AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have Dish Networks, and I'm seeing more & more station logo's when viewing programs. Can these cause burn in? How long can these stationary logo's be viewed before a burn in might occur ? Do stations time the logo so burn in doesn't occur? Some logo's seem to come & go, then others are on screen longer. Thank you

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
As with any image that is static, station logos (a.k.a. watermarks) can cause burn-in. How long does it take? There are so many factors that it really is impossible to say objectively. It depends on the constrast that your projector is set at as well as the physical and temporal properties of the watermark - how long does it stay, does it orbit, is it in high contrast with respect to the rest of the image. If you do lots of widescreen movie watching you could just make sure that the area in the 4:3 frame where the watermark lies (usually bottom or top right or left) is out of the area of the phospor that would be used in the wide-screen. Or you could just turn down the contrast when watching programs with watermarks. Finally, you could purchase a beater CRT pj (maybe a Sony VPH-103xQ) or a cheap LCD (is there such a thing?) and use it exclusively for TV watching. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
14 Posts
I think there is a filter available for dscaler to handle station logos. So if you use a htpc, try to use that. Or get a pj with an orbiting function built in.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Hi;

I will not watch cable on my Pj for this very reason.

The broadcasters don't give a darn about burn in and they gotta know about this very important issue.

What will it take for these characters to take notice?

My HTPC is HiDef capable but it may be a lost cause because I'm sure they are sticking those CRT killers on those broadcast also.

Thanks

Jim

·
Registered
111 Posts
I was leaning on a couple of local TV Station Chief Engineers about this very topic and they both indicated that the logos are embedded in the network source material as they receive it.

So, if you are looking for the appropriate cages to rattle, you'll have to go to the head source.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Good luck? Ha! Forget it. CRT units make up such a insignificant portion of sets used to watch TV. The benefits in station identification that watermarks play to networks heavily outweigh any benefits to them dervied by pleasing a handful of people who watch TV on CRT FPTV. Honestly, I don't think much TV is worthy of being projected by a data-grade CRT FPTV. Enter LCDs. :D

·
Registered
394 Posts
Mike, of coarse you are right.

Do the Networks really think we are so stupid that we need to see that bug to know who we are watching?

I know we're beating a dead horse on this, but this is gonna lead to other nonsense.

Imagine going to the movies and seeing a WB in the right hand corner of the screen.

Let me take this one step further, how about a bug on our new DVD's?

Jim

·
Registered
251 Posts
Jim,

Don't give them any ideas!!!

Mike,

I really think that the only way that any action could be achieved would be through RPTV manufacturers. Have you noticed how heavily retailers are promoting RPTVs these days? Well, the majority of them are CRT units. Maybe some pressure could be exerted that way.

- David Eddy

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
Quote:
CRT units make up such a insignificant portion of sets used to watch TV
Of course CRT fp's are a miniscule portion of the TV population. But what about CRT rptv's? Aren't they also susceptible to channel logo burn-in?

Several years ago I bought a big screen rptv that had been used as a demonstrator. When I got it home I began to notice burn-in on the green tube (caused by a video camera being connected to it in the store). Luckily it was sold as new with full warranty so I got the tube replaced at no cost. But it did make me leery of ever having any projection tube display a static image for very long.

Bob Wood

·
Registered
119 Posts
I have a 16:9 screen, and use dScaler's orbiting function to keep the image moving with the 4:3 tv images. Have a look at the dscaler.ini file.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
That's a good point about the RPTVs. I often forget that they exist now that I've seen how sweet FP is! :) Though, I would think that single tubed TVs still dominate the market. I'd like to see the statistic of single tube TV sales vs. RPTV sales. When I think of RPTVs I think of lower contrast ratio compared with a data-grade FPTV. Perhaps that has changed over the past decade? In addition, wouldn't RPTV CRT tubes be less driven due to the smaller screen size and no ambient light aspects of RPTV? Granted RPTV tubes are smaller that typical FPTV tubes. I have definitely heard of RPTVs having wear issues with full vs. widescreen. Yet another reason to have a beater projector / beater TV set for lowly television. Even considering RPTV I still don't think watermarks are going anywhere. I don't think manufacturers are pushing for watermarks, but they can't be all to upset so long as the effects aren't noticed until after the warranty expires. Good ol' planned obsolescence. :D

·
Registered
460 Posts
"I was leaning on a couple of local TV Station Chief Engineers about this very topic and they both indicated that the logos are embedded in the network source material as they receive it. "

Thats not always the case. A friend of mine is a tech at a St Louis station and she says they add them there and have to display them for 12 minutes at a time and are also told to make the logos video level as "hot" as possible so it can be seen over any scene....

It sux, would be nice if the could be eliminated or at least toned down so they aren't as much a danger to our crt's...

Dave

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
Quote:
wouldn't RPTV CRT tubes be less driven due to the smaller screen size
Probably not. It takes more emission to make the same brightness level with a rear screen image than with a front screen.

Bob

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Thats not always the case. A friend of mine is a tech at a St Louis

station and she says they add them there and have to display them for 12

minutes at a time and are also told to make the logos video level as

"hot" as possible so it can be seen over any scene....

I was watching St. Louis channel 31 last night and it had a watermark on the upper right hand corner and another watermark on the bottom right hand corner! Then when there was a station break for the commercial, there was only a watermark on the upper right hand corner.

CRT burn notwithstanding, I find that looking at all this extra crap to be very annoying and a distraction from the enjoyment of the program itself. I sincerely hope the rest of the public gets tired of it too.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.