AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering buying an Onkyo 875, as it seems the beat the competition for that price point and way above.

I'm however a little concerned about the heating issue and audio synch issue. I've tried looking through the numerous threads for solutions, but there is so much i figured i might as well start a new thread.

I read that lowering from >6 Ohm to >4 Ohm would drastically reduce the heat, and send less power to the speakers. Is that something safe to do?

For reference, i'm using a Kplisch Quintet II 5.1 speaker set with a Synergy Sub 10 subwoofer. The speakers support 8 Ohms.

I couldn't find much about the audio synch issue. What's the deal with that?

Is it caused by sources connected to the receiver? Is it really a fault with the receiver? Are just people not setting up their receivers properly?

Is worth waiting a little bit for a new generation of receivers? Onkyo or any other brand.

Thanks,

-Laurent

·
Registered
273 Posts
Audio sync is a delay problem with the DSP chips in the Onkyo. It has been stated as such via email from Onkyo and measured by people on this forum. Check the various 805/875,905 threads. No cure so far. Includes 805,875,905.

You should run whatever ohm setting matches your speakers. Make sure you have enough ventilation for the unit.

Bill3508

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The audio sync issue is a big draw back for me, as i'll be doing a lot of gaming (XBox 360 & PS3). I was really attracted by the HQV chip of the 875 though... that sucks. (cable TV).

Which receiver would you recommend then?

Thanks,

-Laurent

·
Registered
273 Posts
Honestly I don't know. I'm waiting to see what they do next year. They fixed the problem with hum on the 605-804 models with new ones but the new tech introduced additional problems as well, audio sync, etc. Maybe next year they will get it right. If not I think I will try something from Denon, 3808ci or 4308ci.

Bill3508

1 - 4 of 4 Posts