AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to finalize main speakers for my home theater/music room. I will be having two subs with 18" Dayton drivers in addition to main speakers for both movies and music.

Current plan is to build statements 2 which will cost around 600 GPB. Alternatively I can also buy a used pair from a decent brand such as KEF, B&W, FOCAL CHORUS, Monitor Audio, ELAC, Klipsch, JBL, etc
for the same money. Which option would be better?

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
Trying to finalize main speakers for my home theater/music room. I will be having two subs with 18" Dayton drivers in addition to main speakers for both movies and music.

Current plan is to build statements 2 which will cost around 600 GPB. Alternatively I can also buy a used pair from a decent brand such as KEF, B&W, FOCAL CHORUS, Monitor Audio, ELAC, Klipsch, JBL, etc
Manusha,

Obviously whatever anyone says is going to be fairly subjective, but you're talking about buying raw components for the same price as a manufactured speaker. I have built the Statements, for a friend, and they're excellent and have the components to build the Statement II's, which I plan to start soon. I had Klipsch RB-75's and MK-S150's and I thought the Statements were superior. Granted those are old speakers to compare and not floor standers. Jim and Curt have come out with a new design, Bordeaux's, which is another option. If it were me, I'd go DIY because I firmly believe you get more bang for your buck and it's fun to brag a little. ;)

How much will these be used for Music vs Movies? There's always DIYSoundGroup and many other options.

·
Registered
371 Posts
DIYers never count labor, marketing, and risks after BOM. If I had to collect the items in the BOM for Statements II and build it, I would sell it at around $5000 USD for a pair. DIY may give more information about the speaker or subwoofer, but it doesn't give you the best bang for the buck.

·
Registered
295 Posts
DIYers never count labor, marketing, and risks after BOM. If I had to collect the items in the BOM for Statements II and build it, I would sell it at around $5000 USD for a pair. DIY may give more information about the speaker or subwoofer, but it doesn't give you the best bang for the buck.
Really depends. Most DIYers are doing it out of love of crafting something to be proud of with their own hands. Any hobby requires time (labor), and many have risks...big risks.
I do see your point however. I'd gladly spend months of weekends to make something for myself, and show off a bit...but I laugh when folks tell me "You could totally sell that" LMAO

Edited after I reallized I used "totally" 3 times in one sentence...YIKES!

·
Registered
1,442 Posts

I think the statements are great. They are what I originally wanted to build as I like the design. However, I think now DIYSoundgroup.com has designs that look quite nice. Also, the fact that there is a complete, easy to assemble flatpack, and the assembled crossover is cheap, makes it easy to assemble, with extremely high performance. IMO, you'd be looking at JTRSpeakers/Seaton(from what I've seen on here) as the way to step up from them.

Since, I just quickly googled and found a flatpack for the statements 2 (Expensive though) it really depends on what you want. I really like the look of the statements, but the performance isn't enough for me SPL wise.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-diy-speakers-subs/2856138-your-thoughts-statement-family-speakers.html

more info on the speaker. It may be enough for you, and the design is GORGEOUS. I wouldn't hesitate to tell people not to build it. Personally, now I lean more towards the performance/large speakers and I'll find a design I like, but if the design you like is the statements..... build it. Now that I know there is a flatpack for them, I won't be surprised if I one day build them just to hear them.

The great thing about DIY is you can make top tier designs at "relatively little" cost. You can do as much of it, or as little of it as possible although you may have to spend more to get around doing certain parts of course. Like buying a flatpack instead of cutting yourself, or buying a crossover instead of learning to assemble, maybe even buying a prefinished cabinet.

But seriously, it really just makes more sense to go a DIY design if you want top tier performance. You're better off buying a good design, paying someone $200 to build it for you, than buying a big box speaker. I'd rather buy an 1899/1299/Titan and pay someone to assemble it, than buy any expensive speaker, if I was being on the extremely lazy side. The return is just too great to pass up.

If you tell me how much you're paying to build the statements (since everyone does it differently of course) gives me a better idea of what big box brands you're comparing to, and your price range. But for the price of Klipsch RF72s (I'll be FAIR and say you're like me and look for a good deal and get them at $1.5k a pair).
You could buy 1099s, flatpacks, assembled crossover, and pay someone to assemble it, and come out cheaper than the RF72s..... I just can't recommend big box speakers that cost a lot when there are even CHEAPER designs that can out compete. It's still time/effort, but I also really value the performance of DIY designs.

Build your favorite design, almost any of the popular ones are extremely high performing. Otherwise, we as the collective internet would bury them in complaints/abuse. Just how the internet goes :(

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
Marketing and selling the Statements for $5000? Are you saying that you'd only intend to go DIY route if you could turnaround and sell them for a profit? If that's the intent, then DIY really isn't for you because that's not what it's about for the majority in the community.

If you don't think someone can build a better quality speaker at the same price point as a commercial speaker, that's fine, I disagree, but no point in arguing. Of course this is a hobby for most of us and we enjoy the process of building speakers. If you don't have the tools or experience in woodworking, then it can be rather costly unless you buy a kit.
@manusha if you have never built speakers and don't have woodworking or soldering skills, then the Statements might be a bit much for your first go. It's a rather complicated build and will take a lot of your free time.

·
Registered
97 Posts
To echo statements by cjsparkey and pgwalsh, the only valid reason to do DIY is if you want to build something to be proud of. It's a lot of work, that is, if you consider it 'work'. It's really satisfying to plan out a build, sweat the details, and pull it off. (especially when it sounds as good as you expected) So, given the energy, skills and tools required, it's very much worth the effort - at least for me.. YMMV

·
Registered
371 Posts
Marketing and selling the Statements for $5000? Are you saying that you'd only intend to go DIY route if you could turnaround and sell them for a profit? If that's the intent, then DIY really isn't for you because that's not what it's about for the majority in the community.

If you don't think someone can build a better quality speaker at the same price point as a commercial speaker, that's fine, I disagree, but no point in arguing. Of course this is a hobby for most of us and we enjoy the process of building speakers. If you don't have the tools or experience in woodworking, then it can be rather costly unless you buy a kit.
You miss my point. The price that seen of the commercial speaker is not just the assembled speaker. The BOM is just the tip of the iceberg. What I'm saying in order to a comparison to DIY and commercial, you have to pretend DIY speakers have to include the same hidden costs that commercial speakers have to include.

I don't bring anybody down in the DIY community like you are doing. I don't tell people that they cant build computers, can't use Linux, can't build loudspeakers, can't build subwoofers.

·
Registered
199 Posts
You miss my point. The price that seen of the commercial speaker is not just the assembled speaker. The BOM is just the tip of the iceberg. What I'm saying in order to a comparison to DIY and commercial, you have to pretend DIY speakers have to include the same hidden costs that commercial speakers have to include.

I don't bring anybody down in the DIY community like you are doing. I don't tell people that they cant build computers, can't use Linux, can't build loudspeakers, can't build subwoofers.
You don't have to though. When doing the price comparison that's kind of the point is diy doesn't have marketing and overhead expenses.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I always wanted to build these my self but only wanted to know if they are as good as good commercial brands. Looks like everyone is convinced they! Thank all for advices.

·
Registered
9,781 Posts
There are many different levels of DIY and individuals often consider only their own level when defining DIY. It can range from a full kit from a single source which only requires minimal assembly to designing your own speaker from scratch including crossover design, buying individual components from various suppliers and crafting cabinetry of finest hardwood in a fully equipped home workshop. In between the two extremes are many different levels. Each is the right or best form of DIY for some but no single definition works for all.

·
Registered
264 Posts

Actually, I think most do count the retailer markup (labor, marketing, etc) besides just the cost of materials when considering DIY. That's why many compare their speakers to ones which cost much more than the parts they've purchased. And I can't see how anyone doesn't consider the extra DIY costs of tools, finishing, time, and the inherent risk of building something. As for "bang for your buck"...well, that is for the individual to decide based upon their own values. For me and my builds, DIY was definitely the best bang for my buck. This includes the money spent on components, materials, finishing, tools, and the enjoyment and pride of building them myself.

Take the OP, manusha. He seems to embody the same thing. Yes, he compared an equivalent value of parts to finished speakers. I realize he wasn't comparing to a more costly product, but I cannot believe he's completely oblivious of the need to purchase tools and the investment of time. He just wants to be reassured he's not spending the same or more for a lesser product. Looks like he got his answer.

Best of luck to you manusha. :D

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
I always wanted to build these my self but only wanted to know if they are as good as good commercial brands. Looks like everyone is convinced they! Thank all for advices.

I have statements minis and they are very good, I’m tempted to build the regular ones. Make sure you have room to pull them out from the wall, they don’t sound nearly as good if they’re too close. To the original question, I don’t think there’s anything retail at that price that compares. The overall cone area and driver complement is very capable, and they have a detailed but also neutral sound that makes pretty much everything sound good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
@manusha

I hope you start a thread with your build; I'll be looking forward to watching your progress. Also Jim Holtz frequents HTGuide (a very small site) and he typically is very supportive during the build process and offers great advice. So you may want to start a thread there as well.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Thanks all for encouraging posts. Yes I will certainly create a build thread for this!
Think of the Statements 2 as a top tier speaker. It's a high end ribbon tweeter DIY design.
Really, be extremely happy you made it to this point and chose that speaker.

Good luck with it! The Statements were the speakers that originally got me so interested in DIY!

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
@manusha, having built three pairs of Statements (two original and one pair of Statement II) along with several other speakers I think the Statements are as good and better than many commercial offerings of the same price or more. Can you buy better commercial speakers than the Statements for more money? Yes. Can you build DIY speakers that perform better than commercial speakers for less money (not including tools and labor)? YES! but as many have said, don't get wrapped up to much in only the price because DIY speakers take time and tools. But they also offer some great bragging rights..... and can leave you mad as heck if you mess up a design.

One thing I will address based on your speaker selection is your listening habits. In your room if you listen to 70% music and 30% movies, then by all means build the Statement II's. If you listen to music every now and then but watch a lot of movies I'd suggest building the original Statements. I've had both in my room and the original were my favorite for movie use. But the Statement II's were amazing for dedicated 2-channel listening. But they did lack a little punch for some movies. that's my opinion.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
@manusha, having built three pairs of Statements (two original and one pair of Statement II) along with several other speakers I think the Statements are as good and better than many commercial offerings of the same price or more. Can you buy better commercial speakers than the Statements for more money? Yes. Can you build DIY speakers that perform better than commercial speakers for less money (not including tools and labor)? YES! but as many have said, don't get wrapped up to much in only the price because DIY speakers take time and tools. But they also offer some great bragging rights..... and can leave you mad as heck if you mess up a design.

One thing I will address based on your speaker selection is your listening habits. In your room if you listen to 70% music and 30% movies, then by all means build the Statement II's. If you listen to music every now and then but watch a lot of movies I'd suggest building the original Statements. I've had both in my room and the original were my favorite for movie use. But the Statement II's were amazing for dedicated 2-channel listening. But they did lack a little punch for some movies. that's my opinion.
I 2nd that last paragraph. I think Jim Holtz gave the same advice. The Statement IIs were his reference music speaker. He also said that the difference of cost to upgrade might not outweigh the gained SQ if you are mostly HT.

I love my Statements

·
Registered
505 Posts
My build was the original statements, but they remain one of the best speakers I've heard. obviously opinions are subjective, but only a very few commercial speakers I have heard / demo'd even come close let alone beat them. my benchmark was a pair of Paradigm sig8 and the statements sounded better.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I built the Statement II and 1099s. I have built a few other designs as well ... I have also owned D2s and ML Electrostatics.

The Statements differ greatly from other speakers due to their open midrange. It is critical to have the room to allow the reflected backwave to redirect forward uninterrupted to get the maximum effect from the speakers. If you can manage this, I will unequivocally say I'd put them up against any speaker. The reason is that they create an environment of sound - not a wall of sound. The spatial effect is quite something to experience.

The 1099s will get louder and I do not like the statements at 95+db. That said, for reference listening and if you have a very well sound controlled room, the Statement IIs are simply incredible speakers.

The Bordeaux is similar but ups the game in the midrange (voice range) department using an Accuton driver.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts