AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have now had 3 different Sony SAT-HD100 satellite receivers and all have given me static type pops when listening to Direct TV channels (with the exception of HD-NET channel 199) These pops are intermittent and heard any were from a few seconds apart to a few minutes or more apart. They only seem to be coming from the optical digital output. However these pops are not heard when listening to over the air (via UHF antenna) digital channels or channel 199 on DTV. The second unit I had the problem was significantly less than the first and third unit. I would have kept it but it had picture pixilization problems when viewing the favorites menu. The third unit was dated June 2001 so I assume this was a current best production date available.

I then gave up on Sony and moved on to Panasonic's TU-HDS20. This unit does the same thing with the additional problem of static type pops heard when changing channels on Direct TV. Also this unit has a different problem with HD-NET and that is the sound drops out. Not enough to go completely off but ends up sounding intermittently garbled. I'm taking this one back and am going to get one dated in July or later 2001. If the new unit still does the static pop thing, Does anyone know what is causing this problem and what is the fix?

System components

Panasonic HDTV receiver TU-HDS20

Sony 35" HDTV

Sony TIVO

Toshiba 990 S-VHS VCR

Pioneer combo player 910?

Accurus ACT pre/pro

Accurus 125x5 amp

Magnum Dynalab FM tuner

Cables and inter-connects by Straight wire, monster, and radio shack

Frustrated,

Steve Ruddy

·
Registered
483 Posts
It sounds like you are getting drop-outs due to poor signal quality, and the fact that they are confined to material from your satellite dish suggests that you have a problem with your satellite antenna installation. If so, changing tuners is not going to help, because that's not where the problem is. You should check your satellite antenna installation carefully, from dish to input connector.

Les

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Les,

Thank you for the advice. I will definitely check the installation. Can you suggest a procedure for doing this? I'm looking at my signal strength meter in the Panasonic receiver and I'm getting 85-91% depending on satellite and transponder and the system check passed. So I don't know what else to do.

Also can you suggest why the Mitsubishi standard definition Dolby digital(via coax connection) receiver that I was using previous to either the Sony or Panasonic didn't exhibit these type of problems?

Thanks,

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,680 Posts
I don't know that I agree with Les. With DBS systems or other digital audio sources, if you have signal lock, there is no possibility of the kind of audio problem you are describing, unless the source (your DBS receiver) or audio processor is acting up.

What audio are you using from the DBS receivers, digital or analog? You may want to hook up both the analog and digital and switch between the them on the audio receiver, to help diagnose the problem. It sounds like your audio processor has a problem with the digital audio.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
I don't know if I am observing the same phenomenon but when I watched my Phantom Menace DVD I experienced loud pops in the high volume sequences, especially the THX demo. Reducing the volume gets rid of it. (I like to watch it with HIGH volume.) I thought it was unique to this DVD but then when I watched Stargate SG1 last Friday on Showtime (also preferred at a high volume) I heard the pops there also for the first time.

I kind of speculated that the pops were from the 5.1 Dolby Digital DSP getting overwhelmed... but that was just speculation. Does this mean that I need a different receiver?

Any other ideas would be appreciated.

Rick R

·
Registered
739 Posts
I would be suspicious of a power (AC) or antenna grounding problem. This sounds like an EMI problem. I experience similar "pops" when my heating system electrostaic filter kicks in and/or out.

I draw power for my system components through a surge protector. I must admit my dish is not grounded and my coax runs near the heater.

I have learned to "listen around" my pops as they are not occuring that often. Recommend you check for proper power and grounding of your system.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ken,

I have both analog and optical hooked up to the pre/pro and the problem doesn't accur when switching to the analog input so I'm assumming you would suspect the pre/pro?

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Babula,

What does EMI mean? I have the dish grounded at the multi-switch. I used the ground conductor of a romex cable and attached it to the multi switch then ran it to an electrical box in the attic and wire nutted it to the house ground. Is this not the right way to do it? Or should I try disconnecting the ground to see if it makes a difeerence?

Thanks

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,680 Posts
EMI is electro magnetic interference. This could come from other equipment in your system, or from a near by faulty electrical connection. It could cause a problem for an electrical digital audio connection, like a digital coax. Since you're using optical, it's a lot less likely as a problem cause.

So, the analog connection is OK, hmmm. I would try checking the optical cable (can you swap it with another optical cable?), if that's not it, I would guess the processor as the culprit.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ken,

Yes I can buy another cable to try. I will get a 12 footer that way I can also run it to the bed room AV Receiver to see if it does it on that one. I'll let you know what the outcome is.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Now that we know the problem occurs on more than one source, you definitely should investigate the pre/pro as the culprit. You may want to check with Acurus and see if they have other reports of this problem, and suggestions for a fix. Checking the digital interconnect cables (substitute others) would be a good idea.

Is the problem occurring at all volume levels? If not, and only higher volumes evidence the problem, this suggsts the problem might be something entirely different - clipping of the amplifier of bottoming of the speaker woofers or subwoofer. Try turning the volume up, listening, and then down, and see if you can get the problem to consistently appear with higher volume. Then try to figure out if the noise is coming from all speakers or just certain speakers.

Les

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
Les H,

You said that bottoming of the speaker woofers could cause problems. This could be my problem maybe. My problem only happens on high volume sequences of lots of base. Could you describe how this works?

Maybe adjusting my speaker crossovers or amplifier's base response could help if this is the case.

Thanks,

Rick R

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well I purchased a new optical cable today and the problem still exists. However I did run the cable into the bedroom and hooked it up to a new Pioneer A/V Receiver and didn't experience any problems. I have contacted Mondial and am working with the software programmer to see if he can figure it out. So far he seems stumped. In the meantime I'm leaving the Act-3 pre/pro set to Pro-Logic Analog and if I see a Dolby Digital program I switch it to Dolbly Digital mode. This works but is a hassle. I'll keep you posted.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I had the same problem with pops or like real fast drop outs on my HD100. Sony agree to try and fix it and I sent mine in. Two weeks later it came back and the note said there were no problems found. Very strange as now there are no pops or problems. Yes it was with the optical output. Strange but true.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Very interesting Milt. I'm getting ready to send in my Panasonic for the excessive fan noise, sluggish remote response, and I will definitely mention the pop/crack sound problem. I hope it comes back like yours did.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
To everyone following this thread. I just got my receiver back from Panasonic service. The following items I asked to be fixed.

1 static type pop

2 excessive fan noise

3 gargled sound when listening to DTV HDNet

4 slow channel surfing speed

5 sluggish response to output buttons on unit

6 pop and crackle when changing channels

1 was not completely fixed but radically reduced I could live with it.

2 Reduced slightly. I can still hear it over low TV volume from my listening position 11' away.

3 Fixed completely

4 Fixed completely

5 No Change. I can live with it.

6 No change apparently Mondial the manufacturers of my ACT-3 pre/pro have a software fix for this. I will see when I get it.

I would be a lot happier with the repair if the fan noise had been eliminated. I'm seriously thinking of trying to return or sell the unit for the Zenith but need to do some more research on it first. At least I will have to figure out how to disable the fan.

·
Registered
7,137 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Steve Ruddy
Pop and crackle when changing channels:

No change apparently Mondial the manufacturers of my ACT-3 pre/pro have a software fix for this. I will see when I get it.
Steve,

Any news on this fix?

For over a year now, a few of us ACT-3 owners who use software DVD players with an Audiophile 24/96 sound card have been having similar problems with loud screeches when resuming playback after pausing. (See here for an old thread, and here for my new thread about more severe problems I'm having recently).

Could you provide some more information on this fix? I contacted Adam Gershon of Mondial (lead design engineer) and he was very helpful but no solution presented itself I'm afraid.

I'm VERY curious what you've been hearing from Mondial and if things have changed. If you have any email exchanges with Mondial that are pertinent, would you mind sending them to me privately at [email protected] ?

Thanks,

Kal

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.