AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been kind of out of the up and up for the last 3 months when I realized that I should wait for the new Sony models to come out this August to buy. I have tried looking at some of the post here and I can't figure out what the state of HDTV is right now. I guess my bottom line question is will it be SAFE (to a certain degree) to buy these new Sony models coming out as far as being able to watch HDTV (including HBO and PPV).

I know I am probably being lazy but I figured there is a lot of people lurking here that has the same questions. Thanks so much.

SCR

·
Registered
271 Posts
The display manufacturers are adding digital video interfaces like DVI to the sets at the behest of the movie studios and TV networks. These interfaces will support robust copy protection which hopefully will encourage them to release more high-value HD content into the consumer realm. A possible side effect is losing full HD bandwidth analog video interfaces in whole or in part, leading to degraded picture or no picture when interfacing to non-conforming equipment.

Is it safe to buy now? This is expensive consumer entertainment we're talking about, a luxury relative to the needs and resources of many on this globe. That doesn't mean you shouldn't buy now, but suggests that any money you spend now ought not compromise your real safety; we are still in early adopter mode and this is playtime for the enthusiast, not blue chip time.

·
Registered
391 Posts
FWIW:

I was in the same boat as you earlier in the year.

However, I decided to go for it, and I have to tell you I've enjoyed having my 47" Panasonic tremendously the past few months. It's awesome to be a leader (in my circle of friends and coworkers) in this cool new technology.

Just this week I went into the service menu of my TV, and recalibrated my set. It now looks even more fantastic. I've been up past 2AM every day this week watching anything I could in HD, and rewatching my old DVDs. I still say "WOW" on a daily basis.

Bottom line: I love my TV. If down the road it isn't useful anymore, so be it. I can still watch anything but certain movies and PPV.

What a previous poster said is very true -- a TV like this is a LUXURY. If you can afford it, buy it, and don't look back.

Just MY opinion.....

·
Registered
391 Posts
FWIW:

I was in the same boat as you earlier in the year.

However, I decided to go for it, and I have to tell you I've enjoyed having my 47" Panasonic tremendously the past few months. It's awesome to be a leader (in my circle of friends and coworkers) in this cool new technology.

Just this week I went into the service menu of my TV, and recalibrated my set. It now looks even more fantastic. I've been up past 2AM every day this week watching anything I could in HD, and rewatching my old DVDs. I still say "WOW" on a daily basis.

Bottom line: I love my TV. If down the road it isn't useful anymore, so be it. I can still watch anything but certain movies and PPV.

What a previous poster said is very true -- a TV like this is a LUXURY. If you can afford it, buy it, and don't look back.

Just MY opinion.....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.