AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody heard anything about Starz planning to start a HD channel? Starz seems to get a good number of major movies. It would be great to have

"Oh Brother Where Art Thou" and others in high def. However, I don't remember hearing anything about Starz doing high def. Seems like it would almost be necessary to stay competitive with HBO and Showtime.

·
Banned
4,999 Posts
The number of HD viewers is miniscule compared to the total number of viewers. I don't think Starz is worried about competition from any HD channel.

I'm not aware of anyone on the forum who is in contact with or who works for Starz. Should any new channel become available in HD, there will be a few zillion threads about it within 5 minutes of the announcement. So you don't have to worry about missing it or asking about a new channel :)

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,616 Posts
I've read various comments attributed to Starz regarding HDTV, all of them saying it was down the road for them.

My guess is that due to them being a leader in DD technology, I would not be surprised to see a Starz HD channel sooner than later.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ken H.--My thoughts, exactly. Starz was the first premium channel to do

DD and seems to want to position itself as THE premium movie package.

HDTV would seem to be a logical progression. Even though the number of people with HD decoders is minuscule, that number will only increase, and without an HDTV presence Starz would be at a disadvantage with

HBO and Showtime.

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by SD4934

Starz was the first premium channel to do DD and seems to want to position itself as THE premium movie package.
It all depends upon what your definition of "THE" is. Given the level of butchering that Starz does, they would likely not be well received right now. Well, by most here anyway. I really have no room in my hard earned theater for time compression, "coming up next" overlays, and (of course) Pan & Scam. AFAIK, HBO is only guilty of one of these, and look at the reception they've received. Not that that will change their mind's...

·
Registered
824 Posts
This is what Starz had to say in Multichannel News on 4/22/2002 :

"Starz will concentrate on subscription video-on-demand this year, said vice president of technology John Beyler.

"It's not that we won't step out and lead with new technologies, but with high-def, it's not a good business yet," said Beyler. "We won't add HDTV as a loss leader."

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
I posted the following in a thread a while back. The bottomline is don't expect HD from Starz anytime in the near future.

Check out the following quote at

http://www.tvinsite.com/multichanne...yid=%industryid

"Starz will concentrate on subscription video-on-demand this year, said vice president of technology John Beyler.

"It's not that we won't step out and lead with new technologies, but with high-def, it's not a good business yet," said Beyler. "We won't add HDTV as a loss leader." "

·
Banned
3,772 Posts
Holey double post, Batman.

You two guys must have been looking over each

other's shoulders... Idential posts.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Man E
I really have no room in my hard earned theater for time compression, ...
I had not noticed this. Is this done frequently? Could you give some examples of these time edited movies on Starz. Thanks.

Jay

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
There was a website that tracked the "likeability" of premium channels based on these, and other, factors. Sadly, I have lost the link. Maybe someone else here knows it? I'll try and dig it up.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by GScott
"It's not that we won't step out and lead with new technologies, but with high-def, it's not a good business yet," said Beyler. "We won't add HDTV as a loss leader." "
That is why HBO & SHO are getting my $ every month.

Carlos

·
AVS Forum Special Member
11,139 Posts
Quote:
Perhaps Starz should take care how they market such programming. If they used 1080i HDTV, from what I've seen so far on cable, chances are Starz movies would be technically excellent. That is, few MPEG-2 artifacts or dropouts.

But I paid $3.95 to watch a movie last week from NYC's TWC, and for the first time on pay-per-view macroblocking developed when motion occurred. Not often, just enough to be noticeable. As TWC multiplexes more and more channels on its lines, such artifacts seem to be appearing more frequently.

Some suggest, because satellite-distribution bandwidth is costly, certain programmers overcompress their signals. Cable companies then create a cascade of artifacts when they decompress/recompress such signals. Users viewing big-dish satellite signals, with only one decompression involved, may say images from these same programmers appear excellent.

On digital cable, ~12 different channels may be sharing a 6-MHz slot. Motion and detail in several of these multiplexed channels may rob bandwidth from other channels needed to prevent motion artifacts. Sound logical? Anyone have experience in this area? -- John

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.