AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I just got a pair of Beolab 8000 (active speakers) that I am using with my computer.
I connected the RCA output of my computer to the speakers RCA inputs and everything is working fine : I can control the volume from my computer and the speakers go into standby when no sound is emitted after a couple of minutes.

However I have a static noise coming from the speakers and they never go into standby when:

• the computer is shut down (very loud noise)
  • I disconnect the RCA output from my computer (loud noise)
  • I disconnect the RCA inputs from the speakers (light noise)

I thought I could use active speakers directly connected to my computer but apparently I am missing something.
Is there a shielding problem or do I need additional device (preout, preamp, DAC...) to make it work ?

Thanks !

·
Registered
7,063 Posts
Hello,

I just got a pair of Beolab 8000 (active speakers) that I am using with my computer.
I connected the RCA output of my computer to the speakers RCA inputs and everything is working fine : I can control the volume from my computer and the speakers go into standby when no sound is emitted after a couple of minutes.

However I have a static noise coming from the speakers and they never go into standby when:

• the computer is shut down (very loud noise)
  • I disconnect the RCA output from my computer (loud noise)
  • I disconnect the RCA inputs from the speakers (light noise)

I thought I could use active speakers directly connected to my computer but apparently I am missing something.
Is there a shielding problem or do I need additional device (preout, preamp, DAC...) to make it work ?

Thanks !

Since they work fine in normal operation, the solution is simple.

Disconnect power from the powered speakers just before the computer shuts down.

Plug the speakers' AC power cord or power supply into some sort of AC power strip that has an on/off switch, and switch it off a few moments before you shut down your computer.

Then switch the speakers' power back on after the computer is fully booted and ready for use.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes that would be the obvious solution (remove the static noise by switching off the speakers).
However perhaps there is a better solution which doesn't involve always switching on/off the speakers ?
In addition they are active speakers and have their separate power plug at different corners of the room, so I have to switch off 2 speakers, not only one ;-)

·
Registered
7,063 Posts
Yes that would be the obvious solution (remove the static noise by switching off the speakers).
However perhaps there is a better solution which doesn't involve always switching on/off the speakers ?
In addition they are active speakers and have their separate power plug at different corners of the room, so I have to switch off 2 speakers, not only one ;-)

The problem is that when the computer is shutting off various large voltage changes on the RCA output jacks are apparently coupled to the speakers.

This IS going to cause a lot of noise when it is received by your speakers, apparently.

I can't see any way to prevent this unless the speakers are powered down.

On the other hand, I do not have any problem at all of this type with my setup, which has a PC connected to a pair of Audioengine 2 speakers.

I leave the speakers on all the time and never have any problems with noise whatsoever at any time.

I DO mute my sound output when shutting down the computer, however. Have you tried that?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had previously a pair of Audioengine A5 and haven't got that problem. So perhaps the problem is not in the computer but in the Beolab 8000 ?
I have tried to mute the sound but that doesn't work either: as I have said, even when the RCA cables are disconnected from the computer, I can hear the loud static noise.

i was thinking about getting a DAC and letting the DAC always on. Perhaps that would do the trick.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts