AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need help solving the following issue...

I have the Creative GigaWorks T40 Series II speakers, and for the last 2 years I've had constant static/crackling sounds coming out of my left (secondary) speaker when powered on. This is regardless of whether or not I have anything plugged into these speakers, so it is definitely an issue with the speakers themselves. This started to occur when the power cable was accidently unplugged from the back of the right (primary) speaker when still powered on. I've noticed that the volume of the static/crackling will go up when I turn down the bass and treble knobs on my speakers, and it will become quieter when I turn them up. The volume knob on my speaker on the other hand does not affect the static/crackling noise whatsoever. I am also speculating that colder room temperatures are causing the static/crackling noise to become louder, as during the winter the static is really loud, and during the summer it is barely audible.
In case you are wondering, this is what I mean by static sound: youtube.com/watch?v=hSGNXY_CEbg

Does anyone here know what the issue could be, and if an audio noob like myself would be able to fix it?

·
Registered
15,425 Posts
The video you link to suggests the noise is constant and at a non-varying level. It is what I would call "hiss" and all amplifiers, whether built into a speaker or external to it, have at least some. It will be easier to notice in a dead quiet room because only then there are no other noises to mask it. I'm thinking you notice it less in the summer because your windows are open so your room is no longer dead quiet.

There is no way for a consumer to fix it short of buying new products with less hiss or turning up other room noises as "maskers" such as a fan.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The video you link to suggests the noise is constant and at a non-varying level. It is what I would call "hiss" and all amplifiers, whether built into a speaker or external to it, have at least some. It will be easier to notice in a dead quiet room because only then there are no other noises to mask it. I'm thinking you notice it less in the summer because your windows are open so your room is no longer dead quiet.

There is no way for a consumer to fix it short of buying new products with less hiss or turning up other room noises as "maskers" such as a fan.
There is no way that all speakers have what I am experiencing, I can hear the hissing from outside my living room when speakers are in opposite corner from the door. It's louder than my desktop with 10 fans and side panels off (db meter says 50db), and it even overpowers most sound that comes out of my speakers when volume is at a comfortable volume for listening to podcasts from a desk (speakers still work). Also my windows are closed all year round, this is not noise masking related and I am 100% sure of that. I should probably add that my speakers never made this noise ever before the power lead was accidently removed. And I will say it again, it was barely audible during summer (practically non existent), but during cold seasons (last winter, and now) it is REALLY LOUD (louder than my windtunnel PC as explained above). To be more specific about the sound, it is constant in the way that it never goes away, the volume of it will gradually ever so slightly change, with occasional louder crackling and popping noises. but overall the sound would be compared to the static snow/white noise sound of an old tv with no signal.

·
Registered
15,425 Posts
If its only one speaker, not both, then the speaker is broken.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts