'm unaware of it. I'm very happy with my choice.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Full 9" cc tone arm and the Sumiko Blue Point No. 2, a cartridge that is a big step up from the Sumiko Oyster in the Expression. The Blue Point 2 has a standalone price if $400.

·
Registered
30 Posts
The Oyster is a pretty poor cart and you would probably end up replacing it.

The RM-5.1 SE is actually the much better deal, not only for the $399 cart but for the superior tonearm which sells for close to $800 on its own.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.