AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 1615 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Looking at disks, some have the unstable black issue, others do not. So authoring must matter.

I have not seen the black issue on the native LG Netflix app.
It may have something to do with transmission over HDMI. That is in common to disk and ATV4K playback.

The issue does not get much press but it may be the reason for delayed support on disk players and displays.

The ATV4K went all-in on DV and there are clearly Netflix playback problems with the LG (and perhaps other displays).
That should raise the stakes.

- Rich
Been looking all my DV movies really close to the TV, because sometimes the black bars are darker as hell, but still there... And they're in all movies, in a moment or another

Anyway, update from John Archer from Forbes, as he told me right now:

LG have told me their own investigations show it is not their fault. Have a meeting with Dolby tomorrow.
So as i said, or it is a DV Firmware problem, so all TV's with DV Chipset will need to be updated, or it is a DV API problem that could be solved with newer DV API for all players/TV, which could explain the delay of DV UHD players...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Looking at disks, some have the unstable black issue, others do not. So authoring must matter.

I have not seen the black issue on the native LG Netflix app.
- Rich
I've actually first noticed this issue via the native LG Netflix app when watching the latest season of Black Mirror. For some reason some episodes are HDR10 and others Dolby Vision. The title screen is simply text surrounded by black, so really easy to see the issue of raised blacks on the Dolby Vision episode vs HDR10. Crappy iphone pics -

HDR10 -

Dolby Vision -

·
Registered
785 Posts
Wow, that DV pic looks like an LCD blooming nightmare! Perhaps somewhat due to a "crappy iPhone pic".

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #24

·
Registered
7,966 Posts
How pessimistic. It's one of a number of updates that LG should put out in good faith (even though I'm questioning that more and more lately). Everybody ring them up and voice your demands for a fix.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
How pessimistic. It's one of a number of updates that LG should put out in good faith (even though I'm questioning that more and more lately). Everybody ring them up and voice your demands for a fix.
I'm already in touch with LG Spain, so they ask to the tech if they're gonna fix it... told them about the article, now waiting news...

·
Registered
3,613 Posts
So.. John archer got a update about the issue...

https://www.forbes.com/forbes/welcome/?toURL=https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnarcher/2018/01/10/apple-tv-4ks-dolby-vision-problem-a-fix-is-on-its-way/&refURL=https://t.co/vVks6NQjYz&referrer=https://t.co/vVks6NQjYz#446aa7a52906

Good news for 2017 OLED users, 2016 users can forget about this almost for sure, don't think LG will fix our TVs :)
No where in the article does it state that 2017 Oled would be fixed and 2016 models would not. The DV elevated black issue is prevalent on every DV UHD bluray title on the market in low light level scenes. I own 11 titles and is can be seen on every one as the letterbox bars lose absolute black which should never happen on an Oled. I actually believe in good faith LG will fix the issue with DV titles because as it stands it is unacceptable. HDR10 was ready for the masses. DV clearly was not ready for prime time and still isn't to this day. When this fix comes that will change.

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
I think there's a good chance that manufacturers will roll out the update for all Dolby Vision capable TVs they have produced.

Reactions: dodo/lurker

·
Registered
106 Posts
I think there's a good chance that manufacturers will roll out the update for all Dolby Vision capable TVs they have produced.
Exactly. There are consumers who think the TV is at fault and contact the manufacturer. LG can no longer say its Apple's, Oppo's, or whoever elses fault. You can be damn sure Apple, Oppo, etc, will be telling their customer service teams about this fix and will say to contact your TV manufacturer since Dolby has issued a fix. LG would have another mess on their hands if they don't acknowledge and roll out the update for all DV capable TVs.

·
Registered
7,966 Posts
No where in the article does it state that 2017 Oled would be fixed and 2016 models would not. The DV elevated black issue is prevalent on every DV UHD bluray title on the market in low light level scenes. I own 11 titles and is can be seen on every one as the letterbox bars lose absolute black which should never happen on an Oled. I actually believe in good faith LG will fix the issue with DV titles because as it stands it is unacceptable. HDR10 was ready for the masses. DV clearly was not ready for prime time and still isn't to this day. When this fix comes that will change.
HDR10 in all honesty wasn't "ready" either since no OLED can deliver the highlights and thus we see clipping (which happens to a smaller extent on LCDs). I guess it depends on your definition of ready.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
From Blu-ray.com...

I called LG today & they had no idea what I was talking about as far as a Dolby Vision update to fix the elevated black levels.

I talked to Signature Customer service. They stated they had no phone calls on elevated blacks on Dolby Vision titles. I couldn’t believe that.

I asked if they could send a note over to their engineers to ask about the update & they said no. Really hard to believe how that phone call went.

Just as expected, or people start calling, or they wont do anything :)

·
Registered
106 Posts
From Blu-ray.com..

Just as expected, or people start calling, or they wont do anything :)
Someone just posted in another thread they got an email from LG UK saying the 2016 and up TV's would be updated with the DV firmware fix. The news of Dolby's issue is spread across multiple posts in this and other forums, and we'll probably see a few more chime in with their contact experience.

·
Oppo Beta Group
11,510 Posts
Dolby confirmed the problem with LG displays only when they could announce a fix.

That means it is on the way. I am not too worried but sooner would be better.

You really cannot rely on tech support, they can be the last to know.

- Rich

·
Registered
9,979 Posts
Dolby confirmed the problem with LG displays only when they could announce a fix.

That means it is on the way. I am not too worried but sooner would be better.

You really cannot rely on tech support, they can be the last to know.

- Rich
I agree. Tech support is the same group that said to me that they never heard of the yellow streak, or the banding on the 9500 OLEDs, yet many people, including myself had gone through multiple exchanges through LG for those issues.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I was on my way to buy an Apple TV 4K in order to initiate my journey on DV (Oled 2016 owner).

Not until this weird issue is fixed.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
I was on my way to buy an Apple TV 4K in order to initiate my journey on DV (Oled 2016 owner).

Not until this weird issue is fixed.
start buying the offers already, you'll have time to enjoy them later

·
Registered
48 Posts
start buying the offers already, you'll have time to enjoy them later
Not going to take that risk.

With LG already introducing the 2018 lineup, they could very well leave the 2016 lineup behind.

I will only believe when i see it.

In the meantime maybe Apple fixes its lack of lossless audio passthrough, who knows.

·
Registered
578 Posts
I am seeing a similar Dolby Vision bug in the new UHD of IT where the entire screen goes grey. The best example is at 2h4m, just before the beginning of Chapter 13, where the screen fades to black, the title 'September' appears and then the final scene starts. Except in my case, the fade to black is a hideous grey.

My config is 2017 LG OLED with current frmware, Oppo 203 with current firmware.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #40 (Edited)
I am seeing a similar Dolby Vision bug in the new UHD of IT where the entire screen goes grey. The best example is at 2h4m, just before the beginning of Chapter 13, where the screen fades to black, the title 'September' appears and then the final scene starts. Except in my case, the fade to black is a hideous grey.

My config is 2017 LG OLED with current frmware, Oppo 203 with current firmware.
LG is slow as hell, even if it's Dolby the ones that have done ALL THE HARD WORK on the FIX, they'll take like 1 or 2 months to fix the issue and that for 2017.... 2016 users may be waiting more, or maybe we never recieve the update... I don't trust in LG anymore, will NEVER buy a LG TV again, the customer service and support has been the worst

I keep watching this...
(2016)
https://www.lgservice.co.kr/search/driverSoftTotalSearchPage.do?oldKeyWord=&type=3&menuId=&searchKeyWord=OLED55E6K&oneCateCode=1005&twoCateCode=D002795&currentPageNo=

(2017)
https://www.lgservice.co.kr/search/driverSoftTotalSearchPage.do?oldKeyWord=&type=3&menuId=&searchKeyWord=OLED55E7K&oneCateCode=1005&twoCateCode=D002795

To see if they roll a update...

21 - 40 of 1615 Posts