AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I need little help, I set static IP on all 3 pc's and one Setelite box for VOD service, on PC's I used network settings on every network adapter (2 WLAN for laptops, 2 LAN for PC and the setelite.

Everything works fine, the IP's I use : 10.0.0.1-10.0.0.4, the DHCP set to 10.0.0.5-10.0.0.36, Lease set to 1 hour.

Do I need to turn off the DHCP? and what better: set the router according to MAC? or leave it like i set peer network adapter on the pc's? or there no any difference?

·
Registered
563 Posts
i have no clue what you are asking, maybe clean up the message a little...

but in general people set DHCP for some broad range like xxx.xxx.xxx.1-xxx.xxx.xxx.100.

then you set all your static Ip's above that range (xxx.xxx.xxx.101-xxx.xxx.xxx.255)

With the way you did it you boxed yourself in for the # of static ip's

·
Registered
516 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by denis29 /forum/post/19631688

Hello, I need little help, I set static IP on all 3 pc's and one Setelite box for VOD service, on PC's I used network settings on every network adapter (2 WLAN for laptops, 2 LAN for PC and the setelite.

Everything works fine, the IP's I use : 10.0.0.1-10.0.0.4, the DHCP set to 10.0.0.5-10.0.0.36, Lease set to 1 hour.

Do I need to turn off the DHCP? and what better: set the router according to MAC? or leave it like i set peer network adapter on the pc's? or there no any difference?

I'm not 100% sure what you are asking but if you aren't using DHCP, you can turn it off without it causing any problems.

All devices have a MAC address and one thing it can be used for is for filtering in wireless networks. This is when you only allow certain MAC addresses to connect/blocked on your network, this adds extra security but also increasing the initial configuration setup

·
Registered
389 Posts
I'm curious. Is there any particular reason you are using static IPs instead of allowing DHCP to handle the addressing? In the deep, dark past when DHCP could be a bit wonky it wasn't uncommon to assign static IPs. Today it's not an issue though. Is it for security reasons? If so it really doesn't gain you anything.

As far as Mac address filtering, it doesn't provide much of a security benefit and it's more of a waste of time than anything else. Secure your network with strong passwords using WPA/WPA2. If someone is skilled enough to get past the passwords they won't have any problem spoofing a MAC address either.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.