AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, I hope this is the right place!! :)

I currently have this rug
that I use to hide speaker cables
and a semi long HDMI (15 foot cable). Everything is running fine, but everytime that I stand up my projector is getting static feedback
and loses signal because of it. It won't fix or resolve itself unless I turn it off entirely and boot it back up. It happens with every input device such as PS4, Cable box, etc. Edit: Rug is not the culprit, must be the carpet.

Rebooting will fix it, but I don't want to continuously do this with fear of bricking my device. I own a W1070 Benq.

I need to hide these cables somehow and the only way to currently run them on a budget is on the floor, under the couch and around the corner where the projector is mounted. Ceiling mounting is currently not an option.

Is there a specific rug I should be looking for? Is there a way to negate the static some how currently on the rug I'm using with some sort of sleeve?? Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks everyone! :)

Wafflepanda :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I'd like to add I'm using a KINOKO 5 switch thing and this problem persists with and without the switch. I'm not savy enough how to snake something under a carpet though I'm unsure if this would resolve my problem or if my problem is coming from the fluffy carpet only. Any insight would be much appreciated

·
Registered
17,258 Posts
It may not be static but pressure on the cable when you stand. Remove the carpet and then stand up again and step on the cable. If you can reproduce the problem it may be pressure on the cable that's causing the problem. Is there anyway you can run the cables along the baseboard?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It may not be static but pressure on the cable when you stand. Remove the carpet and then stand up again and step on the cable. If you can reproduce the problem it may be pressure on the cable that's causing the problem. Is there anyway you can run the cables along the baseboard?
Hi thanks for your response. This phenomenon actually happens even if I don't step on the cable. I can be 3 ft away from it and it will occur... so it is a static problem coming from the carpet itself. My cables are not long enough to run around the side of the baseboard, it would require 50 ft. I'm currently using 25 ft and I'm afraid of the longer cable problems that most of them have anything past 30.

·
Premium Member
6,500 Posts
I need to hide these cables somehow and the only way to currently run them on a budget is on the floor, under the couch and around the corner where the projector is mounted. Ceiling mounting is currently not an option.

Is there a specific rug I should be looking for? Is there a way to negate the static some how currently on the rug I'm using with some sort of sleeve?? Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks everyone! :)

Wafflepanda :)
I don't know if this would eliminate your static problem (if that is really the issue) but you should definitely protect your cables from foot traffic. A cable duct like the one in the link below should help. Downside it's only 6 feet long.

http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-...327300&sr=8-10&keywords=cable+organizer+floor

·
Registered
17,258 Posts
Hi thanks for your response. This phenomenon actually happens even if I don't step on the cable. I can be 3 ft away from it and it will occur... so it is a static problem coming from the carpet itself. My cables are not long enough to run around the side of the baseboard, it would require 50 ft. I'm currently using 25 ft and I'm afraid of the longer cable problems that most of them have anything past 30.
25' is the maximum distance that certified passive high speed hdmi cables can be run, technically. You can run longer lengths but you might have to use a thicker gauge cable. It's possible that distance, not static, is the issue. I would try an active cable like a Redmere. They can be run at lengths longer than 25' and still maintain the HDMI 1.4/2.0 hardware specs. If that doesn't work, you can always return the cable. They are also a much thinner cable because they are active (a small chipset in the sink end that draws a little power).

If static is your problem, what about using some kind of anti-static mat on top of the cables but underneath the rug/carpet?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
25' is the maximum distance that certified passive high speed hdmi cables can be run, technically. You can run longer lengths but you might have to use a thicker gauge cable. It's possible that distance, not static, is the issue. I would try an active cable like a Redmere. They can be run at lengths longer than 25' and still maintain the HDMI 1.4/2.0 hardware specs. If that doesn't work, you can always return the cable. They are also a much thinner cable because they are active (a small chipset in the sink end that draws a little power).

If static is your problem, what about using some kind of anti-static mat on top of the cables but underneath the rug/carpet?
I live in an apartment and can't afford to buy anti-static mats for this long of a distance. On a budget :( I checked online and even the small desktop size mats are really expensive so my options are limited. Would Kapton tape work in replacement? I have plenty of that. How about a ghetto route of buying anti static bags and making one long anti static tube thing?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I don't know if this would eliminate your static problem (if that is really the issue) but you should definitely protect your cables from foot traffic. A cable duct like the one in the link below should help. Downside it's only 6 feet long.

http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-...327300&sr=8-10&keywords=cable+organizer+floor
Currently running one of those out of testing curiousity but its one that is supposed to hide cables on the wall. It minimizes the amount of static input but still flickers upon standing 3 ft away (vs shutting off entirely). So, it is suppressing the amount of effect that it originally had, but the problem is still persisting.

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
Is the W1070 not a 'Wireless' Projector?

I've never come across 'static' over a cable caused by carpet/standing up!

Standing up and interfering with a Wireless signal I can believe.

Joe

1 - 9 of 9 Posts