AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So what channels are gonna broadcast the State of the Union Address in HD Monday night?

Last year if I remember correctly, ABC, CBS, and NBC did HD, while Fox (OTA) did their broadcast in SD? And of course, Fox News Channel, CNN, and MSNBC were all SD.

So is Fox gonna get its OTA act together this time?

And I'm assuming CNN's broadcast will be HD this year?

My DirecTV channel guide shows only ABC as doing HD for this broadcast. I'm assuming at least some of the other channels will as well, even though they don't list that way in the guide.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Is there really a need for that many channels to cover the State of the Union? Oh, btw in my area MY9 (MyNetwork) is also showing the address..

Who watches these things anymore?

·
Registered
903 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sansri88 /forum/post/12948508

Is there really a need for that many channels to cover the State of the Union? Oh, btw in my area MY9 (MyNetwork) is also showing the address..

Who watches these things anymore?

My thoughts exactly. Talk about overexposure... too many channels broadcasting this thing. And to be honest I don't even watch it.. I will wait for the summary.

·
Registered
234 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kizzo /forum/post/12948721

My thoughts exactly. Talk about overexposure... too many channels broadcasting this thing. And to be honest I don't even watch it.. I will wait for the summary.

With the advent of the cable news networks, the need for so many outlets to cover events like the State of the Onion would be considered unnecessary, EXCEPT for the fact that:

1) All the broadcast networks believe that it is their civic responsibility to cover Constitutionally mandated events such as this;

2) Not all networks cover the entire country, e.g., in North Platte, NE, there is only one local television station, an NBC affiliate. No other networks are available for OTA reception in this area. And, since not everyone has cable or satellite, this event in remote areas of the US may not be seen if carried by only one network or by only cable news channels;

3) What if something tragic happened during the speech, e.g., someone had a heart attack. Would you want to be the only network not to have covered the event live and brought your analysts (and I emphasize the ANAL part of the word) to evaluate the event?

Personally, I would like to see someone, ANYONE, who is President deliver the State of the Onion as originally intended and was delivered up until the time of Andrew Jackson - to be a letter sent that "...from time to time give(s) to the Congress Information of the State of the Union, and recommend(s) to their Consideration such Measures as he shall judge necessary and expedient..." (Article II, Section 3 of the Constitution of the United States). The Constitution does not specify the method of its delivery.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Simandl /forum/post/12948114

So is Fox gonna get its OTA act together this time?

I would tend to doubt it. These types of events are looped through FOX News in NYC before being sent to the affiliates, and FOX News is SD.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Unless they use the FBN-HD control room, I would bet that the State of the Union on FOX Broadcast Net would be SD widescreen like most Fox News events on Fox Broadcast Net are. However, we may see HD coverage on Fox Business in HD...

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
IIRC, last year's broadcast on Fox wasn't even Fox Widescreen.... it was 4x3 with black bars on the sides. Guess I'll watch on CNN this year.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Simandl /forum/post/12951534

IIRC, last year's broadcast on Fox wasn't even Fox Widescreen.... it was 4x3 with black bars on the sides. Guess I'll watch on CNN this year.

Yes it was widescreen.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by owine /forum/post/12951629

Yes it was widescreen.

Depends on the area. I'm not sure, but I think my area started out widescreen but switched to 4:3 because of technical issues.

·
Registered
24 Posts
In terms of the camera shots inside the Capitol Building, correct me if I'm wrong, are all shot with the same HD cameras. The different networks then uses that feed to broadcast in either HD or SD. If they are capable in broadcasting in HD they would and if not it would be in SD. Of course the studio shots for the preview and post analysis depends on the network itself whether or not it would be in HD. (i.e. CNN might do their pre and post analysis in their New York studio which is HD-friendly)

·
Registered
524 Posts
CBS.com marks their coverage as HD but NBC.com does not mark theirs as HD.

·
Registered
2,943 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvsharp /forum/post/12954869

In terms of the camera shots inside the Capitol Building, correct me if I'm wrong, are all shot with the same HD cameras. The different networks then uses that feed to broadcast in either HD or SD. If they are capable in broadcasting in HD they would and if not it would be in SD. Of course the studio shots for the preview and post analysis depends on the network itself whether or not it would be in HD. (i.e. CNN might do their pre and post analysis in their New York studio which is HD-friendly)

News coverage assignments for Presidential appearances are based on a rotating "pool" system, where one network covers the event and gives its coverage to a pool of other broadcasters. Depending on whose turn it is, one network provides the feed, with other networks adding their own "unilateral" cameras for the commentators, etc. If a network decides to produce the feed in HD, they may offer it to other broadcasters. They will also offer an SD version for other broadcasters. I don't know who is the "pool" for this event.

·
Registered
8,273 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevincburns /forum/post/12955129

CBS.com marks their coverage as HD but NBC.com does not mark theirs as HD.

My Comcast guide says HD for NBC. ABC, NBC, and CBS will probably all be in HD. Probably CNN also. Possibly Fox Business. Looks like HDNet is not showing it this year.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Since the majority of cameras for the event will be common, it is an excellent opportunity to look for differences in picture quality among the networks.

In the past, I've seen noticable differences. It's a great way to evaluate their HD processing and delivery systems to your house.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
If I remember correctly, all the networks had issues with the HD feed, and some (all) of the networks went 4:3 SD at least for a brief period during the address. I also believe NBC was the only network that had full HD coverage (including before and after analysis with Brian Williams and Tim Russert), except the portions when everyone was having the issues with HD, and the Democratic response was in 4:3 SD as well.

·
Premium Member
6,261 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimp2244 /forum/post/12956351

If I remember correctly, all the networks had issues with the HD feed, and some (all) of the networks went 4:3 SD at least for a brief period during the address. I also believe NBC was the only network that had full HD coverage (including before and after analysis with Brian Williams and Tim Russert), except the portions when everyone was having the issues with HD, and the Democratic response was in 4:3 SD as well.

The Democratic response was in HD last year.

Here is the link to last year's thread: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=792096

·
Registered
65 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Simandl /forum/post/12948114

So what channels are gonna broadcast the State of the Union Address in HD Monday night?

The speech will be produced by CBS, the pool network, in 1080i HD. It is available to all the nets in HD, and I believe all 5 nets will carry it in HD. The HD will only be the main switched feed.

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
Shooting 16x9 and framing for 4x3, no doubt.

I hope they monitor the full 16x9 frame, lest they find someone picking their nose (or worse) in the edges of the frame. TV directors can often editorialize with shot selection. The "extra" 16x9 area is an area they need to pay attention to.

CNN did not do so during the Democratic debates in South Carolina.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.