AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few years ago I built a pair of statements and the statements center channel. I'm using them almost exclusively for home theater now and I'm wondering if i'd be better off replacing them with a set of 3 * 1099's. I'm in the process of rebuilding my theater room and looking at the space behind my screen wall where they currently are. The statements sound great and i'm really happy with them but i'm not sure they are optimal for my new setup.

The couple questions I am tossing around are.. Does the transmission line setup of the statements make them unsuitable if I put acoustical treatments on my front wall? I'll be placing everything behind an AT screen now, which wasn't the case before.

Another question would be has anyone had any luck selling DIY builds? I have quite a bit of money in the statements, but i'm not sure if there is a market for that kind of stuff. If I do decide to switch it would be nice to get something back out of them and they are too big to just store.

·
Registered
6,337 Posts
For movies the 1099 would be an upgrade especially if you like it loud. More dynamic . the statements would sell but diy speakers often only get 50% of full price . local sale necessary cuz shipping is a killer.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I built an LCR of Statements which I eventually sold. they sat for a long time for sale, and finally I recouped about 3/4 of the investment in materials. To this day they are one of the only things I truly regret selling.

I'm not sure about the 1099, but I did try the fusion 12 tempest LCR in my system for a while, and directly comparing the 2, the statements had a much sweeter high end, and much more delicate and detailed mid range, where the tempests had more "punch" and much better horizontal dispersion for treble. TBH I found the compression driver a little bit harsh, I wasn't the biggest fan.

With the statements you have to be really careful of positioning and acoustic treatment on the front wall. With the TL open back mids, acoustic treatment will absorb a lot of the rearwave energy and change the presentation.

Reactions: SteveCallas

·
Registered
588 Posts
I built an LCR of Statements which I eventually sold. they sat for a long time for sale, and finally I recouped about 3/4 of the investment in materials. To this day they are one of the only things I truly regret selling.

I'm not sure about the 1099, but I did try the fusion 12 tempest LCR in my system for a while, and directly comparing the 2, the statements had a much sweeter high end, and much more delicate and detailed mid range, where the tempests had more "punch" and much better horizontal dispersion for treble. TBH I found the compression driver a little bit harsh, I wasn't the biggest fan.

With the statements you have to be really careful of positioning and acoustic treatment on the front wall. With the TL open back mids, acoustic treatment will absorb a lot of the rearwave energy and change the presentation.
It's funny because I use the 4pi's and I swapped the DE-250 for the 360 ( same as the Tempest but different horn and crossover) and I find them to be some of the better compression drivers I've heard.
Still, I'm inclined to agree with you about the statements, they are supposed be a really good "music" speaker, never heard them though. They were actually supposed to be my first DIY build.
Seems like high sensitivity might be one of the only things the statements don't have (and tricky placement).

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
I've built Statements and SEOS12/TD12M and all I can say is that they're completely different speakers. I've never heard the 1099's, but I would imagine they wouldn't be too far off from the SEOS speakers I built. For a dedicated theater room with speakers behind a screen I'm going with the SEOS and for a 50/50 music and movies room I'm going with Statements.

I would never sell the Statements. Even though the pair I built were for a friend, I'm still thinking of building a pair for myself.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Such a dilemma... I really like the statements, but they just might not be the best suited for what I'm currently doing. Sounds like the consensus is that i'll regret it later if I sell them :D

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Such a dilemma... I really like the statements, but they just might not be the best suited for what I'm currently doing. Sounds like the consensus is that i'll regret it later if I sell them :D
Take this with a grain of salt...

I have not heard the statements but know the 1099's VERY WELL...I seriously doubt that you'll regret anything going to 1099's as your front stage :D
YES, they are that good! ;)

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
Take this with a grain of salt...

I have not heard the statements but know the 1099's VERY WELL...I seriously doubt that you'll regret anything going to 1099's as your front stage :D
YES, they are that good! ;)
Such a biased opinion from someone that hans't heard both. You're making a huge assumption.

Statements are phenomenal speakers, don't discount just because you have something you like.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
Speaking of assumption...:rolleyes:
your defense of your statment is baseless.

I've built Statements and you have not and I've built and SEOS design as well. So at least I know what an SEOS design sounds like and a very good design at that. You have no idea what Statements sound like. I have only told him not to sell his Statements, that doesn't mean he shouldn't build 1099's, but I think he should listen to an SEOS design before he jumps ship. Compression drivers and ribbon tweeters are completely different and so are these speakers. My wife and friend that I built the Statements for prefer the Statements. I prefer the SEOS/TD12M.

·
Registered
6,337 Posts

I've built Statements and you have not and I've built and SEOS design as well. So at least I know what an SEOS design sounds like and a very good design at that. You have no idea what Statements sound like. I have only told him not to sell his Statements, that doesn't mean he shouldn't build 1099's, but I think he should listen to an SEOS design before he jumps ship. Compression drivers and ribbon tweeters are completely different and so are these speakers. My wife and friend that I built the Statements for prefer the Statements. I prefer the SEOS/TD12M.
I've heard similar speakers to statements. The 1099 is a bit different sound then the other seos being a 3 way. Also tux voices his more aggressive than any other seos designer especially bill.

For movies I much prefer the 1099 and for music they would be very close with a possible slight edge to statements. Why not build 1099 and don't sell statements right away. Then see. If you can't afford it that way I get it.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts

WOW!!! You ok there buddy??? :eek::eek::eek:

You should try listening to a little "Chill" music to bring you back. :confused::confused::confused:

Why so defensive???
Maybe you should re-read what I wrote! :cool:

It's all good ! :kiss:

You love your statements? Good for you then...enjoy!
I love my 1099's. Is this ok with you? :confused::confused:

·
Registered
973 Posts
A few years ago I built a pair of statements and the statements center channel. I'm using them almost exclusively for home theater now and I'm wondering if i'd be better off replacing them with a set of 3 * 1099's. I'm in the process of rebuilding my theater room and looking at the space behind my screen wall where they currently are. The statements sound great and i'm really happy with them but i'm not sure they are optimal for my new setup.

The couple questions I am tossing around are.. Does the transmission line setup of the statements make them unsuitable if I put acoustical treatments on my front wall? I'll be placing everything behind an AT screen now, which wasn't the case before.

Another question would be has anyone had any luck selling DIY builds? I have quite a bit of money in the statements, but i'm not sure if there is a market for that kind of stuff. If I do decide to switch it would be nice to get something back out of them and they are too big to just store.
I would definitely NOT recommend that you sell your Statements as I can almost say with absolute surety that you will regret it. Like others have said, the Statements and 1099's are both completely different speakers in terms of their performance: effeciency, directivity, and overall design goals. I can promise you that the Statements will likely sound better for music. The top end on the Statements has massive detail and clarity, and a very lush mid range. The pro's for the 1099's are that they are more efficient and can produce reference level sound with extremely low distortion, but that is only a factor, again, imho, if you listen loudly. The 1099's have better directivity which will result in great imaging and soundstage.

I can only recommend that you sell your Statement center channel and what ever surrounds you currently have, and keep your Statements to use strictly for music, then build a trio of Fusion 15's or 1099's, or if you are going to be strapped for cash due to only selling your previous center channel, go with the Fusion 10's and you will have the best of both worlds!

·
Registered
290 Posts
I would definitely NOT recommend that you sell your Statements as I can almost say with absolute surety that you will regret it. Like others have said, the Statements and 1099's are both completely different speakers in terms of their performance: effeciency, directivity, and overall design goals. I can promise you that the Statements will likely sound better for music. The top end on the Statements has massive detail and clarity, and a very lush mid range. The pro's for the 1099's are that they are more efficient and can produce reference level sound with extremely low distortion, but that is only a factor, again, imho, if you listen loudly. The 1099's have better directivity which will result in great imaging and soundstage.

I can only recommend that you sell your Statement center channel and what ever surrounds you currently have, and keep your Statements to use strictly for music, then build a trio of Fusion 15's or 1099's, or if you are going to be strapped for cash due to only selling your previous center channel, go with the Fusion 10's and you will have the best of both worlds!
A big +1 to what tip said!! I am running a pair of mini statements as fronts and the statement monitors as rears and I absolutely love them! I currently am in the process of building Frodaddy's big statement CC (plans are on HT Guide) and cant wait to have a full array of statements up and running-thank God I have no neighbors!! The only reason I didn't go with the full size statements is due soley to the size of them.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'm currently dealing with the same dilemma. Thank you for all of the comments posted here, yet I still can't make up my mind between the Statement II and 1099. I can't keep bringing speakers to the living room without my wife noticing them, and if I could only bring one more pair, would 3 Statement II or 3 1099 speakers be better for 50/50 music/movie and most important of all which of the three would survive with my wife :D I don't have much room in the living room so speaker placement will be quite limited. The 1099s are currently out of stock, so maybe that's the sign from above?

·
Registered
307 Posts
I built the Bordeaux. The only speaker that I have heard that compares to them is the B&W 802 D3. Those had the advantage of 30k worth of amps and source equipment and an acoustically treated room.

I play around with fixing up speakers for fun and then selling them. I haven't come across any that when I put the Bordeaux back into the mix, I don't notice a huge improvement. Today I picked up a pair of Klipsch LaScalas, a set of speakers that I have been wanting for many years. In regards to clarity, soundstage and richness, they aren't in the same league.

The Statements are supposed to come close to these. If you haven't seen Jim and Curts newest collaboration, check out the Travelers. They are supposed to be voiced like the Finalist but have a clarity that matches the Bordeaux.

With all of that being said, I haven't heard DIYSG's 1099's. I would expect that they would be pretty good but I can assure that you won't be disappointed with any of jim and curts designs.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts